Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Did you guys see what he was carrying.?

An EXTRA upper and what looks like to me to be a repro. BP Revolver.. (right click, view image)

I know there's some cartridge conversion BP reproductions, not sure if it's one or not...

Kinda an "odd" combination...

[Linked Image]

[b][color:#3333FF]Link...![/color][/b]

SANTA MONICA, Calif. (AP) � Police investigating why a heavily armed gunman plotted a rampage that killed four people and wounded several others were focused Saturday on how the violence began: directed at his own family.

What started as domestic violence led to a chaotic street shooting spree and ended less than 15 minutes later in a college library where the gunman was killed Friday by police as students studying for finals ran for cover or hunkered down to avoid whizzing bullets.

Investigators were looking at family connections to find a motive because the killer's father and brother were the first victims, an official briefed on the probe who requested anonymity because he wasn't authorized to speak publicly told The Associated Press.

The killer, who died a day shy of his 24th birthday, was connected to the home that went up in flames after the first shootings, said Police Chief Jacqueline Seabrooks. She refused to elaborate or name the suspect because a surviving family member was out of the country and couldn't immediately be notified.

At an afternoon news conference next to the weapons and ammo found at multiple crime scenes, Seabrooks said the "cowardly murderer" planned the attack and was capable of firing 1,300 rounds.

"Any time someone puts on a vest, of some sort, comes out with a bag full of loaded magazines, has an extra receiver, has a handgun and has a semi-automatic rifle, carjacks folks, goes to a college, kills more people and has to be neutralized at the hands of the police, I would say that that's premeditated," she said.

The killer had a run-in with police seven years ago, but Seabrooks wouldn't offer more details because he was a juvenile at the time.

His father, Samir Zawahri, 55, brought his family to the neighborhood of small homes and apartment buildings tucked up against Interstate 10 in the mid-1990s, according to property records.

Not long after arriving on Yorkshire Avenue, the couple went through a difficult divorce and split custody of their two boys, said Thomas O'Rourke, a neighbor.

"It was not an easy breakup," O'Rourke said. "It was a bitter divorce."

When the sons got older, one went to live with his mother while the other stayed with the father.

"The father was a very nice gentleman," O'Rourke said. "But the boys just kind of kept to themselves. Didn't really socialize with any of the neighbors."

SWAT team officers searched the mother's Los Angeles apartment Friday night and officers interviewed neighbors about the son who lived with her, said Beverly Meadows who lives in the adjoining unit.

Public records show that Meadows' neighbor is Randa Abdou, 54, the ex-wife of Zawahri and former co-owner of the house where the first shooting took place.

The mother was out of the country visiting relatives and wasn't expected home for another week, Meadows said. It wasn't clear if the son who lived with Abdou was a victim or the suspected gunman.

The gunman was enrolled at Santa Monica College in 2010, Seabrooks said.

After neighbors watched in shock as he shot at his father's house and it went up in flames, he opened fire on a woman driving by, wounding her, and then carjacked another woman.

He directed her to drive to the college, ordering her stop along the way to shoot at a city bus and people on the street. Two people on the bus were injured.

Police had received multiple 911 calls by the time the mayhem shifted to the college, a two-year school with about 34,000 students located among homes and strip malls more than a mile inland from the city's famous pier, promenade and expansive, sandy beaches.

On campus, he opened fired on a Ford Explorer, killing the driver, who plowed through a brick wall into a faculty parking lot. A female passenger was gravely wounded.

The driver was identified as Carlos Navarro Franco, 68, a campus employee.

Bursar's office employee Joe Orcutt heard gunshots and went to see what happened in the parking lot. He saw the Explorer in the brick wall and was looking for the shooter when, suddenly, there he was 30 feet away firing at people like it was target practice.

"He's just standing there, like he's modeling for some ammo magazine," Orcutt said. "He's not emotional. I don't know if he's zoned out or focused, he was very calm just standing there, panning around."

As a bullet whizzed by, Orcutt jumped out of the way.

The gunman then moved on foot across campus, firing away. Students were seen leaping out windows of a classroom building and running for their lives. Others locked themselves behind doors or bolted out emergency exits.

At some point, he dropped an Adidas duffel bag loaded with ammunition magazines, boxes of bullets and a .44 revolver. Police also found a small cache of weapons in a room in the burned-out house.

Trena Johnson, who works in the dean's office, heard gunshots and looked out the window and saw a man in black with a "very large gun" shoot a woman in the head outside the library.

"When I saw her shot in the head and she fell to the ground we ran out the back door," Johnson said. "I haven't been able to stop shaking."

Surveillance photos displayed at the news conference showed the gunman in black strolling past a cart of books into the library with an assault-style rifle by his side.

Vincent Zhang, an economics major, was studying in the library when he heard a female scream, "No, no. Please no."

Zhang ran out of the emergency exit while others took cover in what Seabrooks called a "safe room," barricaded behind a door.

"They stacked items found in the safe room against the door, hunkered down and avoided shots fired through the drywall at them while they were in that room," she said.

