Hop To
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
B
bcd Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
I Just bought one but I read a lot of forums and there is a lot of hatred towards it??? They say its way to expensive to plink and not much better and a fish out of water and then they turn around and luv the .17> luv>luv>Luv it { isnt it very expensive to shoot and a fish out of water} very strange!

GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
bah humbughh....

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Horses for courses.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I Just bought one but I read a lot of forums and there is a lot of hatred towards it???

It is because they have never owned one. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
B
bcd Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
So is the big push for rim fire .17 by the {MAN}?

IC B2

B
bcd Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Its just Gush >Gush > Gush for the .17 all over the place!> Why is it so much better and for what! I Got a 455 so I can switch to .17 when the {Man} desides the Mag is dead!

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
The 22 mag has a very limited use, it is not as accurate as a 22LR, nor a .17HMR. The ammo is expensive as well. More than 17HMR in my parts. Nothing against them, but I don't see the need as I have a Quad with 22LR and 17HMR barrels.

B
bcd Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
There we go a Gush!> and a hater very interesting. and smith Im not putting you down , your one of many on the forums with the same sayings>>very intro.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Stop. Let the little{Man} outta your head. And for cripes sake, stay off all those hater forums. It'll drive you to illiteracy, or at least make ya <Gush!>.....

B
bcd Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
22lr and .17 will rule and the mag will fade into history like the 264 mag and the 300 H&H ?

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
They are just jealous. I have a stock 22 mag Ruger 77 target with heavy barrel and laminate stock that will out shoot just about any factory 22 LR in the same price range with the right bullets.

B
bcd Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
But The {MAN} is telling you 22lr and .17, read the magazines and the NET!!!> and forums. Its like bug splatter on the windshied, its every where!

Last edited by bcd; 06/21/13.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Is your>>head point>Ed like a VMAX? :-/<

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

B
bcd Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Elmer Keith once wrote disparagingly that the .270 Winchester was an adequate coyote cartridge. Why would you use a .17 to kill when you can use a 22 cal?

B
bcd Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
So What Im Thinken the .17 is cool with the punch PAPER crowd and show it on youtube? am I wrong? and the water bottle booms all over the place Utube people??

Last edited by bcd; 06/21/13.
B
bcd Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
But as I said its only a 22!

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by bcd
22lr and .17 will rule and the mag will fade into history like the 264 mag and the 300 H&H ?

i doubt that very much,there will always be some around

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Elmer also said, any one who uses a caliber less than .22 the caliber matches his IQ..!!

Molon Labe
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I never thought I'd get anything smaller than 22 cal. It took 10 years but I finally got a 17hmr, better late than never.
Also a 204 and now I've got fantasies for a 17 Remington.
Oh well.

"I was born in the log cabin I helped my grandfather build"
B
bcd Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Elmer also said, any one who uses a caliber less than .22 the caliber matches his IQ..!!
O MY!

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I haven't fed the trolls lately, so here you go (bcd) get what makes you happy. LOL

B
bcd Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Smith I am not a troll and your on report!> I treat you with respect> so you should TO!!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
'too'. meaning also.....

See? I was right.....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The .22 WMR is not legal in the CT state forests. The most powerful rifle allowed is the .17 HMR.

Thus I bought a .17 HMR (CZ 455) and found it to be quite accurate with more range that the .22 LR.

The .22 Mags we have are nice guns but either not legal or the centerfires have more range.

Here is a handsome .22 WMR.

[Linked Image]

All guns should be locked up when not in use!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It was after I bought my WMR that I learned the mammoths were extinct. -sigh-

Haven't blooded the .17 yet...but I will. Might start a pool to find out how big a pig has to be to be BB proof. Zimmers are a riot.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by smithrjd
The 22 mag has a very limited use, it is not as accurate as a 22LR, nor a .17HMR. The ammo is expensive as well. More than 17HMR in my parts. Nothing against them, but I don't see the need as I have a Quad with 22LR and 17HMR barrels.

I have and hunt with all three rounds. I would be interested in hearing the limited uses of the 22 mag in relation to either the .17 or the .22lr. Not only through my own overall personal experience, but I know of quite a few coyotes that would disagree with you as well.

Your position is not only contradictory, but a prime example as to the validity of the argument that most have against the 22mag. First you state that they are of limited use, subpar accuracy, and to expensive, but yet you then go on to state you have nothing against them(?).

It seems since you already have a .22lr and a .17hmr and "see no need personally" for the .22mag, then the reason must lie in the short comings of the round itself.

B
bcd Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Right on Tndrbstr! This is what I find in a lot of posters and na sayers. My Gun will be coming in soon then I will find out how good the 22 mag is. But Im old school ,weight of a bullet kills better then speed! You dont need much weight to kill paper and pretty little hole to show your friends.

Last edited by bcd; 06/22/13.
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Don't know about haters but for me the .22 mag has always suffered from higher ammo costs because it is always compared cost wise to the .22 LR. It probably should be compared more with the Hornet or something. I didn't have one for years but have had a couple for a few years now because of TN predator hunting laws that preclude use of a centerfire during a portion of the year. I do like them better than I 'thought' I would. And I don't care for the .17 HMR much.

B
bcd Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
But if you can get weight and speed together!!!! thats why I went for the 22 mag . As I said I cant talk to much before I put the mag through some real life tests.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Plateau Hunter
Don't know about haters but for me the .22 mag has always suffered from higher ammo costs because it is always compared cost wise to the .22 LR. It probably should be compared more with the Hornet or something. I didn't have one for years but have had a couple for a few years now because of TN predator hunting laws that preclude use of a centerfire during a portion of the year. I do like them better than I 'thought' I would. And I don't care for the .17 HMR much.

