Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
L
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
L
its been a DREAM OF MINE TO ACCOMPLISH,, 3 serious attempts and still no success,, and the 2nd part of the goal is to harvest an ani mal with it,, I been watching youtube there is a guy who makes it look so easy,

GB1

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
have a young nephew, now in the marines that has been doing his own bows out Bois D Arc, and though no deer yet has shot plenty of small game with em.

Most important thing with them IMHO is a sharp cut on contact smaller head, not a huge one, as most home made bows don't have huge draw weights.

I shot a deer iwth a kit bow a couple of times, 40ish pound draw, laminated and such you just had to do all the cuts on the riser and limb ends and finish it out. Bingham used to sell those years ago.

Oh yeah, large enough feathers to stabilize the never perfectly straight arrows.

Stone heads is on my list... a good 4H shooter of mine is making them now... only takes time to get it all done.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I've made several. Shoot me a PM and I'll help in any way I can.
Here is a BBO I made a couple years ago.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Sorry about the blurry photos. This was before I got my new camera. Don't hesitate to PM but the "Traditional Bowyers Bible volume one" and "The Bent Stick" are good source books. Also www.traditionalarcher.com

I assume we are talking natural material bows. If you mean laminated FRP bows, I can still be of some help.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
One of the guys I shoot with on Tuesday nights is in the process of making a longbow. He started with a stave from 3-Rivers, very nice piece of wood to start with.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Let's try www.primitivearcher.com That's the one. The other is messed up. Just go to the message boards and the build alongs.

Last edited by R_H_Clark; 06/21/13.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've been tempted for a few years and just might get started on one this summer.

I really don't want to get into itchy, fiberglass, glue and lots of clamps, but may be able to make a simple selfbow without all that. I've got flintlock building tools for shaping gun stocks, etc,.

One reason I've held off on a selfbow is I just got back into recurves a few yrs back and know if I made a decent selfbow I probably wouldn't want to shoot and hunt with my recurves anymore.

L
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
L
R H CLARK,, that self made bow is super nice,, whats the draw weight on it? (have to know,,lol),
I will check out the web site submitted,, thanks alot

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Sorry about the blurry photos. This was before I got my new camera. Don't hesitate to PM but the "Traditional Bowyers Bible volume one" and "The Bent Stick" are good source books. Also www.traditionalarcher.com

I assume we are talking natural material bows. If you mean laminated FRP bows, I can still be of some help.

Very nice!

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by lovebmper_2020
R H CLARK,, that self made bow is super nice,, whats the draw weight on it? (have to know,,lol),
I will check out the web site submitted,, thanks alot

It's 60 lbs. at 29" and 66 inches long. It was made from spliced billets and is, as you can see backed with bamboo.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by butchlambert1
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Very nice!

Sir, do I know you from the Howard Hill or Twin Oaks 3-D ? your name sounds very familiar.

Last edited by R_H_Clark; 06/21/13.
IC B3

T
TB8 Offline
T
I would love to make my own bow one day! If only I had the time to do it right now...

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Might I make a suggestion; Go on Tradgang and read all of "The Bowyers Bench" threads-its free. Those guys all make their own bows.

"Most people have the will to win, few have the will to prepare to win."

Things turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out-Art Linkletter
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Hoyt
I've been tempted for a few years and just might get started on one this summer.

I really don't want to get into itchy, fiberglass, glue and lots of clamps, but may be able to make a simple selfbow without all that. I've got flintlock building tools for shaping gun stocks, etc,.

One reason I've held off on a selfbow is I just got back into recurves a few yrs back and know if I made a decent selfbow I probably wouldn't want to shoot and hunt with my recurves anymore.

if you get itchy from the bit of glass/glue used on a bow, that means you fell into it and rolled around....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Time and patience is your friend. I have neither at this point in the game or at least not enough. I have a good friend who is a bowyer and to watch him work is a privilege. Sounds like you have some good help on here though, take advantage of it.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I may be able to help with questions on laminated bows, but I've been out of the loop with self bows for so long now that I wouldn't know where to start.

I got the itch to build my own bows back in the late 1980's and started carving self bows of Yew and Osage. I had more failures than successes but did have a few that turned out and shot them exclusively for a few years. In the mid-1990's, I met a fellow that built longbows for Howard Hill Archery in the 1960's/1970's who encouraged me to start building laminated longbows. I resisted for a while but eventually (with his coaching), started building a Hill style laminated longbow. After a few years of building those, I started building a mild reflex/deflex longbow but eventually got out of bow building entirely for a number of years.

A few years ago the itch came back and I decided to start up again and designed a hybrid longbow that I've been very pleased with. Several pards of mine are now shooting and hunting with bows I built for them that are very similar to the one below:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
That looks great! Is that stained Zebrawood?

I wish I could do that.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Thanks - it is stained Zebrawood. The Zebrawood limb veneers I had were from a different source than the riser so I blended in some walnut stain to attempt a closer match.

Last edited by JGray; 07/24/13.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
For lack of a better phrase I'll just call that a work of art. Can I be one of your "pards"? smile

Last edited by Take_a_knee; 07/24/13. Reason: spellin'
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by JGray
Thanks - it is stained Zebrawood. The Zebrawood limb veneers I had were from a different source than the riser so I blended in some walnut stain to attempt a closer match.

Thanks. I'd love to shoot one of your bows. Love that Zebra.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Surf up a gentleman named John Strunk (Tillamook, Oregon). He conducts reasonable $$ classes and one will leave with an excellent long bow at the end of the second day. I did a vine maple bow beneath his watchful eye.

1Minute

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

686 members (12344mag, 160user, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 1234, 19rabbit52, 72 invisible), 3,279 guests, and 1,403 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,432
Posts18,528,577
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.