Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I think the theory is that grass fed beef have higher omega-3 fatty acid content as well living under better conditions than a feedlot cow.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
If it wasn't for the high food prices, gas, taxes and medical insurance we would have a pretty good life. It used to be food and taxes. I am going to put in a garden next year and apply for cow elk tags only to try to keep up.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SamOlson

Bought a local hog and had it processed and we have 3 or 4 large feedlot bovine candidates for the freezer as well.

if you wind up with more than your freezer can hold im in the market for everything but burger....pulled the last two roasts out of the freezer this week.....still got a chit load of burger though from the last half a steer we bought crazy dont have teenagers in the house frying a package up for an afternoon snack anymore laugh

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by brinky72
Originally Posted by bbassi
It's funny - up where our camp is in upstate NY all you ever saw was dairy cows. The grounds not all that good for corn and they get 2 cuttings of hay if they are lucky. The last 2 years I've seen at least 5 new beef operations start up withing 10 miles of my camp. I'd guess each one of those is carrying 2-300 head. Mostly Angus. We haven't been hit with drought and there's usually plenty of "grass" to feed the beef.;

As a side note - I get such a kick out of the new marketing campaigns for "grass fed" beef. Just because ranchers can't afford corn the beef is now more better because they are raised on grass? crazy whistle

Not a rancher, butcher or beef man but, I believe the grass fed beef campaign is more on the lines of a cleaner non GMO beef. Corn is used to fatten up cattle obviously and is a GMO (genetically modified organism). Grass isn't. Some varieties of corn actually create their own type of pesticide which some folks don't wish to eat. I believe this is where the grass fed beef craze is coming from.

Not all corn is a GMO. Many variety's are just hybrids. The grass fed beef campaign mostly comes from the all natural crowd, because beefers didnt eat corn in the wild. Therefore its unhealthy to eat beef that was raised on corn/silage.

Personally I prefer a corn fed animal. We sell a small portion of our fed cattle by the half. Some of our customers have tried a grass fed animal and hated it. The problem with grass feed beef is that it can a long time to raise a steer to full size. So you can wind up with an old animal who is as tough as leather. Plus grass fed is cheaper to raise so a lot the time if the farmer is being cheap, they may be using a "cheap"/chitty animal to start with.

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by atomchaser
I think the theory is that grass fed beef have higher omega-3 fatty acid content as well living under better conditions than a feedlot cow.

i can't remember exactly, but seems like there was a time that grain-fed feedlot beef was marketed as superior, as it had more flavor and marbling.

then the kick came along to raise and market pasture fed beef, was healthier and more flavorful. who knows what they will try to sell us next.

IC B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Gus
Originally Posted by atomchaser

i can't remember exactly, but seems like there was a time that grain-fed feedlot beef was marketed as superior, as it had more flavor and marbling.

then the kick came along to raise and market pasture fed beef, was healthier and more flavorful. who knows what they will try to sell us next.

I remember that period of time as well. The grass fed beef was marketed in the stores as a less expensive "thrifty" alternative to the higher priced grain fed beef.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by SamOlson

I'm wondering how one would be if they were on grass for a month before they get butchered or if they should be done right now(been on ground grass/corn silage/wheat pellet diet for the last 6 months).

I was a little worried the beef might get a little bland if they went on Spring grass?

We whacked 5 on April 23, they'd been grazing the spring flush for about two weeks and turned off on dry hay. They were still getting 2% bodyweight of a 14% commodity pellet and ground corn, though they were starting to leave some due to the heat setting in. We usually butcher a few weeks earlier to avoid any spring grass (and wild onions), and neither the wife or myself or any of our buyers have noticed a change in flavor.

God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy...
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Some of the best beef I ever ate was from those funny wooly looking Scottish Highland buggers. A buddy of mine raised them and fed them only the feed that he raised. It was non-GMO feed that had been grown using natural fertilizer (manure I assume) and no pesticides. I bought a side from him and was damn happy with ever bite.

Keep your powder dry and stay frosty my friends.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I'll take corn-finished beef that are still grazing around the pastures close to the barn over pure grass-fed any day.

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
[bleep] grass fed beef ,give me the corn fed stuff. More flavor no doubt.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
IC B3

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I have some Angus for sale $3.00 lb hanging weight total cost includes all processing fees and cut/wrap. Will be ready around Aug 7. 300-400 lb half.

�Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program." -- Milton Friedman
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by sidepass
[bleep] grass fed beef ,give me the corn fed stuff. More flavor no doubt.

was raised eating grass fed, dont care for feedlot beef.....when your raised on one the other doesnt taste right.....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
In the last 10 years, or so, hay has gone from about $90 / ton to nearly $300 / ton. Range cubes have gone from $168 / ton to $483 / ton. Gasoline from (IRC) $1.68 / gal to $3.67 / gal.

Feeders from (IIRC) $110 / cwt to $143 / cwt. Expenses have doubled to tripled - returns have increased app 25%.

Yeahhhhh - we're making a killing!!!

Mark
(A rich cattleman!)

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by mark shubert
In the last 10 years, or so, hay has gone from about $90 / ton to nearly $300 / ton. Range cubes have gone from $168 / ton to $483 / ton. Gasoline from (IRC) $1.68 / gal to $3.67 / gal.

Feeders from (IIRC) $110 / cwt to $143 / cwt. Expenses have doubled to tripled - returns have increased app 25%.

Yeahhhhh - we're making a killing!!!

Mark
(A rich cattleman!)

Sorry to hear that Mark.
I was sure hoping the beef prices were helping you guys at more then that, but unfortunately you confirmed my fears....

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Mark has it right. Everything has gone up in price in the last decade including fuel, feed, land, vehicles, taxes......... But beef is supposed to be cheap?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I havent read the whole thread, but I read in the newspaper yesterday where the cattle count was the lowest since 1952. The drought was the main cause.

Thus the high beef prices

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Corn is used in many types of food as a supplement as in corn syrup. Feeding cattle a corn diet to finish them, overwhelms their system with glycogen and causes many changes most of which are not good. It does increase the fat and marbling which is desirable in the traditional sense of evaluating a carcass.

There are many health benefits to grass fed beef and benefits to the beef raisers if they can market directly to the consumer. Feedlot cattle are in close confines with thousands of other animals. They are fed lots of anti-biotics and hormones.

The only cure for life and death is to enjoy the interval.
George Santayana
E
edk Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Feeding them corn might alter them some but i'm guessing the bullet to the head is a bigger change. ED K

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I buy grass fed beef around here from local farmers and let the feedlot sh.it get displayed in it's 'wet aged' styrofoam cloak at the supermarket.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ppine
They are fed lots of anti-biotics and hormones.

You know this from firsthand experience? Meaning you have actually witnessed it with your own eyes? Or, are you just repeating what some "expert" said? We feed our cattle to finish hormone free and the only time they get anti-biotics is when they are sick. I have no problem with grass finished beef but be careful about using a broad brush to paint the rest of the industry. Much of the information provided by the "experts" is provided in a way to further their own agenda. And, that agenda most of the time is not only against animal agriculture but also against hunting and fishing.

If we lose freedom here there is nowhere to escape to. This is the last stand on earth. Ronald Reagan

Originally Posted by Steelhead

who gives a [bleep] about the stuff that goes wrong

Tough to be pissed when God gives you dogs

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

630 members (160user, 12344mag, 17Hunter, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 163bc, 69 invisible), 2,767 guests, and 1,235 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,434
Posts18,507,636
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.