Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 39 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 38 39
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by THOMASMAGNUM
Its your call Ken. If you want I am positive we can find a way to muster up some suitale loaded .220 Howell. I know of one active loader nearby you by who might be coerceable. �

Thanks, but I'd probably better leave it as-is for now.

When I decide how and to whom to pass it along, he can decide who'll be loading for it.

And whoever'll be loading for it can decide which powder to use.

It's never been fired. It was to be the ultimate of my three .220 Howells, and I scooped enough bucks into it to make my knees watery whenever I even think of what the total would be.

I aimed to shoot the heck out of it, of course, but got it � complete and ready to go � just after the stroke that killed my hope of ever shooting again. Several surgeries and complications have further doomed my shooting.

I have a hard case, the custom dies, 100 or more head-stamped virgin .220 Howell cases, and over 6,000 Hornady 75-grain Hornady A-Maxes for it. I also have four scopes, with rings, for the Talbot QD mount. The scope that's on it now is a stainless 32x Weaver. Planned to add something a bit more powerful but had to abandon that notion (the Weaver came when I was in the hospital).

If you have QuickLOAD, you can get some idea of what to expect it to do. I set the seating depth (in QuickLOAD) to 0.555 inch (shank 0.375 inch) and ran the scale for optimum powders to fill the net capacity of the case to 90�100% full and 50,000 lb/in� maximum pressure. IIRC, Ramshot Magnum would theoretically poke that A-Max out of he 26-inch barrel at 3,300�3,400 ft/sec and a tad less than 50,000 lb/in�.

Oehler's Ballistic Explorer predicts that such a load would make the classic .220 Swift factory loads look like grade-school spitballs beyond about 200 yards.

These 75-grain A-Maxes look like they oughta do a coupla hundred ft/sec just sittin' on the shelf! laugh

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Ken, honored to say the reamer for this intriguing barn burner of a cartridge sits here at my humble digs.

I would imagine that working with a soft blank, I could gen up a neck bushing die, to be suitably heat treated afterward (are you listening tex n cal ?) I hesitate to try and do initial case forming with a set up like that.

I've got a hunch that it WOULD work, though.

Win .270 brass to start, right ?

GTC

Last edited by crossfireoops; 05/31/13.

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Ken Howell
These 75-grain A-Maxes look like they oughta do a coupla hundred ft/sec just sittin' on the shelf! laugh

They are indeed a sleek looking bullet. Downright racey.
I shoot it out of my .223 AI, and its a dream.
[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
.270 brass'd make suitable cases, all right, but I'd prefer .25-06.

Two preliminary steps'd be necessary. (They won't form in just one pass. You can easily guess how I know!)
� Start massaging the shoulder back with an 8x57mm Mauser sizer.
� Continue massaging the shoulder back with a 7x57mm Mauser sizer backed-off about 0.10 inch.

The resulting case should then form properly in the .220 Howell sizer � and need only be trimmed, reamed, and probably annealed.

"Good enough" isn't.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
Ken, honored to say the reamer for this intriguing barn burner of a cartridge sits here at my humble digs. �

That's the original reamer for this rifle, Greg.

Has also chambered one or two more since this one, so it's reasonably fresh.

"Good enough" isn't.

IC B2

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
What a great crowd of A+, top shelf gentlemen.

I will truly look forward to pics of this soiree!

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Get more than pics Bob..
Come on out and make an appearance. Its a grand time with some of the finest company.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
� I scooped enough bucks into it to make my knees watery whenever I even think of what the total would be. �

Having thus begun, I reckon that I oughta add a few major details �

� original Nesika bench-rest action (single-shot)
� 26-inch Broughton bench-rest barrel with Howell straight-taper contour for maximum stiffness
� H-S Precision tactical stock with integral aluminum chassis (glass-bedded)
� Remington trigger (with safety removed), with Kiplinger single-set finger piece
� Talbot QD mount
� Harris bipod
� butt monopod

Since I don't trust variable scopes, and prairie-dog towns are at a variety of long distances away, I opted for the Talbot mount (which always goes back smack to zero) and four good more-reliable fixed-power scopes � 8x, 12x, 24x, and 32x � to be zeroed for whatever range of distances that I'd be shooting.

Designed and commissioned this hummer to be a "field model" bench-rest piece.

"Good enough" isn't.

