24hourcampfire.com
-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OP Offline
I'm in the process of clearing my food plot area of poison oak and blackberry bushes... But roundup is getting expensive. Anybody use a custom mixture of chemicals that is cost effect and does the job quick?

Thanks

GB1

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Both are very tough to kill plants. Roundup is the only compound I know of that even the EPA will allow to be used for not just aerial spraying but for use in domestic waterways. E

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I've heard vinegar & salt is an alternative to round-up. No personal experience though.

OP Offline
I've also heard using a salt mixture in a backpack sprayer will encourage deer to clear out unwanted brush...haven't tried it though...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
if you can do it, boiling water will kill any terrestrial plant

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Goats.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
2-4 - D will do it but I don't know if you can buy it without a license. Almost any agricultural herbicide will do it like Grazon but again I don't know about licensing where you are.

Sorry you asked about home made mixtures-- gasoline or diesel in a sprayer with some dish soap will do it but it will kill every thing else too.

Last edited by Boggy Creek Ranger; 05/06/13.

Quando Omni Moritati
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco
Goats.

This. There are a number of outfits in your area (I am assuming Willamette Valley) that rent goats for this purpose. The also eat Scotch Broom, poison ivy, english ivy and will clear out lots of woody underbrush as well. No herbicide can compare in cost effectiveness.

Keep in mind that removing any invasive plant on a large scale is a multiple year process.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
40% Vinegar and Orange Oil - acts as a defoliant and takes multiple application. Usually ends up costing more than Glyphosate especially if you by concentrate at the agg co-ops.

20 Mule team Borax and dish detergent in a saturated solution. Need to soak down the leaves and roots. Nothing will grow there until it is washed out or diluted by rains.

Goats are a sure thing if you can keep them in the area. I have heard of outfits that do the whole deal - hot wire fence and even keep a Great Pyrenees with the goats to keep coyotes away. Not sure if there is anything like that in your area.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Diesel and dawn dish washing liquid will kill kudzu so it should work on poison ivy.

I do know for a fact the so called 'round up brush and poison ivy killer' will not kill the plant. It only slows it down a little.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
quantify expensive?

yes Roundup is expensive

......but generics (gly-4) are much, much cheaper.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
My BIL has the same issue and went with goats, he wanted 2 and ended up with 23! They are apparently doing a fabulous job though.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
check with a local hardware associated with a chain. for example
Ace, etc. They will sell the same chemical in an off-brand form that is cheaper than the name brand. Read the ingredient labels.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/gordonsreg%3B-pronto-big-n-tuf-41%25-glyphosate-weed--grass-killer-2-1-2-gal

This will make 100 gallons of generic roundup. I add a little Dawn dishwashing soap as a surfactant. Sticks better to poison ivy leaves. A tablespoon or two of diesel in the sprayer always finishes off any plant.

G
G
Crossbow is designed for woody plants. I usually use equal mix of Crossbow and Roundup. Pretty effective. Whereabouts in Oregon are you?

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
+1 Crossbow will work well.

Also tank mixing Round-up with a "brush killer" that has Triclopyr as it's active ingredient will do a number on woody plants (Crossbow also uses Triclopyr but sometimes it's restricted for homeowner use)

You can really improve the effectiveness of glyphosate by acidifying the water before mixing along with a surfactant.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Eremicus
Both are very tough to kill plants. Roundup is the only compound I know of that even the EPA will allow to be used for not just aerial spraying but for use in domestic waterways. E

Read a lot of labels do ya? confused

Home brews? No.

Chemicals that will kill it dead? There are plenty.

In Oregon you should be able to get Crossbow. It's a combo of Garlon 4 and 2,4-d ester if memory serves me right. Read and follow all label directions. Wear your personal protective equipment and treat it with respect. A good crop oil will help cut the waxy cuticle layer on poison oak so grab some of that as well. This stuff will enter the entire plant as opposed to glyphosate (roundup) that will only enter the green part, so make sure you wet the whole plant. With this in mind, spraying poison oak that has grown up a tree, you are risking losing that tree.

Last edited by Higbean; 06/04/13.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
my mother in law

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by Benjaminray
I'm in the process of clearing my food plot area of poison oak and blackberry bushes... But roundup is getting expensive. Anybody use a custom mixture of chemicals that is cost effect and does the job quick?

Thanks

Go to the feed store and buy around 500 lbs cattle salt [cheap] mix it with water in your sprayer, I have a 300 gallon sprayer and mix in five 50 lb sacks per every 300 gallons.

Gunner

Trump Won!
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Careful with the salt. It stays in the soil forever.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

551 members (1minute, 007FJ, 1936M71, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 56 invisible), 2,549 guests, and 1,359 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,558
Posts18,473,095
Members73,940
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.