-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I am firmly in the camp that there is no replacement for displacement, at least in a pickup truck. I drive a 2011 403hp 6.2L GMC, 6-speed, 3.73 gears, MAX towing package. And I love it. I get about 16 mpg running 75-80 mph. It runs about 0.7 mpg less than a 5.3L I used to have, driving the same way. I have no clue what it would get at 55 or 65, I don't drive that slow, unless I'm stuck in traffic. There is only one thing that will pry this vehicle away from me, and that is when the new direct injection 6.2L engines come out some time during the new model year, with a substantial increase in horsepower. Even then, I plan on keeping my current pickup as an "old" pickup. Ecoboost's don't scare me a bit at stop light drags! grin

Talk is cheap. It takes money to buy whiskey.

BMD Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
Well????

[Linked Image] they will have it finished up for delivery tomorrow the wrong lug nuts came on with the wheels or at least that is their story. So guess I gotta wait another day.

Scott

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
I gave the Chevy a look but;

Less torque
Less bed size
Less crew cab back room size
Less MPG
Less fuel tank capacity

Other than that, they seem like an ok truck.

BMD Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Powerguy
I gave the Chevy a look but;

Less torque
Less bed size
Less crew cab back room size
Less MPG
Less fuel tank capacity

Other than that, they seem like an ok truck.

Chevy or GMC never an option smile

Scott

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Mid country trip, drove from northern Wisconsin to Gulf Shores ,Alabama.

2013 crew cab
3:55
Eco
6.5 box
5 people in cab with box filled w/luggage

Cruise set at 72mph and I averaged the following:

Length of Illinois 19.3 ( I swear we drove every inch of that damn state top to bottom)

Ky-northern Alabama hill country 18.3

Mid-bottom of Alabama 19.3 average and there are a lot of stop/go lights the last 60 miles to Gulf Shores

Can't go wrong with the Eco-boost or 5.0

The Eco-boost torque is incredible, it never shifted out of 6th gear for any hill in the 1,250 mile trip with the cruise set at 72.

Did the same trip 2 years ago with same payload in 06 suburban and it had to downshift on a lot of the hills. (5.3 liter)

Good luck with your new ride BMD, we looked at the FX4 but wanted the bench seat to seat 6 so slummed it and went Lariat..... grin

IC B2

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by 1minute

I may have to abandon Ford anyway when it's replacement time, as I hear they have done away with manual transmissions.

So has everyone else I believe.

Camp is where you make it.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by mudstud
Ecoboost's don't scare me a bit at stop light drags! grin

Owning a GM product should be enough to scare you. Who needs to be scared by Eco-boost's when they're drving around in a chevy.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I had a Ford ONCE! Never again!

Talk is cheap. It takes money to buy whiskey.
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by tzone
Originally Posted by mudstud
Ecoboost's don't scare me a bit at stop light drags! grin

Owning a GM product should be enough to scare you. Who needs to be scared by Eco-boost's when they're drving around in a chevy.

Lol

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
P-guy; My ears perked up a bit when you said it didn't shift out of 6th gear like the other rig. My '11 Tundra shifts out of 6th easily...even when empty. I notice that because I used to drive diesels and their low end torque is to be envied.

By the way; congratulations on winning LINEMAN OF THE MONTH again, there in Wisconsin. I did that here a few times, but only on a local level.

I saw a movie where only the military and the police had guns. It was called Schindler's List.
IC B3

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Here is a chart showing various torque/rpm numbers, I can see why the tundra shifts easily out of 6th.

High HP/TQ numbers don't impress me at 3,000+ rpm's , all they are good for is sales.

Give me some torque at 70mph1850 rpm's now were talking.

Scroll down

http://www.f150forum.com/f82/towing-ecoboost-4x4-crew-cab-211553/index3/

BMD Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
We will see how it does.

Scott

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Fords are demon trucks, worst pieces of crap ever foisted on the American public. Last one I owned had more recalls than the French Army. Thing finally died on the freeway when it burst into flame. Same with the fleet of Ford crap the county occasionally bought. Dodge Rams always putted around, we tried to kill them, but they just wouldn't die. Chevy's ran reliably, Jeep Cherokees too, really reliable and great off road. The Fords were weird. Had one F-550 with the diesel in a garbage packer, damn thing would die when turning the steering wheel left. Whole dash would would quit, engine would die, wouldn't restart for awhile. Not good when turning across lanes of traffic. Turned out to be a short in the steering column. Nah, Fords are disasters.

Ecoboost=recall: http://blogs.automotive.com/recall-...ng-power-during-acceleration-139609.html

Junk, junk, junk. Ford always overreaches when designing engines, last engine they made that was sort of reliable was the flathead, or the 292 cid V-8, that thing could literately be kept running with baling wire and vice grips. I remember the Power Jokes, especially the 6.0. Some snapped crankshafts, but most just didn't work due to foaming oil failing to activate the injectors. They had more problems than a Hollywood actress with a 5th of Jack and a few snorts of blow. A little V6 that tries to act like a big engine, gonna break, sorry.