I bought the .17hmr with much anticipation. I found out pretty quick that it is a in between caliber for me. Over kill on the squirrels and rabbits and under gunned on the coyotes. But it sure is FUN to shoot ground hogs with tho! Or just fun to shoot in general as far as that goes.

I did realize pretty quick there is a lot of difference in just the 3 grns of weight between the hmr 17 and 20 grn pills when shooting coyotes.
The polymer tips are just about useless in coyote sized animals imo, as well as the meat recovery business.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I've owned and shot a number of .22 Magnums, but aside from one custom rifle and one heavy-barreled factory rifle they have never shot as accurately as the average .17 HMR--or any accurate .22 Long Rifle.

But so what? A .22 Magnum is far more effective than the .22 Long Rifle on animals bigger than prairie dogs, and somewhat more effective than the .17 HMR.

Yeah, a .22 LR or .17 HMR will kill animals like jackrabbits, chucks, etc., but on average the .22 Magnum will kill 'em more impressively and further away, despite not shooting quite as accurately, because you don't need pinpoint placement to kill 10-pound animals.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I'm not a big fan of 22WMR because I could hand load a box of 22 Hornet cheaper than buying a box of 22WMR. The hornet of course exceeds the performance of the 22WMR in every respect, so why spend the money for less.

All that being said, I've got some pretty rifles and an ugly PMR30 that will shoot the 22WMR pretty well if need be.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost....
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Allen917
I'm not a big fan of 22WMR because I could hand load a box of 22 Hornet cheaper than buying a box of 22WMR. The hornet of course exceeds the performance of the 22WMR in every respect, so why spend the money for less.

Hunting regulations are the biggest difference. Center fire vs rim fire.
But just recently our state regulations were finally set to accommodate center fires into varmit hunting.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Yep, when politics gets involved, common sense has no place.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost....
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Allen917,

I always find statements like this interesting. No doubt the .22 Hornet is more cartridge than the .22 Magnum, but with even the cheapest jacketed bullets (right now around $14 per 100) it costs just about as much to handload the Hornet as buy .22 Magnum for $10 a 50-round box--and in normal times that's what it can be found for.

Then there's the time spent handloading. If you discount that, whether because you're retired or just like to do it, then you break even. If not, the .22 Magnum is cheaper to shoot--and it comes in rifles the Hornet doesn't, whether "affordable" bolt actions or levers, pumps and semi-autos.

I'm a big fan of the Hornet, but still find plenty of uses for a .22 Magnum.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by tndrbstr

Hunting regulations are the biggest difference. Center fire vs rim fire.
But just recently our state regulations were finally set to accommodate center fires into varmit hunting.

Same here. In the last 7-8 years our local WMA's have started having hog problems. I have often considered getting a 22 mag just so I could hunt hogs during squirrel season.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
You are right now days. But I was using 223 46 Gr. bullets that I paid about $5/ hundred for. Good ole Hornady and Speer, with a few Sierra's thrown in when I wanted to splurge on a expensive bullet.

V
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
Bcd: I have owned a bunch of 22 Magnums and 22 Specials over the past several decades and indeed "they" are not much better than todays peppy loads in a 22 L.R.!
I currently own both 22 Magnum Rifles and 22 Magnum pistols and they very rarely come out of my gun vaults anymore - the reasons are manifold!
But to simplify what you touched on in your original posting the 17 HMR (in both Rifles and pistols!) is so far superior to the 22 Magnum that for the same money a shooter is WAY ahead going with the 17 HMR!
The 17 HMR is not only superior in trajectory and wind bucking ability (both of which means better accuracy afield and at the range!) but it is also MORE accurate and MORE lethal than any of the 22 Magnums/Specials!
Among knowledgeable shooters/small game Hunters/Varmint Hunters indeed they virtually unanimously prefer the 17 HMR over the 22 Magnum.
If that constitutes "hatred" in your mind then so be it - there are a lot of 22 Magnum "haters" out there - and they have good reason.
Long live the 17 HMR!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I'd say the 17 HMR is a more perfected round for gophers, PDs, crows etc, with less ricochet hazards. Where the 22 Mag with bullets from 25gr up to 50 gr has more overall versatility.

I had a Win 94 22Mag I let go long ago.....dumb move. Lately I've been mulling either another 22Mag, or a 17 HMR. I think they are both winners.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by bcd
Smith I am not a troll and your on report!> I treat you with respect> so you should TO!!

listen jerk,if you are that thin skinned then i suggest you go else where.and if you dont like this statment put me on report.you have been whinning and sniveling here about people treating you bad,well pack sand and go schitt on people some where else.you bring up some of the wierdest crap around.now,go run and snitch on me!ill even send you my full name to make sure you get it right.

Last edited by sandpit; 06/22/13.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Bcd: Among knowledgeable shooters/small game Hunters/Varmint Hunters indeed they virtually unanimously prefer the 17 HMR over the 22 Magnum.
If that constitutes "hatred" in your mind then so be it - there are a lot of 22 Magnum "haters" out there - and they have good reason.

I call BS on that.
Here is the end summary of what Chuck Hawks had to say after and extensive comparison of the two rounds. And I'd say he is about a knowledgeable as most in his field.

Summary and conclusion

The .17 HMR and .22 WMR are both useful varmint and small game cartridges. Ammunition and rifles for both are widely distributed and commonly available. Recoil and muzzle blast are low for both, particularly from a rifle. They are good cartridges for use in semi-populated areas.

