Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
dlquinn Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Anyone pick up the new 783 from Remington? It looks and feels like an improvement over the 710/770.

I took a chance and bought one in .270, still need to get a scope on it. Just wondering if anyone has had one to the range?

GB1

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I'm wondering the same. I've handle the several times but hesitate to buy one until we see a track record emerging. Based on their features I really like them for a working rifle. I may get an '06 and a .308. I'd chop the 309 to 16" and thread it for a can if there is enough meat on the bbl.

RLTW
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I got a very strange feeling in my gut that these rifles are gonna shoot very well. I hope I'm right. I wonder what the real world street price is going to be on these.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I was interested until I saw they are priced higher than the Ruger American.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have handled a few & I like what I see for my $! - Dig the heavier contour barrel.

Taking my rifle for a walk
IC B2

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Interesting. They kinda remind me of the Tikka T3's & their smaller ejection ports, but the steel magazines & latch seem to be a bit of an improvement. They seem to be what the 710/770 abortions should have been in the first place. Easily adjustable trigger, too. Hope to hear more about them as they are put in use by folks in hunting & field situations.

http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/centerfire/model-783/model-783.aspx

Custom-grade accuracy is now within reach of virtually every hunter. Using the expertise that's dominated bolt-action technology for more than 50 years, the engineering team started from scratch and combined their most advanced, accuracy-enhancing features to create an all-new platform. This sleek, hardworking tack-driver is even built differently.

Crafted in our newest manufacturing facility using proprietary methods that create the tightest tolerances from rifle to rifle, by the most efficient means possible. Perhaps the first thing you'll notice are the striking lines of the new stock design. Inside, it's a true performance-enhancer, with a dual-pillar bedding platform that free-floats the barrel for the ultimate in shot-to-shot consistency. The black synthetic stock contains a high nylon fiber content which gives the stock superior strength and rigidity. Also helping deliver those inherently tight groups is a precision button-rifled barrel. For shot control, it's equipped with the crisp new CrossFire� trigger system that's user adjustable to suit your preferences. The 783 features a steel detachable magazine with a steel latch. Standard calibers have a four round capacity and magnum calibers hold three rounds. Like with all Remington bolt actions, expect a lifetime of rock-solid reliability. From the next generation in a legendary bloodline.

KEY FEATURES:

New CrossFire� trigger system, factory set at 3 1/2 lbs. and user adjustable from 2 1/2 to 5 lbs.
Carbon steel magnum contour button rifled barrel
22" standard chamberings and 24" on magnums
Pillar-bedded stock and free-floated barrel
SuperCell� Recoil Pad
Model 783 accepts two Model 700� front bases

The barrel nut system should make for easy barrel changes, too.

http://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/remington-783-review/
...All 783s, regardless of caliber are fitted with either a 22- or 24-inch magnum contour barrel, which is attached via a barrel nut system similar to that used on Savage rifles and the Marlin X7 series of bolt-actions...

"The Bigger the Government, the Smaller the Citizen" - Dennis Prager LINK

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Man that bolt shroud is a deal killer for me. It is just pathetic looking. For me to own a gun it must look like a gun...everywhere. powdr

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I agree with powdr but if I wasn't fortunate enough to afford "pretty" guns I would be all over this Remington, Ruger All American or a Thompson Center . These guns shoot pretty darn great, especialy the TC, butt ugly but shoots great with the stiff action and barrel.
My BIL, isn't in to fancy but his Thompson Center, 06 shoots lights out

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
These won't be any more successful than the 710 series.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't find the bolt shroud or rear of the action neccesarily unattractive, what I find that makes these icky are things like push feed, weak extractor and ejector (sigh.... again...) tupperware handle, etc. 710's are showing up for sale now at gun shows in good numbers, being carried by (typicaly) young guys in thier 20's who got rooked, took, sold a basket full of sheet. I can often buy them, even in magnum calibers for as little as $150.00 but about $175-200 is more the norm.