Now my 4x4 Sierra 2500 HD with the DuramMax diesel and Alison transmission, a crew cab no less, weighing in at 6,700 pounds without me aboard, will do 17-21 mpg on the highway at 70 mph. It all depends on winter or summer fuel, terrain, going uphill or down, wind, and how much ammo I'm carrying. It has 364 HP and 650 ft lbs of torque at 1,800 rpm in stock guise, and does not slow down on hills. Even the Ram with a Cummins is a better truck than anything Ford makes. Hell, a DR power wheelbarrow with a Briggs and Stratton rope start one-lunger is better. F-150, we all know what the 'F' stands for, the 150 is how many times you'll have it done to you, unless you pick up a 250 or 350, then Kattie bar the door.

The older Ford cars and wagons I owned, and they number five, plus a Mercury, were absolutely the best. They could run with more parts missing than a retired NFL linebacker, simply the best cars made. laugh

BMD Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Dura max is a piece of [bleep]! I have had one. What a joke. Dodge I just dumped spent 14 trips in shop in 14 months. What a joke! So WJ you keep bragging on those other pOS none are perfect I assure I have owned them all and had good and bad with dodge an ford and every gm product I have ever owned was a POS!

Scott

BMD Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by WranglerJohn
Fords are demon trucks, worst pieces of crap ever foisted on the American public. Last one I owned had more recalls than the French Army. Thing finally died on the freeway when it burst into flame. Same with the fleet of Ford crap the county occasionally bought. Dodge Rams always putted around, we tried to kill them, but they just wouldn't die. Chevy's ran reliably, Jeep Cherokees too, really reliable and great off road. The Fords were weird. Had one F-550 with the diesel in a garbage packer, damn thing would die when turning the steering wheel left. Whole dash would would quit, engine would die, wouldn't restart for awhile. Not good when turning across lanes of traffic. Turned out to be a short in the steering column. Nah, Fords are disasters.

Ecoboost=recall: http://blogs.automotive.com/recall-...ng-power-during-acceleration-139609.html

Junk, junk, junk. Ford always overreaches when designing engines, last engine they made that was sort of reliable was the flathead, or the 292 cid V-8, that thing could literately be kept running with baling wire and vice grips. I remember the Power Jokes, especially the 6.0. Some snapped crankshafts, but most just didn't work due to foaming oil failing to activate the injectors. They had more problems than a Hollywood actress with a 5th of Jack and a few snorts of blow. A little V6 that tries to act like a big engine, gonna break, sorry.

Now my 4x4 Sierra 2500 HD with the DuramMax diesel and Alison transmission, a crew cab no less, weighing in at 6,700 pounds without me aboard, will do 17-21 mpg on the highway at 70 mph. It all depends on winter or summer fuel, terrain, going uphill or down, wind, and how much ammo I'm carrying. It has 364 HP and 650 ft lbs of torque at 1,800 rpm in stock guise, and does not slow down on hills. Even the Ram with a Cummins is a better truck than anything Ford makes. Hell, a DR power wheelbarrow with a Briggs and Stratton rope start one-lunger is better. F-150, we all know what the 'F' stands for, the 150 is how many times you'll have it done to you, unless you pick up a 250 or 350, then Kattie bar the door.

The older Ford cars and wagons I owned, and they number five, plus a Mercury, were absolutely the best. They could run with more parts missing than a retired NFL linebacker, simply the best cars made. laugh

[Linked Image]

Scott

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
WranglerJohn,

Great detective work , as you uncovered Fords TSB about the CAC having issues. These problems were happening on 2011-2012 Eco's. Ford has since redesigned the CAC to eliminate this issue.

I apologize if this is old information to you as you seem very versed in the Eco's. You do know what the CAC does ( without google) don't you?

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Scott, that is one sharp truck Sir.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by WranglerJohn
Fords are demon trucks,..

I disagree with everything you said but I love the way you said it. Most entertaining. If you ever give up your day job, take up writing blog or something.

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by nomad_archer
Thats pretty impressive considering my midsize crew cab tacoma gets the same mileage.

It's going to last a whole lot longer then a ticking time bomb . How much to replace turbos when they go even though they are water cooled?

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
WranglerJohn,

My experience is the exact opposite of yours. I have owned three Ford trucks and all have been flawless. I keep buying them because they don't break. Had to Chevies, both in the shop over and over. Had a Jeep Cherokee and that was the biggest piece of crap I have ever owned. I can't believe folks even buy those things....look at the resale, that will tell you what they are really worth.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

118 members (2ndwind, 99Ozarks, 10gaugemag, 673, 907brass, 17 invisible), 1,671 guests, and 991 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,117
Posts18,483,482
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.