.17 HMR ammunition is generally more expensive than .22 WMR ammunition, but the difference will not be an unbearable burden to most small game and varmint hunters. For inexpensive practice at the range, neither is in the price class of the .22 Long Rifle.

Used with proper ammunition, the .17 HMR has an advantage in velocity, trajectory, and accuracy. The .22 WMR has an advantage in energy, bullet frontal area, sectional density, and consequently killing power.

After researching and writing this article, I have reached a conclusion about these two cartridges. I would favor the .22 WMR for shooting small game and varmints within 100 yards, and the .17 HMR if shots often run much beyond that distance.

v
v
v

http://www.chuckhawks.com/compared_17HMR_22WMR.htm

edited to add link

Last edited by tndrbstr; 06/22/13.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
It depends on what you hunt. The 22 mag is useful for woodchucks, coyotes, and badgers etc. larger animals than say rabbits and squirrels. The 22LR and 17HMR have their niche as well. Smaller animals longer range etc. The 17HMR is rough on meat, but with prairie dogs, ground squirrels etc I don't care about the meat but want the range and accuracy. Squirrels, rabbits, grouse etc the 22LR works for me. The one time I went after a coyote I wanted it gone and used a 243. If you have the limited need for a 22 mag then fine, for myself I do not. It does very little that my 22LR and 17HMR can not do. If it was what I had I would use one, but for me to go out and get one, even a 22 mag barrel for my Sako Quad, I do not have any need for one.

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
I picked up a CZ .22 mag. several years ago, and with a good scope, the accuracy is outstanding.. During the summer mths. it it one rifle that always goes in the pickup and along on camping trips.. My only regret is it is very light..I would prefer a heavier rifle.. But accuracy and killing power on p. dogs, jacks and rock chucks is excellent.. I did try a 17 HMR, but sold it shortly after the purchase.. I have almost purchased another several times.. But when I consider stocking up on ammo, the rifle purchase, scope purchase, I can buy lots of .22 mag ammo for the rifle I have.. I know VarmintGuy, really likes his 17's, and the glowing reports of their use on gophers may still lead me down the .17 trail.. But I find the .22 mag. very, v ery useful in hunting varmints.. With a rack of common .22's, a Hornet and .222's though Swifts, I find it is a prefect addition to my varmint hunting battery..

Molon Labe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I bought a .22 magnum in a Winchester lever action back in the mid 1970's and it instantly became my favorite rifle. It will also be one of the last that I will part with. miles

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by milespatton
I bought a .22 magnum in a Winchester lever action back in the mid 1970's and it instantly became my favorite rifle. It will also be one of the last that I will part with. miles

I know what you mean. I love mine. My 9422m was mnfg in 72 at new haven conn..
It is one heck of a shooter too. I wouldn't take 800 dollars for it.

[Linked Image]

And just to show that I'm not biased, Here is my .17 cals.
A cz 452 american and a s&w 647 six shooter

[Linked Image]

B
bcd Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
See Smith and why I started this thread was in my youth I left behind the 22 for bigger and better things > like the 375H&H. but after 30 years I find I want a 22 , is that so wrong. In my youth I found the 22long lacking {and I shot a lot 22long bullets} I dont want to reload because I am tired of it , only if I can have one small bore that I dont have to reload for would be great! Ya I Have a 220 swift> but Again I have to reload. so whats the best small bore and no reloading is the 22long, 22 mag and the .17.

Last edited by bcd; 06/22/13.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Depends on what you're going to use it for--but if I were going to have only ONE of those it would be a .22 Long Rifle.

John Steinbeck
B
bcd Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Depends on what you're going to use it for.
I dont understand this???>Punch paper or kill???

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
bcd,does that stand for bad conduct discharge?

B
bcd Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
I dont get it< please tell me if Im wrong ??? They say a 22 mag has twice the killing power of the 22 long and .17 > but the long and .17 print better pictures on paPER> I will take the killing power! or is there something wrong with me?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
yes

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Do what? I have nothing against 22mag.

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
I love all of my .22 mags. When fed its favorite load, my heavy barreled Savage in .22 mag will shoot groups right alongside my almost identical heavy barreled Savage in 17hmr with its favorite load.

I like the .17 for ground squirrels but anything bigger like jack rabbits or feral cats, I'll take the .22 mag every time.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Like Mule Deer and a few others here, I like the .22 mag for jack rabbits and larger varmints. For ground squirrels and prairie dogs, I like my .17 HMR or a .22 LR.

�That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there.� George Orwell
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I tryed a 17hmr here in SD and the wind just blew the bullet all over the place. I then bought a 22wmr and it held tighter groups in the wind at 100 yards. I know it doesn't make much sense because the 17 gets there faster, but the 22wmr in my experience wasn't soooooooo much effected by the wind. the 22wmr hits harder on bigger creatures too.

B
bcd Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Elmer Keith > THE MORE Gun the better!

B
bcd Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
punching holes on paper is great but killing power is by weight!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
So a bowling ball thrown at an elephant is more effective than a .459 Lott? Sorry - I don't buy that there is one factor in killing power. It takes many things - velocity, bullet construction, etc. Weight is just one factor.

�That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there.� George Orwell
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by bcd
O MY!

Elmer also said the 7x57 was not a good choice for medium game ,but never used one himself.........
He was old and senial before the advent of good bullets and truly accurate rifles. His track record is from a time just after black powder and before modern technology. Good thing there was alot of game and few hunters in the West then...........................:)

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Calif. Hunter
So a bowling ball thrown at an elephant is more effective than a .459 Lott?

If you can throw it at 2200 ft per second then I'd say yes, the elephant would be just as dead.
And no doubt, you would be the highest paid player in the Major leagues....

