Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 33 1 2 3 32 33
bea175 Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
I have always been a supporter of law enforcement at the city, county and state levels. They place their lives on the line every day in order to keep a relative sense of peace and order in our society. Without the police, we would be a nation of anarchists and criminals (other than the ones in Washington D.C.).

However, police are human and sinners and sometimes they act wrongfully and in the case of two Fort Worth, Texas police officers, an innocent man died.

Jerry Waller, 73 years young, and his wife Kathy had gone to bed Monday night like they always did. Shortly after midnight, they were woken by a neighbor�s burglar alarm and bright light. Like a good neighbor, Waller grabbed his handgun and went to his garage to investigate the alarm. Waller lives across the street from the where the alarm was sounding. He was still behind his own house when the next thing he knew, two rookie police officers had opened fire on him, shooting him 6 times in the chest. Waller was instantly killed.

Kathy Waller, the grieving widow, told the local news:

�I think the police made a terrible mistake.�

�Somebody just got a little trigger happy, and away they go.�
Cpl Tracey Knight of the Fort Worth Police Department defended the actions of the two officers by saying:

�He was armed with a handgun and officers feared for their safety. They felt threatened, and that�s when they shot him.�

�Officers did follow policies and procedures according to burglary alarm calls. Two officers were dispatched. Both were driving marked police cars. Both were in full police uniforms. They identified themselves as police officers. I don�t know what lead to this tragic event.�
The two police officers involved were both rookies with less than a year�s experience on the police force. According to the reports, the two officers have been placed on administrative leave pending an investigation.

Are we supposed to understand that proper police procedure is to shoot someone before talking to them or finding out who they are and what they�re doing? When did the two officers identify themselves � as they were shooting or before? They claimed they feared for their lives when they say Waller with his gun, but aren�t they supposed to try to capture people alive if possible?

I don�t see anything about this incident that looks like proper police procedure. It looks like two rookie cops panicked and reacted to Jerry Waller before they thought about what they were doing. If that is the case, then neither of these two officers have any business being on the street in uniform.

If Jerry Waller had opened fire on an innocent person like the two officers did, he would be sitting in jail facing charges. From the evidence given so far, I believe these two officers should also be sitting in jail facing charges for the wrongful death of Jerry Waller. I�ll be curious to see what the police investigation turns up and how they will attempt to exonerate the two officers.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
GB1

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
So there's an alarm going off at a house and a bright light -alarm light type deal.
A man across the street from the alarmed house is looking towards the possible crime scene from his own garage -two cops shoot him six times.
A 73 year old man at that.

Police departments REALLY need to change the way they choose these stupid azzwipes.
See a gun that's not in the hand of a comrade =start blasting away ----why not when your boss has your back.

Rest in Peace Jerry Waller -prayer for the family.

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
bea175, do you have a link to the article you posted? I'm not doubting what happened, I'm just curious where it came from.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It's a bad deal...

Cops respond to a burglary across the street and the old guy responds too...carrying his pistol. Word is, he refused to drop it and waved it around with two rookie cops drawn down on him.

A really bad deal.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I'm certainly not forming any opinion on this deal. It does not look good for the Ft. Worth Police. Steve Hall, the Ft. Worth officer that made a statement, according to my wife, was a friend of my sons when they were young about 38 years ago. Steve made a statement on local TV a little earlier today.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I could see my Dad walking into something like that. Tragic.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by ltppowell
That' a bad deal...

Cops respond to a burglary across the street and the old guy responds too...carrying his pistol. Word is, he refused to drop it and waved it around with two rookie cops drawn down on him.

A really bad deal.

Yeah, tragic for all concerned.

I guess a good lesson from this, don't go into a live, evolving situation waving a weapon. Keep it holstered or out of sight until time to fire it.

Those rookies panicked and took out the old man, who was just seeing what was happening at his neighbor's house.

Gotta be a better protocol for both sides, the neighbor and the police.

Like the Warden (actor, Strother Martin) said in the Cool Hand Luke movie, "What we have here is a failure to communicate".

DF

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
What the cops need to learn to do is back away and figure things out -not start shooting .

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ol_mike
What the cops need to learn to do is back away and figure things out -not start shooting .

Maybe. I've almost killed several people in the same circumstances, but luckily they had their senses about them. I can imagine what would happen if the old fella was half blind, deaf, etc. Like I said...I could see my Dad in that situation.

IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by ol_mike

Except its OUR job to be there not his, he should have put his weapon down. He placed himself in a bad situation. Its a trajic trajic situation all around for ALL concerned. But until YOU have walked in our ahoes the best thing to do is STFU

Last edited by gitem_12; 05/30/13.

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ltppowell
Tragic.

Yup.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm not LEO baiting, but more and more it seems that...

Protect = protect my own ass first

Serve = Serve the self-serving government animal first

This has become the prevalent perception, for whatever reason.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Rule 1) You can't help anybody else if you're dead.

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I'm certain that the old man was stupid enough to start waving a gun around when, thankfully, two of Ft Worths finest showed up to investigate the alarm- not. I guess if he had started shooting their direction, he would have been as stupid as them.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I am going to wait and see how this woks out. If the officers told him to put his gun down and he didn't put his hearing aids in or just did not understand them then I can see where the officers would have acted as they did.

Tragic all the way around. I am sure these two officers and not sleeping well just as the widow is.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Put yourself in the cops shoes. Respond to burglary alarm, find man in immediate vicinity( i believe he was in the yard), with a gun in his hand and you identify yourself and order him to put it down, now who knows. He may have been hard of hearing or disoriented who knows. Now you have ordered this armed man to drop his gun and he does not comply. If its me im not asking a third time

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by luv2safari
I'm not LEO baiting, but more and more it seems that...

Protect = protect my own ass first

Serve = Serve the self-serving government animal first

This has become the prevalent perception, for whatever reason.

Prevalent perception in some circles, no doubt. But perception ain't always reality. Just saying.

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
Isn't self preservation the natural human condition?

Tragic? Of course. Understandable? Yes.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by gitem_12
Put yourself in the cops shoes. Respond to burglary alarm, find man in immediate vicinity( i believe he was in the yard), with a gun in his hand and you identify yourself and order him to put it down, now who knows. He may have been hard of hearing or disoriented who knows. Now you have ordered this armed man to drop his gun and he does not comply. If its me im not asking a third time
He was in his own driveway. Pay attention to detail.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it's natural manure. - Thomas Jefferson
Page 1 of 33 1 2 3 32 33

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

85 members (10gaugemag, AdventureBound, 300_savage, AB2506, 14 invisible), 4,148 guests, and 729 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,447
Posts18,528,808
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.