-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Is there anything except the Weaver 301 series? It appears to be well liked but the base only (vs the base and rings set up, don't need or want the rings) appears to have been discontinued and very hard or impossible to find. Either matte or silver would work. TIA for any alternative suggestions or a source on the Weavers.

NRA Lifer
"It is curious that physical courage should be so common in the world and moral courage so rare." - Mark Twain
"Everybody has principles... until they are an inconvenience." - Me

GB1

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I have the Weaver on a BH .41 Magnum with 6.5" barrel and 4X Leupold scope...very accurate and was super easy to install... Didn't realize they had been discontinued. It is still listed in the latest Brownells Catalog... 955-300-001 in blue and 955-300-011 in stainless.

Weigand has a base but the frame has to be D&T...

Have you tried B-Square...what are looking to mount?

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
The blue on Brownells says out of stock and the silver is listed as discontinued. Also, I'm trying to get just the base (Weaver PN 48638 blue or 48635 for silver, I'd take either color) and not the set as I really don't care for the weaver style rings and the sight comes with a set of them already so I hate to pay that much extra for something I'll literally throw away. I found a deal on one of these http://info.sightron.com/Electronic-Devices/S33-4RST/ I couldn't pass up so Invented a 'need' and figured it worth a try on a stainless .44. smile

NRA Lifer
"It is curious that physical courage should be so common in the world and moral courage so rare." - Mark Twain

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
..then just sell the rings... They run about $20.00 and for the price who cares...it's the only game in town.

Bob

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
The base will flex and beat the barrel up at the clamp. They can be accurate but not worth the damage.
Go all the way and get the gun drilled and tapped for a Weigand base. ANY scope or red dot will fit it.

IC B2

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Ebay.... 380647563414

1.5 days left.

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
..and more... 370826833869

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
SWFA has some in stock...

Look on Amazon...one seller has a blue one.

Looks like Optic Planet still has some...

They are out there but not many left...Bob

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bfrshooter
The base will flex and beat the barrel up at the clamp. They can be accurate but not worth the damage.
Go all the way and get the gun drilled and tapped for a Weigand base. ANY scope or red dot will fit it.
Dang, I've read nothing but good reviews. Did this happen on a particular setup or multiple? frown
I'm not going to D&T this particular arm. Thx.

NRA Lifer

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by RJM
SWFA has some in stock...

Look on Amazon...one seller has a blue one.

Looks like Optic Planet still has some...

They are out there but not many left...Bob
SWFA is out. Optics Planet is out (called them before posting). It appears quit a few sites say they have them in stock but don't when you call. I'd rather the silver but will take matte. Some list the 48638 as gloss others as matte. Who knows...? frown

NRA Lifer

IC B3

I've got a blued/gloss 301 base that I would be willing to part with. PM me and we can work out details if you want it.

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I have had one on both a .30 Carbine and it is presently on a .41 Magnum where it has been for at least 10 years. While on the .30 Carbine it left no marks upon removal. I have never had it off the harder recoiling .41 so I am can not address that at this time...

[Linked Image]

Bob

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by GeauxLSU
Originally Posted by bfrshooter
Dang, I've read nothing but good reviews. Did this happen on a particular setup or multiple? frown
I'm not going to D&T this particular arm. Thx.

The clamp was cutting a slot in the barrel. I shimmed with brass and it cut the brass in half.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by RJM
I have had one on both a .30 Carbine and it is presently on a .41 Magnum where it has been for at least 10 years. While on the .30 Carbine it left no marks upon removal. I have never had it off the harder recoiling .41 so I am can not address that at this time...

[Linked Image]

Bob

That looks different then the ones I had. Much more beefy.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RJM

[Linked Image]

That's the same one I have, it is rock solid if somewhat bulky. But it's great for a no gunsmithing mount. I recall that I've had it on Blackhawks in .41 Magnum, a .45 Colt and .44 Magnum (SBH) and it works prefectly. Probably had it on a couple of others I'm forgetting.

Can't recall that it scratched the finish on the barrel where that clamp goes. It's not really a clamp, just a semi-circular ring that slides easily onto the barrel. A big screw comes into it through the top of the mount and pulls it up into hard contact with the barrel - the screw doesn't touch the barrel at all. If the mount was scratching one could polish the very inside bottom edges of that ring a bit, that's the only place it contacts the barrel hard. You could even add a piece of paper or something to protect the finish if you wanted.

I don't shoot scoped handguns much except when I want to work up loads so this is invaluable for swapping scopes from one to the other. I'm not planning on selling mine anytime in the future.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I have a 301 I bought on auction arms for $10. It sits on my 357 Blackhawk and has held true for a long time. It has marred by barrel a bit but I'm OK with that. I don't want to drill my frame.
You will see them on E bay all the time.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

598 members (160user, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 59 invisible), 2,359 guests, and 1,277 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,516
Posts18,472,431
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.