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I use the five currently common RF cartridges; 17HM2, 17HMR, 5mm Rem Mag, 22 LR, and 22 Mag in seventy-seven firearms, and think that all of them are useful within the scope of their particular niches.

I doubt that anybody is going to claim that the .22 MRF is in the same accuracy neighborhood as the .22 LR, but I think that is a more a factor of the quality of rifles and ammunition, rather than because of some flaw in the cartridge itself. I have had pretty good luck using the .22 LR in .22 Mag chamber adapters from www.mcace.com for plinking with revolvers, single shots, and bolt action .22 Magnums. Not match grade accuracy, but accurate enough for casual plinking and less expensive practicing. I particularly like these adapters in .22 Mag revolvers, since I need all the practice that I can get when shooting handguns.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Back in the mid to late 1970's I worked for some men raising minnows for fish bait and there were lots of frogs and snakes and turtles and ducks and cranes and muskrats and other things that needed killing while you were out and about. I used a nylon 66 in .22 long rifle for a long time and it did a good job but when I bought the .22 mag, it was a whole bunch better. Now this was before stingers and those types of .22 bullets but the mag would hammer things a lot better. A bullfrog shot with a .22 long rifle will jump into the water a lot of the time if you do not hit the hump or the spot that I call an ear. Shot with a .22 mag it would not move. You did have to be careful about the angle or you would ruin the legs. In daily use it was easy to see how much better the mag was on critters. I have never shot much paper with either one. miles

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The ole 22 mag has put alot of meat on my plate. It has it's place, but i don't think you can compare it to the hyper velocity 22 lr rds. Reason being... from my exp not many 22 lr's shoot those hyper rds very well( wish they did). I'll take the .22's over the 17's for what i hunt.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Works for me. And that critter was about the size of 10 yotes.

Want To Buy;
Form die for a 7mm Mashburn Super.
.284 Hornady AMax 162gr.
.224 Hornady AMax 75gr.
22-250 bushing die
Bushing die that will work with the 7mm Mashburn Super
A couple Glock 42 380ACP mags
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
When I was a kid, I also plinked a lot of living target with my Nylon 66, mostly with high speed 40 grain bullets. If I was to do so today, the 17HM2 would be my cartridge of choice out to 100 yards or so and the 17HMR for ranges out to 150 yards or so.

My friend in NH, Andy, is a disabled Vietnam vet who feeds himself with what he grows, raises, catches, or kills. The rifle that is his daily companion is a well worn Marlin 783S/883S and he doesn't go without fresh wild meat, even if that means he's eating woodchuck stew.

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
260, Elmer was never senial, he did suffer a stroke.. If you think the west was full of game in those early days, look over Elmer's hunts in the 20's and 30's.. They often traveled by foot in deep snow..One hunt they were out for 30 days in cold and snow before they got into elk. This was also the days before 4wheel drives and the atv crowd..

Molon Labe
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I don't recall having posted anything about EK in this thread.

EK's handgun work with the 357 Magnum and 44 Special interests me and I'd love to own his First Model Newton in 256 Newton. I enjoy reading EK's books, particularly "Hell, I was there!", even if it isn't what anybody would considered "correct" in today's PC world. I have always wondered how much his stories got "improved" over time, particularly his claims of holding people at gun point to prove a point, like his tale about holding the local LEOs in Ajo, AZ, at gun point while he and Doc ?? left town on the train.

B
bcd Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Elmer was never senial, he did suffer a stroke.. If you think the west was full of game in those early days, look over Elmer's hunts in the 20's and 30's.. They often traveled by foot in deep snow..One hunt they were out for 30 days in cold and snow before they got into elk. This was also the days before 4wheel drives and the atv crowd..
LUV IT!

B
bcd Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Heavy bullets will always kill better then speed that kills paper!

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by bcd
Heavy bullets will always kill better then speed that kills paper!

Shot placement trumps all.

B
bcd Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Shot placement trumps all.> thats not really True!Shock is the real killer and stopper placement deff playes a roll!

Last edited by bcd; 06/23/13.
B
bcd Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
If your in a slaughter house to a cows head shot placement does trump ALL!>ENJOY!

Last edited by bcd; 06/23/13.
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
260 Rem. I realized after the post there are 2 guys with 260 in their names..Wy260 declared Elmer was senile.. But since your brought the question to light.. I knew Elmer a little, and had friends who knew him well.. His stories never changed.. From all that I gather he had an exception memory.. As far as holding people at gunpoint.. I for one am certain it happened.. That has happened during my lifetime.. It is only with in the last generation America has become so sue happy, that one is almost afraid to breathe.. Sorry for the mix up.. When I look at the contributions Elmer made to shooting and guns, I have great respect for him.. Unlike many gunwriters of his time and today, Elmer was a gunman first.. Then became a writer.. Many of the famous "gunwriters" both past and present were writers first, then became "gunmen" when the job came up..

Molon Labe
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I agree that America has become the land of law suits, too many attorneys making work for themselves.

However, what else are you going to do when your neighbor decided to cut your fence and run his cattle on your grass and water or people decide to trespass on your ground 'cause they'd been doing so when they had permission to do so under the previous owner or ??????

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
No argument there.. I much prefer the earlier way of settling things..

Molon Labe
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
In regards to the Elmer Keith remarks - I knew Elmer Keith, certainly not to the point that we were at each others house for supper but more as a casual friendship in that we knew each other as acquaintances not close friends, we occasionally had some rather in-depth conversations regarding firearms and "the old days". As far as being senile his mind was still sharp as the proverbial tack prior to his stroke, unfortunately I never visited him in the hospital so I cannot speak of how much effect the stroke had on his acuity. My last long visit with him was just prior to his stroke and trust me - he was not senile.

