Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
I have an opportunity to transfer with my job to Juneau. Been doing some quick checking around on rental houses and there doesnt seem to be to many options. Unfortunatly I'm on a pretty tight time line also. I have a few other questions Id also like to ask some folks in that area. If anyone can help Id appreciate it.
Yeah I know Alabama to Juneau is a bit of a change

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Cant help you much with info on Juneau, but I'd live in a tent for the summer if it got me out of 'Bama and up to SE AK.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I'm a J-towner. Housing ain't cheap and it's a tight market. Some of the real estate agents handle rentals. Call Taku Real Estate. I assume you checked Craigs List.

There's also the local rags classifieds:

http://juneauempire.com/classifieds/

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
There are rentals to be had. But without knowing what you are willing to spend its hard to give you direction. Like MuskegMan said it ain't cheap. Call Gwen Place @ Race Reality.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
J
J
As the others have said - the rental market is pretty limited and housing prices (OK - the prices for everything) tend to run high. But it's a great place to live - great hiking, hunting, fishing, scenery, friendly people. The weather is great too - as long as you have good raingear and a positive outlook.

IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Pack a raincoat. wink

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

83 F on Saturday (tied a record) and 85 F on Sunday (broke the record). My gills are drying up and my webbed feet are cracking.

Need . . . moisture. . . badly!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hey, I saw the sun in Juneau the 3rd or 4th time I went there! whistle

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I can totally relate with Muskeg! I had a buddy who moved up here a few years ago and stayed at St. Vincent. It's a hole, but its a roof till ya find something else. Keep an eye out for just a room to rent, there are a lot of folks who rent a house then find roommates. September s easier to find rentals, the tourist employees are heading south and rooms come up. Hope it helps.

Good luck, good hunting, and good times.
A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Well it would also be my wife and my 8yr old son. Was really hoping to find a place with 3br 2 ba. But I was shocked when I saw that 1br apt are $1100+

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Welcome to housing prices in Ak. That Salary seemed awfully big until you started checking prices didn't it?

"243/85TSX It's as if the HAMMER OF THOR were wielded by CHUCK NORRIS himself, and a roundhouse kick thrown in for good measure."
A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by 358Norma_fan
Welcome to housing prices in Ak. That Salary seemed awfully big until you started checking prices didn't it?

I knew the prices were much higher there but I wasnt expecting $2200 a month rent for a 2 br house. I'm pretty sure I can buy a very nice RV for half that IF I can find a place to park it.
I havent given up yet.
I have always dreamed about living up there, just may be a little bit longer before I make it.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I have a female friend that grew up in Juneau. She's laughing at your post. There's only 2 RV parks in the area that allow long term stay, and the park service campgrounds only 10 days total.

"243/85TSX It's as if the HAMMER OF THOR were wielded by CHUCK NORRIS himself, and a roundhouse kick thrown in for good measure."
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Your best bet honestly is to go up solo. Work a few months and experiance Juneau, to make sure " It's for you". That way you can look for better housing while figuring out if you really want to live there. Then once you have it figured out and housing secured, bring the family up.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'd give a left nut to be in your shoes. Don't squander the opportunity and just make the leap of faith.

The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment. � WARREN G. BENNIS
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by ALLongshot

I knew the prices were much higher there but I wasnt expecting $2200 a month rent for a 2 br house. I'm pretty sure I can buy a very nice RV for half that IF I can find a place to park it.
I havent given up yet.
I have always dreamed about living up there, just may be a little bit longer before I make it.

Probably the cheapest way to live here in Juneau, especially for a single guy, is on a boat. You can buy a boat for a month or three worth of rent and the harbor fees are usually about $100.-$200./month. There is a laundry/showers about a block from Harris harbor downtown. Even if you sell the boat at a loss when you leave you tend to save a lot of money plus you might get to do more fishing. Check out Craigslist for Juneau boats for sale or just walk the piers for signs.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Arbalester
Originally Posted by ALLongshot

I havent given up yet.

Probably the cheapest way to live here in Juneau, especially for a single guy, is on a boat. You can buy a boat for a month or three worth of rent and the harbor fees are usually about $100.-$200./month. There is a laundry/showers about a block from Harris harbor downtown. Even if you sell the boat at a loss when you leave you tend to save a lot of money plus you might get to do more fishing. Check out Craigslist for Juneau boats for sale or just walk the piers for signs.

I agree and thought about that. But not everyone is cut out to live on a boat with wife and kid. If you can do it then it is the best option for sure.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter

I agree and thought about that. But not everyone is cut out to live on a boat with wife and kid. If you can do it then it is the best option for sure.

Most wives (like my lovely wife) are a lot less fond of liveaboards than men. An 8 yo is also tricky. I spent a summer on a sailboat in Harris Harbor back in the mid 70s. I was 13 and my 10 yo brother but those were different times. http://juneau.craigslist.org/
Sometimes your church can help a lot here too.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Lived in Juneau for 4 years. About two years renting a room & the last two I bought a 28' trailer and lived in that at a private campground. I was single at the time. It's a tough market. I would consider buying if you knew you would be there for 2+ years. I really feel like you have to have a trailerable boat to enjoy Juneau.

Not to burst your bubble, but I've lived all over the state, the 14 years I was there, and Juneau was my least favorite place, but I have a few friends that love it.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
"Your best bet honestly is to go up solo. Work a few months and experiance Juneau, to make sure " It's for you". That way you can look for better housing while figuring out if you really want to live there. Then once you have it figured out and housing secured, bring the family up."

+1. Also try to be there during the livlier months of October thru April to get a better sense of the place.

Last edited by Kushtekaa; 06/25/13.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

586 members (007FJ, 160user, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 10Glocks, 65 invisible), 2,658 guests, and 1,341 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,948
Posts18,480,334
Members73,954
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.