Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
I have a relative who is career Navy 14 years now. I just learned he was promoted to Ensign and placed under command of the state department for duty in the mid east. He is surrounded by members of several military branches and foreign officers too. He does not wear a uniform. He has been in nine differant countries in six months. Has been recently injured but but will recover. He keeps information to himself. You have to really pry to get anything out of him. He says is on loan to the state department for one year, then back to the Navy.

Anyone have experience in this type of service? Is he in secretive or covert missions ? I'm concerned for his likelyhood of survival.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
It's common, but he probably won't be legally able to speak about it for at least 30 years. It's best you just respect his privacy on this matter. If he tells you too much, you could both be subject to a 10 year prison term.

Last edited by antelope_sniper; 06/01/13.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I've read of families who have had loved ones either fail to return from military service or whose bodies have been returned with very minimal explanation. I always wondered about: 1) the veracity of those stories and 2) the facts behind them if they are true.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I had a reply all typed out, but wiped it.
I can't tell, but I can say at one time I worked for state and dia.
Leave it. He may or may not talk about his "tours".
Depends if he wants to get anything off his chest.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
One of the best bosses I ever had in OSI was tapped for a year long assignment. Where he went and what he did, we never found out, but he showed up at my retirement ceremony with rank that was not commensurate with the time it took to get it.

"It's a source of great pride, that when I google my name, I find book titles and not mug shots." Daniel C. Chamberlain
IC B2

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by Craftsman
I have a relative who is career Navy 14 years now. I just learned he was promoted to Ensign
Doesn't seem like much of a promotion after 14 years.... smirk

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by akpls
Originally Posted by Craftsman
I have a relative who is career Navy 14 years now. I just learned he was promoted to Ensign
Doesn't seem like much of a promotion after 14 years.... smirk

IOW they moved him from the Enlisted to the Officer ranks.
Under these circumstances it's a very significant change.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well the dirty secret is their are still service members in Iraq they just fall under the state dept. they are in Iraq trying to account for the billions of dollars in equipment that was left behind when the hero Obama did the pull out over night... I have buddies who have did that mission.. The go to Kuwait then fly into Iraq

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

509 members (12344mag, 2500HD, 1Longbow, 204guy, 257Bob, 25classic, 63 invisible), 2,674 guests, and 1,307 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,295
Posts18,487,010
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.