As far as there being more game in the 20's and 30's - that is the biggest falsehood of all. Those were the "bad old days" not the "good old days". As previously mentioned big game populations were extremely low due to poaching, overhunting, lax enforcement from an understaffed fish and game departments, and a host of other reasons. I knew many old time outfitters who lived through those years and the tales of that era were quite grim. An elk hunt was not a weekend event, rather it was a two or three week or perhaps as much as a month thing with lots of hardships.

Today Elmer is lambasted for his "raking shots" (aka a Texas heart shot or a going away shot) but given the fact that game was scarce and opportunities were rare it is understandable. It also explains his propensities for large calibers and bullets with lots of mass to them, if you only have an opportunity for one hit a large caliber is more likely to anchor the animal faster than a small caliber in the hands of a capable shooter, which Elmer surely was.

This topic has been an interesting read but please do not use it to disparage the memory of a man, particularly if you only know him by reading comments by people who did not know him. Yes, he was opinionated - partially from experience and somewhat because it made good copy for his writing.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Shoot them all. Don't forget the 5mm either.

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
drover, right on..He was one of the greats, maybe the greatest!!!

Molon Labe
R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
The .22 Magnum is my favorite "survival" cartridge. Yes, it is more money per round than .22 Long Rifle but it puts out a lot more to.

Most .22 Long Rifle runs in the 1200-1500 fps range, but generally the higher velocity rounds are 32+- grain bullets, no 40s. .22 Magnum starts at 1750 from a rifle length barrel and works up to 2200 fps with the lighter bullets. Even from a 4" handgun a 40 grain .22 Magnum will about equal a standard 40 grain .22 LR from a rifle.

As to accuracy, no one rifle likes all rounds just like in a .22 LR or a centerfire. I have a Savage 24 .22 Magnum/ 20 ga. and had a Marlin 57 Levermatic that will shoot Winchester 40 grain JHPs into 3/8" groups all day long at 50 yards. Put the CCI TNT HPs in and the groups immediately open up to 3". A Ruger 77/.22 Magnum will run the 40 grain HPs in the inch range at 50 yards but with the TNT HPs will do three shots that can be covered with a dime.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

So before saying .22 Magnums are not as accurate as .22 LR test some ammo in the gun before giving up.

The .22 Magnum is also one of the poachers favorite big game rounds. Where legal I have also spoken with a bunch of shooters who have used them on deer. They describe the effect of a heart or lung shot deer with a .22 Magnum as either going right down or running no further than a arrowed deer. I have never nor do I ever plan on "hunting" deer with a .22 Magnum but knowing it is effective on large game is the reason I have one as a survival gun. It is both effective and a lot of rounds can be carried. From what I have been told the round to use is the original Winchester Jacketed HP as pictured above...they act like a big game bullet and expand, not blow up like a lightweight HP will.

Although I don't hunt small game as much as I once used to, the .22 Magnum is what usually goes out with me now. The last two squirrels I shot with the Winchester 40 grain HP round had no more damage than a .22 LR HP.

One of my favorite .22 Magnums is an all stainless steel Cricket...it is the only all stainless one I have ever seen as most have a blue receive and stainless barrel. It fits perfectly in a tactical shotgun scabbard with extra ammo and a Becker Campanion secured to the scabbard...

[Linked Image]

For its short stock and course sights it will get the job done...

[Linked Image]

Two shot groups while regulating the sight...this from a 3# rifle with peepsights at 50 yards...

[Linked Image]

Have never owned a .17 and with the current ammunition situation probably never will...but for those who love them there is more than enough room in the world for one more caliber...

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The gains from stepping up to a 22 Mag just were not worth the price to me. With the right ammo (a much broader selection available in 22LR) and a good rifle, I can accomplish pretty much all of the same tasks.

Just not worth it. I simply can't afford 6 to 10K rds of 22 mag a year.

Last edited by 1minute; 06/24/13.

1Minute
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The thing that sets the 22 Magnum apart from the 22 S/L/LR as a hunting cartridge is bullet construction. Bullets for the 22 S/L/LR are almost always lead or lead washed with a coating, while 22 Magnum bullets are all jacketed. The 22 Magnum ammo is now available in a variety of soft-point, hollow-point, full metal jacket, and plastic tipped bullets, making it quite versatile for a wider range of hunting applications than it was fifty years ago.

The 22 Magnum is not an inexpensive cartridge to plink with, but when used within the limits of its "power" as a hunting, self-defense, or survival cartridge it is head and shoulders superior to any 22 S/L/LR that I know of. You can actually do pretty well at plinking with the 22 LR in 22 Mag chamber adapters sold by www.MCACE.com.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by bcd
Shot placement trumps all.> thats not really True!Shock is the real killer and stopper placement deff playes a roll!

Bullchitt.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I am..........disturbed.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by RJM
The .22 Magnum is my favorite "survival" cartridge. Yes, it is more money per round than .22 Long Rifle but it puts out a lot more to.

Most .22 Long Rifle runs in the 1200-1500 fps range, but generally the higher velocity rounds are 32+- grain bullets, no 40s. .22 Magnum starts at 1750 from a rifle length barrel and works up to 2200 fps with the lighter bullets. Even from a 4" handgun a 40 grain .22 Magnum will about equal a standard 40 grain .22 LR from a rifle.