The shooter fired at least 70 rounds in the library. Miraculously, no one was injured until two Santa Monica police officers and a campus cop arrived and took out the shooter. He was struck multiple times.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
SANTA MONICA, Calif. (AP) � Police investigating why a heavily armed gunman plotted a rampage that killed four people and wounded several others were focused Saturday on how the violence began: directed at his own family.
I seem to remember that the guy at Sandy Hook killed his mother first. Is this a pattern with these nut jobs?

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
they are liberals...

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by Deerwhacker444

His father, Samir Zawahri,

Gee, that's really interesting that the newest psycho gunman's name has not been released. I wonder why that is...

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
A lot more photo's at this link including the name and a photo of shooter.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/santa-monica-shooting-victim-identified-article-1.1366943

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
muslim. Whack job, known to the mental health community. In and out of treatment. Most likely on psychotropics.
Common threads, common denominators. All that blown over by the media, in favor of screaming for gun control.

Sam......

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
jeeezzzapete

not this chit again

freakin whack jobs

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
That photo is only of the stuff in the shooters bag. It is not the firearm he used. Here is a link to more photos. These magazines are illegal in California. Looks like the gun laws failed again.
http://www.kfiam640.com/photos/main/santa-monica-shootingsfire-355735/20942581/#/1/20942581

Edited to add: The college is a "gun free zone"

Last edited by Plinker; 06/09/13.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
They are Jordanian and members of the Antiochian Orthodox Christian Church. Both kids were born in LA in the 80's.
Family ties in Ohio according to local media.

Mental illness is an easy convert to Islam.

Whom the gods wish to destroy they first make mad.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
another Muslim nut case and the Police won't release his name and nationally until the left can find a way to spin it in their favor. They can't really scream more gun control with a mussy at the trigger without offending Islam

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm wondering if that cap & ball revolver was actually loaded and if so , did anyone at the SMPD know how to unload it ?

Mike

Always talk to the old guys , they know stuff.

Jerry Miculek
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
How many differences can you pick out in these two photos? Supposed to be the same shot from two different angles.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Kids look pretty happy for just getting there school shot up!
[Linked Image]
Excuse me while I hit the store for some tin foil. Man I hope they have some left.

Want To Buy;
Form die for a 7mm Mashburn Super.
.284 Hornady AMax 162gr.
.224 Hornady AMax 75gr.
22-250 bushing die
Bushing die that will work with the 7mm Mashburn Super
A couple Glock 42 380ACP mags
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Les7603006
How many differences can you pick out in these two photos? Supposed to be the same shot from two different angles.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Excuse me while I hit the store for some tin foil. Man I hope they have some left.

Besides being 2 totally different locations, what else would you like to know. EXIF data from the photos has been edited/removed, which tells me that not all is on the up and up.

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Article said shooter was gunned down in the library after being hit multiple times. Yet here the shooter is dead on the sidewalk. No blood either. The deer I've had to hit mutile times sprayed blood everywhere.
[Linked Image]
And stuff was later added to the table.
[Linked Image]

Want To Buy;
Form die for a 7mm Mashburn Super.
.284 Hornady AMax 162gr.
.224 Hornady AMax 75gr.
22-250 bushing die
Bushing die that will work with the 7mm Mashburn Super
A couple Glock 42 380ACP mags
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Les7603006
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Put on your detective hat and look closely. There are two sets of automatic doors with an entrance way between them.

Elementary, my dear Watson!

[Linked Image]

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Standby for the usual suspects whinning about this photo and police brutality nonsense:

[Linked Image]

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
I was watching some of this on National media yesterday. I was pretty sure that I saw nipples on the revolver cylinder, and a Ruger logo on the grip. If so it would be a 44 cal old army in blue.

Look out boys, they're coming after BP now!

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Isn't that strange just the upper in the pictures and of course he chooses to use a never controlled black powder gun as the pistol?

Last edited by 17ACKLEYBEE; 06/09/13.

NRA Lifetime Member
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I Had a Ruger Old Army, fun to shoot too. Some years back in Salem, CT its a fairly small town, a lot smaller when I grew up there- A computer guy, was shot and died when a customer didn't like the computer he built for him. It was a cap and ball pistol, it made the news since it was the first time since 1868 that person was shot with one in CT. These guys are all the same, they are on some sort of mood altering drug, a history of bad behavior, and first they murder family members. This is usually how they get firearms to being with. In years gone by, there were never this sort of thing going on, sure there were murders, people kill each other for all kinds of reasons, these days its different, you have to many people being fed all kinds of drugs- when in the old days they were housed in institutions were they could not harm themselves or others. Well they closed those institutions in the 1970's and I sometimes wonder if it was not done on purpose so they could go run wild and we get more loss of our freedoms!

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It's pretty obvious that the black powder revolver is a replica of an 1858 Remington. The brief close-up shown on Fox news showed it to be a Pietta, and the cylinder chambers were loaded. I don't know if it was capped... but it wouldn't surprise me to learn that the PD had to hire a consultant to figure out how to unload the piece.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

563 members (1minute, 160user, 21, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 1Longbow, 58 invisible), 2,656 guests, and 1,269 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,855
Posts18,478,502
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.