Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Alessio
If they are "subcontractors" why do you have to pay them to pick up scraps? Subcontractors are usually paid a lump sum bid amount or by a per unit price, not by the hour.

GB1

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
I lumped day laborers in with subs, the same applies and has occurred with both. I'm sure someone could build a spaceship with crappy tools and have it work flawlessly, I just want people who invest and reinvest in themselves.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Allesio,what kind of GC work do you do...residential or commercial confused

I suppose we could add an addendum to the standard AIA Contractor/Subcontractor agreement that says no ryobi tools allowed.... smile

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
"inexpensive rifles" A K A "inexpensive tools" ??????

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Just add it to Div. 1.Then everybody is covered.

AIessio, does a 100 Million+ Hotel/Resort count as "high scale"?

IC B2

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
You guys do what you want. Maybe I'm wrong and buying foreign disposable crap isn't funding our demise. I feel good about buying American when possible and knowing it will work when I need it to.
To me a simple minded person enjoys replacing the same piece of crap every few years because they get to play with something new.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Alessio
Originally Posted by stillbeeman
Originally Posted by Prwlr

You can get results from ryobi but it is the reliability that makes jobs suffer. When the motors burn up in the middle of the job and I have to pay a journeyman to sweep and pick up scraps for the rest of the day, loan them my tools for the 1000anth time or send them home I start to form an opinion. The batteries lasting 20 minutes per charge and me watching them run back and forth to the charger with two crappy batteries adds to the frustration.

How many times have you had that happen? Really a 1000? That's a lot and I doubt that it has happened.

purchase the best tools I can afford

Perhaps they do too. And your later post about buying American is a guarentee of quality was perhaps true at one time but not anymore.

Aim for the exit hole.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Day laborers supply their own power tools? Couple of things wrong there, laborers, at least on any normal sight don't use power tools, unless it's a flea bag contractor trying to scam Davis Bacon.
Also, subcontractors show up, apparently with no contract so that you can tell them to go home because they have the wrong tools?
I'd be curious to see just what kind of contractor you are. You certainly don't seem to have the terminology down.

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
So Alessio, what kind of contracting do you do?

Funny that you judge people by the tools and rifles they use but preach to others about judging gays. confused

Last edited by SLM; 05/31/13.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by NathanL
I would put more stock in the "hunters can't afford the $700+ rifles" theory if most of the ones who were saying that to me weren't driving $60k trucks pulling a trailer with (4) 4 wheelers on it that cost between $3k and $10k each, while driving out to their lease which cost $1k-$5k per year.

Thats exactly why they CANT afford 700.00 plus rifles.

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I grew up in a blue collar family, but was blessed to have a Dad that cared enough about my future to drag me into the woods with him every weekend for the two month deer season. My Dad didn't look at rifles as pieces of museum art. He was raised in a ranching family, and rifles were tools. Well cared for and properly maintained, but at the end of the day they were tools.

My first firearms were an inexpensive bolt action Marlin .22, and a Savage bolt action .410 shotgun. When I mastered both of those, I graduated to a "cheap" Savage 340 in 30-30, with the factory mounted Savage branded 4X scope in the cheap sheet metal mounts. A little research shows that rig cost my Dad less than $100 new back in 1970.

I guess I didn't know that you needed a rifle costing 5 times that much to kill a deer. The fact is that I killed a pile of pretty large south Texas whitetails with that rifle.

With that $49 Marlin 22, I was able to harvest two seasons worth of coons and foxes, that generated enough income to get me into a brand new Remington 600 Mohawk in .308, and a Leupold 3-9.

Since that day, 40 years ago, I have worked myself up a decent collection of nice rifles, with very decent scopes. I still have fond memories of hunting with those "cheap rifles".

I guess my long-winded post was written to say that not everyone has the financial resources to buy high-end trophy rifles, with $1k+ optics, and drive $50K pickup trucks. Some people get up every morning and work their butts off, just to feed their families, and maybe have a little money left over to buy one of those "cheap rifles" and a $50 scope, so that their kids can have a rifle of their own for Christmas.

The arrogance and gun-snobs that I often read about so much on here just don't get it. If you have a safe full of full custom hunting rifles, all wearing top-end Swarovski optics, then I'm happy for you! Just don't forget that not everyone needs a $3500 rig to kill deer, and feel proud to be a hunter. They damn sure don't need you reminding them that their tools of the trade are trash!

At the end of the day, we are all shooters and/or hunters. What shoots for me not work for you, but that doesn't give me license to trash talk what your chosen tools. I respect you for being part of my hunting/shooting fraternity, not for what tool you choose to do it with.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
dg -

Wow, that's the BEST post in this whole thread.

My hat's off to ya!

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by jwall
Originally Posted by Fifth

2) make the sport more accessible to more people, thereby possibly increasing the consumer base

The way I see it, there are a lot of hunters who are not ABLE to pay 700.- infinity $ for a gun they will ONLY shoot a FEW Xs a year.

At least with a CHEAP gun they can go hunting. That's a good thing for several reasons.

We NEED more GUN OWNERS, regardless of the $ or quality of the gun.

We NEED more hunters RAISING little hunters.

etc. etc.

JW - redux !

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by jwall
dg -

Wow, that's the BEST post in this whole thread.

My hat's off to ya!

+ ONE more on that praise!

Excellent post there DoorGunner!

I inherited a 1930s Marlin in 30/30 from my grand dad, that some ass stole back in Minnesota.. I am sure that gun didn't cost much back when he bought it around 1935.. but was probably a lot of money for him in those days with a growing family of daughters...

That rifle put a lot of food on the table for his family, that and an old Savage single shot 410.. which gratefully I still have that one from his modest "arsenal".. those were tools in his world also...and they fed a family year round back before the 1950s...

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Well said, DG.

Aim for the exit hole.
AJD Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by stillbeeman
Originally Posted by Prwlr

You can get results from ryobi but it is the reliability that makes jobs suffer. When the motors burn up in the middle of the job and I have to pay a journeyman to sweep and pick up scraps for the rest of the day, loan them my tools for the 1000anth time or send them home I start to form an opinion. The batteries lasting 20 minutes per charge and me watching them run back and forth to the charger with two crappy batteries adds to the frustration.

How many times have you had that happen? Really a 1000? That's a lot and I doubt that it has happened.

Over the last 30 years I have had to loan my tools out many times to keep jobs going. I don't believe one thousand times to be an exaggeration. I sacrafice in other areas to purchase the best tools I can afford, they buy beer, cigarettes, atvs, boats and the cheapest tools they can find.
I doubt you've been on any upscale job sites.

Maybe if they were paid the "high-end upscale wage" they could afford the "high-end upscale" tools you so admire.

There is no accounting for taste.

Experience is a great thing as long as one survives it.

Generally, there ain't a lot that separates the two however,
Barely making it is a whole lot more satisfying than barely not making it.
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

601 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 19rabbit52, 163bc, 10gaugeman, 1936M71, 53 invisible), 2,321 guests, and 1,219 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,620
Posts18,511,949
Members74,008
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.