If I wanted an addition to the gun safe as a user grade gun I would sepnd about what one of these cost on a used commercial Mauser in whatever caliber. Lots of them floating around for $300-375 in highly useable calibers. Herters J-9's, Husquvarna's, and many others out there in great numbers and good caliber options. THAN a guy would have a good gun that would be desireable now and through the next several generations. And not be an embarrasment in deer or elk camp.

Last edited by safariman; 06/06/13.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
IC B3

D
dlquinn Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Thanks for the feedback fellas...Even though it sounds like most of you haven't actually had this gun out to the range, which was the feedback I was searching for. I got a feeling its gonna be accurate enough to fit the need that I have and that is to get me back deer hunting. With two boys coming along to hunting age soon, it should be a good enough rifle to get them started when the are ready.

As far as the rifle being an embarrasment in deer camp, that shouldn't be an issue as I don't generally stay around folks too long that judge others on worldly possesions.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I wouldn't worry about people judging your rifle. When its all said and done a rifle is a tool. Most of us I would bet didn't start out with Coopers,Kimbers,Sakos ect. If you don't get bit by the rifle loonie bug that 783 will be fine for a lifetime I bet.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The only Remington I'll buy is a bag of brass or primers. It seems anything Cerberus touches turns to [bleep]. Their destruction of a fine levergun just plain sealed the deal for me. My brother had one of those 710s some time ago and I just couldn't believe what I was looking at. A company CAN eventually spend all of its goodwill and name recognition. Anyone shop at Sears anymore?.....

I do hope that they eventually turn it around but I suspect it may require Cerberus to sell Remington to a new owner that gives a [bleep]. There was hope when they announced selling Freedom Group i.e. Bushmaster, DPMS, Remington; but it looks like only Bushmaster has any bids (by one of the owners of Cerberus). So, for now I'll have to let the rest of you that are loyal to the Remington brand lead the charge and report back......

Powdr,

pic of shroud for the rest of us:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
http://www.realguns.com/articles/476.htm (fairly objective)

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I could live w/the barrel nut but that Ace Hardware trigger and that cheap ass, chicken [bleep] shroud just ain't gonna cut it in my gun cabinet. powdr

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I actually like the look of the rifle except for that yucky flat bolt knob.

If I was after a budget bolt - which I have been the last two I have bought - I would get the Zastava M70 you have seen me on about in another thread.

Apart from the plastic stock (which is pretty bloody rigid for a plastic one) there isn't a bit of plastic or cheap alloy anywhere on those things. All steel and tough as nails.

They are no lightweight however with the 24 inch barrel and if you were looking for a cheapy lightweight the American or similar might be a good option.

I could own a 783 though.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
dlquinn has it nailed. And what he described is what rifles like this are for. Assessing a 783 and expecting it to be more than it was intended for is idiotic. mtmuley

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by mtmuley
dlquinn has it nailed. And what he described is what rifles like this are for. Assessing a 783 and expecting it to be more than it was intended for is idiotic. mtmuley

To me the subject is not the validity of a budget gun's existence. I believe the question is if this gun should exist.......

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Fifth
Originally Posted by mtmuley

To me the subject is not the validity of a budget gun's existence. I believe the question is if this gun should exist.......

If it shoots well and is reliable, why shouldn't it exist? You need good budget guns out there to get new people into shooting. If it helps someone get into shooting who then moves onto better guns, it's done its job. May make a heck of a loaner too.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Not just for new shooters either.

A guy might have a beautiful 22-250 Cooper factory rifle or fancy custom rifle that he uses 99% of the time because he only shoots small-medium game; but get something like a 783 or Ruger American in 30-06 or a magnum because once a year or two he gets after the big stuff.

He's got his flashy show rifle which he uses almost all the time but doesn't need to break the bank to be able to hunt big game with something like the 783.

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
That bolt face and trigger look a lot like the marlin xs7 I have, which shoots sub moa groups all day long. I like the barrel nut, cuz I like changing barrels. If I could change out the trigger guard, bolt handle and angled forend I probably would love it. I have a nice rifle or two, but I like disposable ones too.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (1234, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1badf350, 1936M71, 60 invisible), 2,460 guests, and 1,371 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,195
Posts18,485,082
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.