CLICK HERE for $200 INSTANT SAVING - ANSWER THE CHALLENGE!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#7783152 - 05/31/13 09:15 PM Slow Cooker Chicken Gizzards in Gravy
ColKlink Offline
Campfire Guide

Loc: Georgia, CSA
I posted this in the Hunter's Campfire but should probably post it here as well cause it is delicious.

Dogzapper taught me how to make this dish. I've always fried them but these are slow cooked in gravy and served over Basmati rice. Good stuff, the gizzards are so tender you can cut them with a fork. They were also darn tasty for breakfast this morning served over fresh biscuits. If they weren't so high in cholesterol I'd eat them every day.

This is super easy to make. You just wash them off and then put them in the Crockpot with a package of gravy mix, I used Pioneer brown gravy mix but Steve said any gravy mix will do. Mrs. Dzapper said to put in a cup or so more water than what the gravy mix calls for which I did and then after they were done I let it boil off a bit to thicken the gravy. I threw them in the Crockpot last night before bed and let them cook on low overnight. I love fried gizzards but I must admit these are even better. $1.46 at Kroger for 2 lbs of gizzards and $.89 for the packet of gravy mix, that's cheap eats and it's darn good.

-Jefferson Davis

#7783210 - 05/31/13 09:42 PM Re: Slow Cooker Chicken Gizzards in Gravy [Re: ColKlink]
amax155 Offline
Campfire Guide

Loc: Ellisville, Ms
HHHMMMMMMM!!!

#7783443 - 06/01/13 04:54 AM Re: Slow Cooker Chicken Gizzards in Gravy [Re: ColKlink]
Boggy Creek Ranger Offline
Campfire Kahuna

Loc: Leon County Texas
That will tighten your clutch.

#7783483 - 06/01/13 05:19 AM Re: Slow Cooker Chicken Gizzards in Gravy [Re: Boggy Creek Ranger]
dvdegeorge Offline
Campfire 'Bwana

Loc: Western N.Y.
Looks great!

#7783692 - 06/01/13 06:56 AM Re: Slow Cooker Chicken Gizzards in Gravy [Re: dvdegeorge]
vbshootinrange Offline
Campfire Tracker

Loc: RETIRED in Oregon, USA
Looks great!

How long do you boil them to thicken the gravy?

Last batch of fried gizzards I made turned out tuff. This sounds way better!

Virgil B.

#7783958 - 06/01/13 08:34 AM Re: Slow Cooker Chicken Gizzards in Gravy [Re: vbshootinrange]
ColKlink Offline
Campfire Guide

Originally Posted By: vbshootinrange
Looks great!

How long do you boil them to thicken the gravy?

Last batch of fried gizzards I made turned out tuff. This sounds way better!

Virgil B.

I let them cook for about 12 hrs in the slow cooker. I have a crockpot with a removable ceramic pot and when they were tender I put it on the stove and brought it to a boil and let the gravy boil for 10 minutes or so until it thickened up a bit.

-Jefferson Davis

#7785338 - 06/01/13 07:27 PM Re: Slow Cooker Chicken Gizzards in Gravy [Re: ColKlink]
crowhorse Offline

Loc: Oklahoma
Ima makin' this . . . . .

#7785783 - 06/02/13 02:09 AM Re: Slow Cooker Chicken Gizzards in Gravy [Re: crowhorse]
EdM Offline
Campfire Tracker

Loc: 'tween Korea,Texas,Idaho
A slow cook of a mix of cream of mushroom and onion soup works very well too.

#7785853 - 06/02/13 04:25 AM Re: Slow Cooker Chicken Gizzards in Gravy [Re: ColKlink]
Campfire Kahuna

I am going to make that the way you and Miz Dogzapper say and see how it turns out. Then I believe I am going to do it with the additions that I thought of when I first looked at the picture. I believe some onion and celery would be good in there with the gizzards. Maybe throw in some mushrooms at the last too.

#7786078 - 06/02/13 06:32 AM Re: Slow Cooker Chicken Gizzards in Gravy [Re: Boggy Creek Ranger]
vbshootinrange Offline
Campfire Tracker

Thanks ColKlink!

Cooked up my Gizzies last night in the crockpot, now I need to boil to thicken up.

They already taste GREAT!!!!!

My two "golden girls" love them also!

Virgil B.

#7786315 - 06/02/13 08:20 AM Re: Slow Cooker Chicken Gizzards in Gravy [Re: vbshootinrange]
vbshootinrange Offline
Campfire Tracker

ColKlink,

Am I reading this right?

Did you pull the ceramic pot out of you crockpot and put it directly on a burner?

Am thinking the ceramic pot would crack from the direct heat?

Put mine in an Analon pot to boil them, just in case.

Will add rice when I warm 'em up later today.

Virgil B.

#7786702 - 06/02/13 11:21 AM Re: Slow Cooker Chicken Gizzards in Gravy [Re: vbshootinrange]
ColKlink Offline
Campfire Guide

Virgil,

Yeah, I put it right on the stove, it's a real heavy ceramic and ours is one of those glass type stovetops with the element under the glass. I've never thought about it cracking but maybe I should! shocked

Boggy Creek,

I think those additions sound great, especially mushrooms. Yum.

I hope y'all enjoy them, I thought they were great.

Edited by ColKlink (06/02/13 11:23 AM)

-Jefferson Davis

#7788502 - 06/03/13 06:58 AM Re: Slow Cooker Chicken Gizzards in Gravy [Re: ColKlink]
vbshootinrange Offline
Campfire Tracker

Ahhhh!

