Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Looked thru a 3-9x42 today, although I thought it was clear and crisp something about it doesn't seem as nice as the conquest. I can't explain it, but its just different. I didn't like the eyepiece but that's about all the real negative I can find.
With that said I still liked it better than the Bushnell Elite, Nikon Buckmaster,and the Redfield they had out on the counter. Granted the terra cost more than those but to me it wasn't close.

I like the Conquest better but I wouldn't be scared to buy a terra series.

GB1

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
A completely new product line, I can be honest to say that every component can not be exactly the same as Conquest. However, the QC standards meet or exceed the old Conquest

1. Shock tested to 800-1000 G's - same as the old Conquest
2. Waterproof tested to same standards as old Conquest
3. Increased ROA and repeat ability tested using industry standard grid-zero procedure - same as old Conquest
4. Resolution tested to exceed old Conquest
5. And most importantly, the ZEISS transferable limited lifetime warranty.

Terra is not for everybody. For the more discriminating shooter we offer Conquest HD and Victory HT.

Hope this clears up your question.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Thanks for the clarification.

I received a new Zeiss Terra 3x9x42 yesterday. Taking it to my gunsmith for mounting and boresighting this morning. I'm a Leupy loony (VX3s mostly) but I must say the first impressions of the new Zeiss scope were very favorable.

Will be taking it to the range to get zeroed on the Sako AV soon and will file a sight-in report later.

NB

NRA Life Member
"Use Enough Gun"- Robert Ruark
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by 338rcm
building binos in China isnt going to help your reputation

For those that don't have a clue about China quality, its relevant TOTALLY to what you want to pay.

You can get cheap junk or you can assign a factory to produce the very best quality thats out there basically.

The fault for junk out of China has been our constant desire to have things CHEAP and quick. Much like a McDonalds burger vs the old cafe burger. I know which one I'll take every last time if I have a choice.

If a company sells cheap junk made in China, its because the COMPANY spec'd it out that way.

But I digress and am off topic again.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by 22WRF
there has to be some place in America where American's can make scopes for America at American price points.

I will settle for a scope with an ocular housing that is less than 40 mm, why do these dills all think we need scopes the size of baseball bats?

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rost495

For those that don't have a clue about China quality, its relevant TOTALLY to what you want to pay.

You can get cheap junk or you can assign a factory to produce the very best quality thats out there basically.

The fault for junk out of China has been our constant desire to have things CHEAP and quick. Much like a McDonalds burger vs the old cafe burger. I know which one I'll take every last time if I have a choice.

If a company sells cheap junk made in China, its because the COMPANY spec'd it out that way.

Care to share brand names of the quality Chinese made optics you prefer or use?

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J

You're on the money, good post..

I'm old enough to remember when the first Japanese made vehicles came into Australia and how people scoffed and laughed.....who's laughing now?

Last edited by johnfox; 06/02/13.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R

Care to share brand names of the quality Chinese made optics you prefer or use?

My comment was not in relationship to a suggestion of which merchandise to use, I have a stash of Conquests and will have to try the Terra before I know what that will reveal...

My comment was don't bash China, ( and I'm not even close to a fan of China either at all) for what the folks using her demand.
As noted, if its cheap junk, thats what the buyer spec'd to start with. China can produce with the best of them.

Me... I'm stuck with Zeiss so far. I simply don't care for lesser scopes at this time. Though a top end Leupy has made strides these days from what I"ve heard.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by johnfox

You're on the money, good post..

I'm old enough to remember when the first Japanese made vehicles came into Australia and how people scoffed and laughed.....who's laughing now?

Now if the Japs would have put the oil filter data in my wifes FJ book... looked for 20 minutes until I realized it was easier to open the hood and look.... never did find it in the book.

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Good to know where the Teras are made, it's not going on my rifle.

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

IC B3

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Japanese made scopes have been well thought of for years in other brands. I see no reason not to give these a chance.

Considering the work philosophy of the Japanese people, Zeiss may have thought they could produce a better product there, than the USA.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
You can bet it boils down to money, as it always does.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
Japanese made scopes have been well thought of for years in other brands. I see no reason not to give these a chance.

Considering the work philosophy of the Japanese people, Zeiss may have thought they could produce a better product there, than the USA.

So why are the Terra binos made in China?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by tmitch
Good to know where the Teras are made, it's not going on my rifle.

Same here.

Used Conquest or new VX3. I have options.

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Money, i.e. profit margin, is the ONLY determining factor in where a product is produced in this day and age. With todays technology the same quality product can be made anywhere in the world, the only difference being labor, taxes and enviromental protection costs. American consumers are too self centered to suport their own standard of living so the ships arrive here full, and leave empty. How much do we owe China now? Screw 'em, make mine a Leupold.

Charter Member

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You do realize that Leupold also puts their name on a lot of stuff that comes from China too ?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by MJensen
One additional comment that I would like to post regarding Terra vs the old Conquest.

The old Conquest was a great scope, designed 13 years ago and we offered 35+ skus in the product lineup. Our plan was always to upgrade the Conquest, and we accomplished this with the NEW Conquest HD5. We basically upgraded every technical feature you can get on paper. The reviews are out and this is a great scope. The HD5 vs the old Conquest is simply no comparison.

these scopes are parallax at 100 yards, the highest power one has the 800 yard reticle,,,, how is the parallax going to effect the 800 yard shooting,,,,

The Terra line was added as a replacement for a single price point Conquest sku, the 3-9x40. Instead of replacing this 1 sku, we added an entire lineup revolving around this pricepoint.

So, compared to the old Conquest... the Terra is similar in design, durability and optical performance. The HD5 line is a significant step up in all quality and technical functions.

Hope this helps.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by JGRaider
You can bet it boils down to money, as it always does.

I'm sure it does and someone posted that Japanese wages could actually be higher than US wages. At the same time I have witnessed the work ethic of production manufacturing workers in Alabama. One quality worker could replace about three of them and do it better and faster.

Of course profit is the bottom line but Japanese scopes aren't normally considered junk.

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by RDFinn
You do realize that Leupold also puts their name on a lot of stuff that comes from China too ?

Sure do, and I won't buy them either.

Charter Member

szihn

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Not calling anyone out on here in paticular but I find it odd that the German made Zeiss is sought after but as soon is one is just assemembeld in Japan it gets shunned.
I understand people wanting American made products but some of those same people would jump all over a Swarovski made in Austria or a Zeiss made in Germany.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

583 members (21, 007FJ, 2500HD, 160user, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 72 invisible), 2,570 guests, and 1,325 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,090
Posts18,482,931
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.