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
No doubt about the fine company. While I've had the pleasure of you and your son's company, there's 20 more hands I'd definitely like to shake in this upcoming crowd of folks. I could definitely bore Greg and Ken for at least one Happy Hour.

This would be a tough one to pass up. I'll look into it further,Tom.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by isaac
� I could definitely bore Greg and Ken for at least one Happy Hour. �

Allow a few more for reciprocation!

"Good enough" isn't.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by crossfireoops

I would imagine that working with a soft blank, I could gen up a neck bushing die, to be suitably heat treated afterward (are you listening tex n cal ?) I hesitate to try and do initial case forming with a set up like that.

GTC

so a stick of, say A-2 tool steel 1.25" dia would work? After machining - Austentitize in stainless foil, air cool, Harden & double temper to Rc 56-60?

I think someone once told me most commercial dies are made of A-2, as it changes dims very little in hardening.

I could likely round up the material pretty easily, though I'd have to farm out the heat treat.

Last edited by tex_n_cal; 05/31/13. Reason: clarify

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I wonder how many cases could be acceptably formed in good unhardened tool steel.

After all, once you've formed a batch of brass, you don't need forming dies any more.

Also, you don't need forming dies if you use the sizer dies that I mentioned above.

Some dimensional variation is acceptable from a forming die anyway. The sizing die trues 'em up, doesn't it?

"Good enough" isn't.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I wonder how many cases could be acceptably formed in good unhardened tool steel.

After all, once you've formed a batch of brass, you don't need forming dies any more.

Also, you don't need forming dies if you use the sizer dies that I mentioned above.

Some dimensional variation is acceptable from a forming die anyway. The sizing die trues 'em up, doesn't it?

Back around the time when Joe Garagiola had hair, one enterprising soul made a chamber cast of his whomper, poured a can of hard plaster around it, melted the chamber cast out, and cobbled-up a few cases that his sizer would accept.

Probably hadda use gobs o' lube.

"Good enough" isn't.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Ken, I've got some large rimmed .45 body forming dies I made out of the crops off of mostly octagon Badger barrels. They used to use a .8750" "Fixture" on the muzzle end of their blanks for their deep holing and rifling,....it sure made things pretty easy and straight forward......prior to crowning I'd just pick up that Dia., and thread 14tpi, Run the reamer in.....than lop off the 'Drop' (and crown). Most everybody wanted 32" or 30" barrels, so the 36" blanks had adequate material (just) to spare.

The Chro moly steel, polished out has literally done 100s of cases without a scratch or a hiccup.

These are of course, STRAIGHT cases,.......I've not all that much experience in re-forming / wildcatting the bottlenecks (yet wink )

In truth, it all seems pretty straightforward from this vantage point.

GTC

-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Border Doc

Cool we are.

August here will probably be nicer than wherever you are at the time.

Unless you join the party, you will never know just HOW COOL the CampFire Shindigs are. I seem to meet the nicest people there, instantly dear friends, who were strangers before.

This is one of the big opportunities the 24HCF folks have created. Don't miss it.

Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Judy and the kids are planning on going, me, well depends on what is going on the farm at that time. �

When Judy's around, does anybody notice whether you are? grin
No,I'm not noticed,that gives me the chance to sneak away and do something fun. wink

this is top of my bucket list....looks like my main project will be in the final stages...working on 2 others to accompany me wink

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by rattler
will see if i can work a way to come down, chances are slim at the moment but ill see what i can do....

Hey! You have to keep me awake driving!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
think I'll bring the 7 & 1/2 pound .45-90...

[Linked Image]

grin

I'll try to remember to bring my 1886 45-90 and my 416 Rem ........

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've made a passel o' goodies from shop scrap.

Once made a beautiful, ever so carefully fitted barrel-band swivel base � lotsa hand work with files � and found (when I went to blue it) it was stainless! frown

"Good enough" isn't.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Ya',.....BTDT

ALWAYS hit the workpiece with a drop of clod blue,....right.....?

Oops, ....was so busy I forgot,....

chit,.....

GTC

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Everything that I'd made at that point � from the same box of scrap � had been chrome-moly barrel stubs.

"Good enough" isn't.

Page 7 of 39 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 38 39

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

184 members (3333vl, 450yukon, 264mag, 204guy, 17CalFan, 25 invisible), 2,111 guests, and 1,156 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,625
Posts18,492,881
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.