Thanks for clarifying. A glass top stove sounds lots safer.

Had my gizzies with rice for dinner last night. My Dogs had the leftovers.

We ALL thought it was GREAT! (YUM YUM!)

Virgil B.

#7790267 - 06/03/13 07:12 PM Re: Slow Cooker Chicken Gizzards in Gravy [Re: ColKlink]
CMBS Offline

Loc: Lee's Summit, Mo.
Originally Posted By: ColKlink
Virgil,

. I've never thought about it cracking but maybe I should! shocked

They'll crack. I was trying to speed up making some rotel dip a few years ago on my glass top stove, and heard a pop, and she split wide open. I wouldn't reccomend it.

#7790435 - 06/03/13 08:05 PM Re: Slow Cooker Chicken Gizzards in Gravy [Re: CMBS]
ColKlink Offline
Campfire Guide

Originally Posted By: CMBS
Originally Posted By: ColKlink
Virgil,

. I've never thought about it cracking but maybe I should! shocked

They'll crack. I was trying to speed up making some rotel dip a few years ago on my glass top stove, and heard a pop, and she split wide open. I wouldn't reccomend it.

Thanks. I'm not going to do it again.

-Jefferson Davis

#7791836 - 06/04/13 11:25 AM Re: Slow Cooker Chicken Gizzards in Gravy [Re: vbshootinrange]
atvalaska Offline
Campfire Tracker

Loc: 907novacancy
this better be good!!!! i put mine on this moirn....3 pkgs gizzards 2 pkgs gravey mix one brown ,1 mushroom added 4 oz sliced mushrooms ,3 cups of water and 1/2 can of warm beer that sat ....somewhere last nite / i "found this morin" smile 12 hours till show time!

#7791841 - 06/04/13 11:28 AM Re: Slow Cooker Chicken Gizzards in Gravy [Re: atvalaska]
atvalaska Offline
Campfire Tracker

and i've blownin' 2 crock pots over the years...they can not take the heat of the stove...seems wierd as they sit in heat all the time ....i've tested mine crock 191 deg on low .....high goes beyond boil warm is 160........

#7793994 - 06/05/13 06:54 AM Re: Slow Cooker Chicken Gizzards in Gravy [Re: amax155]
Roundup Offline
Campfire Ranger

Loc: Eastern Oregon
Originally Posted By: amax155
HHHMMMMMMM!!!

Arrrrrgh!!!

#7794819 - 06/05/13 01:08 PM Re: Slow Cooker Chicken Gizzards in Gravy [Re: Roundup]
atvalaska Offline
Campfire Tracker

good to go- simple.... has a slight liver taste ...the mushrooms added to it..

#7794920 - 06/05/13 01:50 PM Re: Slow Cooker Chicken Gizzards in Gravy [Re: atvalaska]
Jcubed Offline
Campfire Regular

Well, I did this last night and I gotta say this is tasty! I did do a couple things different...

1 white onion roughly chopped
1 serrano pepper finely chopped
1/2 lb of mushrooms sliced

salt and pepper to taste

along with the original ingredients posted above...all in the crock on low overnight and served over rice with some hot sauce.

Tasty! When my roommate came home this morning from work, he told his gf that what she was cooking smelled great! In response to his question of what it is...she said, "You don't want to know."

Gave her a helping an hour ago and she actually liked it!

I'm also thinking about adding some sour cream to a leftover portion and serving with egg noodles.

Thanks for the recipe!

#7796198 - 06/05/13 09:33 PM Re: Slow Cooker Chicken Gizzards in Gravy [Re: Jcubed]
calikooknic Offline
Campfire Tracker

Loc: San Joaquin Valley, Kalifornis...
Originally Posted By: Jcubed

I'm also thinking about adding some sour cream to a leftover portion and serving with egg noodles.

Thanks for the recipe!

Winner, winner, chick.........

That does sound tasty.

Sean

#7796473 - 06/06/13 04:51 AM Re: Slow Cooker Chicken Gizzards in Gravy [Re: ColKlink]
Campfire Kahuna

Here is my report on this. I made the first pot just as the recipe called for. I must say that for my taste [b] it left a good bit to be desired. Just not much flavor there for me, awfuly bland. I also used egg noodles for the base. That was mistake to me. Nothing to soak up the gravy which was way too thin for the way [b]I like it.

It also didn't need cooking near as long as called for. Mine was done in four hours on low.

Sooooooo! I made a second pot with additions. Cut the water to the gravy and made it just as the package (Pioneer brown) said. Still had to thicken it just a bit. I might try turkey gravy next time or I might not. Brown is PDG! Added some baby carrots and chopped celery. A can of sliced mushrooms (didn't have fresh) and some fine chopped onion. Next time I will put in some minced garlic too. I am kind of wondering what a small can of drained english peas would do. Surely needs salt and ground pepper.

Used rice so the gravy has something to stick to. If you just got to have pasta I believe lignuine would be a lot better than noodles. Maybe rotini.

With a nice green salad this makes a fine meal and fairly inexpensive. Best I remenber a 2# package of gizzards was less than $3.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  RickBin, SYSOP 
Support Our Sponsors 1
Who's Online
107 registered (66niteowl, 270winchester, 444thumper, 19 invisible), 861 Guests and 346 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Support Our Sponsors 2
Forum Stats
50166 Members
72 Forums
627471 Topics
8993320 Posts

Max Online: 4366 @ 10/05/10 09:36 AM
Support Our Sponsors 3

Copyright 2000-2014 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.