Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
*- IL LEGISLATURE PASSES CCW LAW -*

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/ill-legislature-passes-concealed-car...

By JOHN O'CONNOR
� May. 31 5:21 PM EDT
You are here
Home � Pat Quinn � Ill. Legislature passes concealed carry law

SPRINGFIELD, Ill. (AP) � Illinois would become the last state in the nation to allow the public possession of concealed firearms with a bill approved Friday by the state Legislature.

A 89-28 vote by the Illinois House on Friday �the last day before lawmakers adjourn their spring session� sealed a hard-fought compromise worked out after a federal appeals court ordered in December that Illinois drop its ban by June 9.

The legislation now goes to Gov. Pat Quinn, a Chicago Democrat who has not indicated whether he'll sign it.

The 7th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals ruled in December that Illinois' ban on the public possession of concealed weapons is unconstitutional. All 49 other states allow concealed carry, though some have stricter regulations than others.

Illinois' compromise measure reflected the division between gun rights advocates across the state and gun control supporters in Chicago, which is battling a surge in gang violence and murders since last year.

An early proposal to allow for concealed carry sought to eliminate all local gun ordinances, including Chicago's ban on assault weapons. But that provision was opposed by Quinn, Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel and other Chicago Democrats.

The negotiated settlement approving concealed carry would allow local governments to retain their own rules. But it would block them from creating new rules for transporting guns and assault weapons restrictions.

Sen. Kwame Raoul, a Chicago Democrat and supporter of tighter restrictions, conceded ground on carrying guns in establishments that serve alcohol. Residents would be allowed to carry guns into restaurants and other business that serve alcohol if liquor comprises no more than 50 percent of their sales.

Chicago Democrats would have gotten all of what they requested in terms of specific gun-free zones, including mass transit buses and trains, schools, other government buildings, parks, hospitals and street festivals.

But Rep. Brandon Phelps, a southern Illinois Democrat who sponsored the House proposal, was able to keep in a provision making automobiles a "safe harbor" � meaning a secured gun could be kept in a car, even if it's parked in a prohibited place.

___

The bill is HB183

Online: http://www.ilga.gov

Last edited by ratsmacker; 05/31/13.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Sounds like it's too neutered to mean much inside Cook County, but who gives a rip about Chitcago anyway?

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
This sounds a lot better than nothing but it can be a real nightmare for folks who carry without preemptive laws.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
So I can't get assulted on a public train or bus, that's why they are gun-free zones?

Keep your gun-hand ready and your eyes peeled.
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Better than nothing, but not much. I didn't say it was perfect, but it's Ill-annoy, so nothing is perfect, EVER.'

Still, it's better than what they had, which is nothing at all.

IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by ratsmacker
Better than nothing, but not much. I didn't say it was perfect, but it's Ill-annoy, so nothing is perfect, EVER.'

Still, it's better than what they had, which is nothing at all.

True dat. A step in the right direction and maybe they'll take some more positive steps in the next couple of years.

Keep your gun-hand ready and your eyes peeled.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I'll bet "da boyz in da hood" are lining up to file for permits

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Congrats to Illinois! Welcome to the club boyz.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
I'm happy for the country boys down there. Chitcago can keep their gun bans while the rest of the state will enjoy reduced gun crime rate like the rest of the country. It won't apply to Chitcago cause they will make sure you pay somehow if you are found to have a CC in that town.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
This law is a result of a lawsuit brought by the SAF IIRC.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I always thought the chance of this happening was between "slim" and "none." It is a "shall issue" law with no home rule overrides.

Some here are bitching that it didn't remove local ordinances against "assault rifles" but such objections are out of line, and unrealistic. It was, after all, an action to structure concealed carry, no more, no less.

Rahm and the LakeFront Liberals are absolutley apoplectic at this point. They tried everything to make it difficult: home rule exceptions, 40 hours of training, a $500 license fee, magazine limits, etc. As usual, they were willing to throw the working poor under the bus.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools & fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubt" Bertrand Russell

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Jocko_Slugshot
So I can't get assulted on a public train or bus, that's why they are gun-free zones?

This law, like all other laws, does NOT apply to gang bangers and other 'hood affilated organizations! The spook boys can't read, so the laws do NOT apply. They can not help it if their union affiliated teachers couldn't teach them their 'ABC's"!
Therefore, the subways are still 'prime' hunting ground for the bros and hos as are the projects!

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
It may be a law but local/county sheriffs in California are the agency issuing CCW permits. Guess what? They are not issuing any permits. "Sorry, we don't think you qualify."

I have no criminal history. I've never had a freaking traffic ticket! I'm a business owner carrying & transporting cash & valuables. Can't get a CCW.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Congratulations to Illinois.

We just voted to allow ultra liberals Pat Quinn, Mike Mad-Again, and Rahm Emmanuel to license our constitutional liberties...

And this on the day when the headlines declare that criticism of the islamic faith might well be punishable under law, according to the one U.S. Attorney. When do we begin negotiations for our permit to speak?

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If Pat Quinn had any integrity whatsoever, he'd veto this legislation.
Unfortunately for Illinoisans the potential revenue guarantees that it will sail...

The state violates it's own law every day in that it is required by statute to process FOID applications within 30 days.
Of course there are a grand total of 2 employees who process all of the FOID applications by hand. processing is currently running at 6-8 months for renewal.

As an Illinois resident, my chances of landing a CCW permit make the powerball jackpot look like a sure thing.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Residents would be allowed to carry guns into restaurants and other business that serve alcohol if liquor comprises no more than 50 percent of their sales.

And if I lived there, how the heck would I know if their sales exceeded 50%?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by pira114

Residents would be allowed to carry guns into restaurants and other business that serve alcohol if liquor comprises no more than 50 percent of their sales.

And if I lived there, how the heck would I know if their sales exceeded 50%?

The business will probabably have to post a sign as they do in Texas. Here it is called the 51 sign and every place that has 51% or more of its income from alcohol has to post the sign .

Quando Omni Moritati
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by johnw

As an Illinois resident, my chances of landing a CCW permit make the powerball jackpot look like a sure thing.

If it's a "SHALL" issue law, what prompted this post? I'm an Illinausea resident as well.

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
"But it would block them from creating new rules for transporting guns and assault weapons restrictions."

I think this is a good thing they squeaked through....

Plus they shot down the mag restrictions the Gov was after.

One of the new guys....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by rong
I'll bet "da boyz in da hood" are lining up to file for permits

No da thugs in da hood are saying. Wtf!!! Crackers can shoot back now.

Want To Buy;
Form die for a 7mm Mashburn Super.
.284 Hornady AMax 162gr.
.224 Hornady AMax 75gr.
22-250 bushing die
Bushing die that will work with the 7mm Mashburn Super
A couple Glock 42 380ACP mags
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

340 members (17Fan, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 10gaugemag, 1100mag, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 42 invisible), 2,440 guests, and 1,206 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,077
Posts18,501,560
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.