As to accuracy, no one rifle likes all rounds just like in a .22 LR or a centerfire. I have a Savage 24 .22 Magnum/ 20 ga. and had a Marlin 57 Levermatic that will shoot Winchester 40 grain JHPs into 3/8" groups all day long at 50 yards. Put the CCI TNT HPs in and the groups immediately open up to 3". A Ruger 77/.22 Magnum will run the 40 grain HPs in the inch range at 50 yards but with the TNT HPs will do three shots that can be covered with a dime.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

So before saying .22 Magnums are not as accurate as .22 LR test some ammo in the gun before giving up.

The .22 Magnum is also one of the poachers favorite big game rounds. Where legal I have also spoken with a bunch of shooters who have used them on deer. They describe the effect of a heart or lung shot deer with a .22 Magnum as either going right down or running no further than a arrowed deer. I have never nor do I ever plan on "hunting" deer with a .22 Magnum but knowing it is effective on large game is the reason I have one as a survival gun. It is both effective and a lot of rounds can be carried. From what I have been told the round to use is the original Winchester Jacketed HP as pictured above...they act like a big game bullet and expand, not blow up like a lightweight HP will.

Although I don't hunt small game as much as I once used to, the .22 Magnum is what usually goes out with me now. The last two squirrels I shot with the Winchester 40 grain HP round had no more damage than a .22 LR HP.

One of my favorite .22 Magnums is an all stainless steel Cricket...it is the only all stainless one I have ever seen as most have a blue receive and stainless barrel. It fits perfectly in a tactical shotgun scabbard with extra ammo and a Becker Campanion secured to the scabbard...

[Linked Image]

For its short stock and course sights it will get the job done...

[Linked Image]

Two shot groups while regulating the sight...this from a 3# rifle with peepsights at 50 yards...

[Linked Image]

Have never owned a .17 and with the current ammunition situation probably never will...but for those who love them there is more than enough room in the world for one more caliber...

Bob

Nice shooting Bob. Because of this thread I had to take my dads Mossberg Chuckster 640KD out tonight and try out it's new (I mean old) weaver K4 that I just put on it. She's still shooting pretty good. How does your Ruger m77/22mag shoot for 10 shots?:

[Linked Image]

This is my coyote load (Federal 50 gr. HP gameshock bullets). It actually shoots the 33gr. remington accu-tips better...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
DAN!!! will you please stop making the rest of us look bad.... grin We're all shooting mice with Magnums and you go kill pachyderms with CBs!!!

BSA...not really sure on the 77/22 Magnum. Usually once I get a gun sighted in I'll switch to small targets, like shotgun shells or pieces of broken clay birds.

That Chuckster you have is a shooting machine. I had one of the carbines with the fold down plastic forend back in the 1980s...only sold it as the trigger was HORRIBLY heavy and could not be refined.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
My bad, sorry.

I am..........disturbed.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Now I'm confused. 22 Magnums aren't good for anything. I think that I read that in a magazine or online. Your picture must be photochopped. Seems to me the minimum recommendation is 30 cal for pigs.

I used to shoot coyotes with a 22 Magnum until I read (on the Internets if I'm not mistaken) that they are too underpowered and the bullets won't expand. I felt awful thinking that the 100 or so that met their end with my Marlin were all lucky hits.

I guess I must be really lucky. Maybe you're really lucky too, Dan! smile

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Sometimes luck is better than cunning, but making luck is the best strategy.

I am..........disturbed.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Originally Posted by bcd

Bullchitt.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

That's cool. Were you in an elevated stand or just get a good shot from ground level?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Ground level still hunting. Started doing this with the .22 about 5-6 years back. Over 80 hogs to date, would have to count the brass to figure out the number. The gun was zeroed at 10 yards for the pics above, but I have recently moved that out to 20...dunno why, but I did. Haven't taken but one shot of all those that was much over 15 yards and that was taped at 38 yards...in the front yard. 'Bout fell out of my flip flops when that one rolled over dead.

A neighbor joined the fray last February and uses the WMR. It appears to be just as effective and he might even be shooting a little be farther.

I am..........disturbed.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Thanks Dan.
I've never shot a CB. I suppose a standard velocity 22 would work just the same but not be as quiet. I have a CZ Ultraluxe with a 29.5" barrel that makes most SV very quiet and might be close to CB levels.

I doubt if we have the numbers of Hogs that you do but do the CB's help you to shoot more than one in a bunch?

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by bcd

Bullchitt.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I love it.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
Thanks Dan.
I've never shot a CB. I suppose a standard velocity 22 would work just the same but not be as quiet. I have a CZ Ultraluxe with a 29.5" barrel that makes most SV very quiet and might be close to CB levels.

I doubt if we have the numbers of Hogs that you do but do the CB's help you to shoot more than one in a bunch?

The CB's do quiet pretty well and even with the single shot taking more than one at a time has been common. I've found if you have a sow with small ones can give measure of your appetite for skinnin' if you shoot momma first.

OTOH, I once shot a boar of about 200#, then a sow of about 150#, followed by three of her litter weighing about 30# each before the rest bolted. Never took a step thru the whole process. Tree trunks make good cover and "Pop'n Flop" could be a registered trademark.

Since you brought it up...even the SV ammo let's you tag a pair now and then.

CCI SV

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I am..........disturbed.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Adding this for the record. The SV ammo obviously expanded, in this case from passing thru vertebrae. In my experience, CB ammo does not expand at all, but penetrates far beyond what you might expect.

The bullet below came from a CCI CB short and made the hole in the skull pictured previously. It was found in the neck muscle aft of the skull.

[Linked Image]

The reverse view of the first skull shot, entry obvious as is the damage done to other bone on the way thru.

[Linked Image]

I am..........disturbed.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'd guess a .30 caliber something would do more damage....maybe make their eyes pop out of their head?

I am..........disturbed.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
It will happen with deer with a 30 caliber. LOL

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I have just killed one pig with a 22mag. Its the only one I have ever shot at with it. It was around 75lbs.
It dropped to the ground stone dead with out so much as leg twitch that I could tell.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I have just killed one pig with a 22mag. Its the only one I have ever shot at with it. It was around 75lbs.
It dropped to the ground stone dead with out so much as leg twitch that I could tell.

Where did you hit it?

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark

Where did you hit it?

Dead between the eyes at about 30 yards.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Hit 'em where it hurts...

I am..........disturbed.

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
gentlemen ... while we are all amazed by DD's stunt shooting with the bb gun, I'm sure we can all agree that even the .22 mag is inadequate for killin schit.

case in point, could a .22 mag do this?

[Linked Image]

I don't think so. Obviously, a .22 hornet is the bare minimum, and that only for field-mice sized critters.

"Use enough gun!"

[Linked Image]

Uber Demanding Rifle Aficionado
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
22 mag is likely the best choice in my situation. I have to hunt hogs in a management area during another legal season such as squirrel with calibers allowed for squirrels.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by n8dawg6
gentlemen ... while we are all amazed by DD's stunt shooting with the bb gun, I'm sure we can all agree that even the .22 mag is inadequate for killin schit.

case in point, could a .22 mag do this?

[Linked Image]

I don't think so. Obviously, a .22 hornet is the bare minimum, and that only for field-mice sized critters.

"Use enough gun!"

[Linked Image]

Tut tut, that ain't stunt shooting and it ain't a BB gun. This is a BB gun:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

When I post a pic of this one layin' on a dead hog you can call that stunt shootin' with a BB gun. laugh

I am..........disturbed.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
PS: that can looks like it's screamin'! How'd you do that?

I am..........disturbed.

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
..and who pray tell made that very interesting rifle?

It appears that one has to place the lead ball on the case prior to loading???

Bob

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Paul Neubrand from sometime back in the '20s as far as I can determine. You are correct in how it's loaded. Nominal groove is .177 and it uses a 4mm blank case to move the lead ball around 800 fps. 7" twist, 12 grooves. Diopter sight, 10#3oz and it shoots very, very well. The barrel in the following pic is a 'false barrel", the actual shooting barrel is about 8.5" long.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Falling block action but the forward trigger actually cocks the action and the rear fires it with scarcely a thought.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v298/muddler/Guns/Zimmer/IMG_3158_zps3a5f80ee.jpg[/img]

I am..........disturbed.

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
DD, that is one helluva BB gun! I'm just givin you chit about the headshooting with those "C"B caps ... I've been known to headshoot the critters with a .22 myself. I'd post my latest bobcat again, but I think everyone has seen it.

As for that trophy beer can, the hunt went as follows. First, I drank the beer. Then, I filled the can up with water and set it out about 50-60 yds. then, taking Mr. Ruark's dire instructions to heart, I selected a cartridge appropriate to the task: .22 hornet stoked with a 40 g sierra. then I worked into an uncomfortable but somewhat steady sitting position, got my breathing under control, and blew the chit outta the can laugh

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I knew that. Ingwe accuses me of stunt shooting now and then so I'm used to that stuff.

Knew a fella from high school that shot a can once. Was a 2# can of pork and beans he balanced on the Cutts Compensator at the end of his Sears 12 bore. Nobody got hurt but there were beans and shrapnel on every tent and car at the campsite. He never did find the Cutts.

I am..........disturbed.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I swear if I needed atomic fuses to complete my thermonuclear device you would have them. Nice.

Just re-enforces the concept that there is nothing new. Its all been tried before.

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
I knew that. Ingwe accuses me of stunt shooting now and then so I'm used to that stuff.

Knew a fella from high school that shot a can once. Was a 2# can of pork and beans he balanced on the Cutts Compensator at the end of his Sears 12 bore. Nobody got hurt but there were beans and shrapnel on every tent and car at the campsite. He never did find the Cutts.

well, you done story-topped me. I must say though, it didn't bring many tears to my eyes hearing about a Cutts exploding. it's a shame they couldn't all suffer a similar fate.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Allen917,

I always find statements like this interesting. No doubt the .22 Hornet is more cartridge than the .22 Magnum, but with even the cheapest jacketed bullets (right now around $14 per 100) it costs just about as much to handload the Hornet as buy .22 Magnum for $10 a 50-round box--and in normal times that's what it can be found for.

Then there's the time spent handloading. If you discount that, whether because you're retired or just like to do it, then you break even. If not, the .22 Magnum is cheaper to shoot--and it comes in rifles the Hornet doesn't, whether "affordable" bolt actions or levers, pumps and semi-autos.

I'm a big fan of the Hornet, but still find plenty of uses for a .22 Magnum.

John, you need to shop around a bit more grin . You can buy Midsouth 34gr. HPs (Varmint Nightmare Extremes) for just over $41/500, even in today's market. I use them a LOT, and they shoot great in my little CZ Hornet. They're certainly no longrange bullet, but more than adequate for plinking and midrange rat-whackery.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by CrowRifle
I swear if I needed atomic fuses to complete my thermonuclear device you would have them. Nice.

Just re-enforces the concept that there is nothing new. Its all been tried before.

Precious little new under the sun for a fact. The diopter is not of high power but it....zooms. Not bad for near 100 years old, hey?

You want FedEx or UPS?

[Linked Image]

I am..........disturbed.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
it didn't bring many tears to my eyes hearing about a Cutts exploding.

Haters gonna hate...

Never used a Cutts, thought they looked goofy even when I was a young sprout.

Truth of it was, at least at my acquaintance thought, the Cutts didn't explode. Just stripped the threads and went...somewhere. All of it. I still smile when I think about the expression on his face as described by his camp mates. One of those Come-to-Jesus moments apparently.

I am..........disturbed.

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
sounds like he "improved" the shotgun laugh

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Yep. But he made a mess out of the beans.

I am..........disturbed.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Did "Bad Conduct Discharge" give up the thread?

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Well I fed the troll to start......... Swampy back again LOL

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I been missing him.

Up 3, right 7. Danged wind.

I am..........disturbed.

byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Look closer bfd...unless I'm mistaken the 22 WMR has the same ballistics as the 9mm

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

B
bcd Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Goats really smell!> remember a crazy hunt in the woods, could smell something real bad!. as we came closer some one has these Goat Rams penned up !

B
bcd Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
And if hes a Goat He smells BAD!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
That all you got? Really?

I am..........disturbed.

B
bcd Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
In biology, detritus is non-living particulate organic material (as opposed to dissolved organic material). It typically includes the bodies or fragments of dead organisms as well as fecal material

B
bcd Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
EnjoY!

B
bcd Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
and at the bottom of my toilet bowl! and thats a Double> Enjoy!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
bcdetritus....

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
That anything like an epic colorectal fail?

I am..........disturbed.

B
bcd Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
bcdetritus....
Boy that took a lot of Brain Cells!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
[Linked Image]

I am..........disturbed.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
You looked fabulous when you were younger! Almost good enough to be a movie star.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Steve, you talkin' to me?

grin

I am..........disturbed.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Absolutely, you looked like a young what's his name... smile That guy. The actor guy. The one with the face. He was in movies. I think that's the guy. I talked to him once. At least, I think I was talking to him.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
That's a fact!

Pretty sure anyway.

I am..........disturbed.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by bcd
I Just bought one but I read a lot of forums and there is a lot of hatred towards it??? They say its way to expensive to plink and not much better and a fish out of water and then they turn around and luv the .17> luv>luv>Luv it { isnt it very expensive to shoot and a fish out of water} very strange!
HOW IN THE HELL do you get 413 posts since 5/25/13?Nothing better to do I guess?How about shooting that 22 mag.instead of bullshiting on the computer?

B
bcd Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
O My!!!

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by bcd
O My!!!
OH my is correct.Keep them posts coming troll dipshit. crazy

B
bcd Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
your on report!

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by bcd
your on report!
I am scared to death eek

B
bcd Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Enjoy!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
foad

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Late to the party and hate to break up the troll bashing........

On the front of .22m rifles you probably couldn't call me a hater but could put me firmly in the camp of dislike. I've tried 3 over the years and this is what I've found:

The extra range over the .22lr falls into 2 arenas .... either it's not needed or it's not enough. The exact same thing could be said about any increase in thump. There have been plenty of times I've had .22lr in my hands and wished it was a centerfire but in none of those cases would a .22M made a spit of difference.

Hyper .22lrs ARE available with 40gr pills and they closed the gap considerably.

The .22m IS NOT equal to a 9mm on any front.

IMO the only niches the .22m fills are for fox/bobcat callers and for those required by law to use a rimfire. Even then the added cost of another gun and more expensive ammo leans me back towards the .22lr shooting hypers.

Now if you want to start talking .22m handguns then you can plant me firmly in the HATER group. Honest to god waste of steel they are.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Would you swear off women if you experienced three failures?

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Would you swear off women if you experienced three failures?

nah ... not after 20-30 failures either ...

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
IMO the only niches the .22m fills are for fox/bobcat callers and for those required by law to use a rimfire. Even then the added cost of another gun and more expensive ammo leans me back towards the .22lr shooting hypers.

Thinking a cartridge labeled "niche" says more about the mindset of the user than the cartridge.

Don't use the WMR much, but that's by choice not need. The cartridge is perfectly capable of dispatching virtually all game animals in NA when properly applied, regardless of legality.

I am..........disturbed.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I have read part, not all of the thread. Just thought 2 more cents worth would not hurt a thing. I have a 17hmr and a 22 mag. Both are extrememly accurate. Here's my take, In the woods or in the wind, 22 mag ALL THE WAY! Ok maybe that was 3 cents worth.

For we preach not ourselves, but Christ Jesus the Lord, and ourselves your servants for Jesus sake. 2 Corinthians 4:5
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by rick1977
I have read part, not all of the thread. Just thought 2 more cents worth would not hurt a thing. I have a 17hmr and a 22 mag. Both are extrememly accurate. Here's my take, In the woods or in the wind, 22 mag ALL THE WAY! Ok maybe that was 3 cents worth.

And I have a three-barrelled CZ 455 set, and the .22 mag barrel shoots like schit, while the HMR pipe is pretty good. It proves not a doggoned thing. Samples of one are worthless.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It proves you'll save money on WMR ammo! smile

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by avagadro
It proves you'll save money on WMR ammo! smile

Yeah, I will do that laugh. If it doesn't come around by the time I've shot up this ammo (all kinds of stuff, I bought it before the craziness started), and start shooting well, the .22 Mag barrel is going to be sold down the river. That'll save me all kinds of money, by not replacing it!

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Have owned and still own several 22 mag pistols, and think they're great! Latest a Taurus 8 shot double action with 5" barrel. Very accurate with CCI's and think would make a fine self defense gun, much better than 22lr.

Last edited by minnmarcus; 07/25/13.
B
bcd Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Just got my 22 mag brno, and they send you open sight shot test at 50 yards!> cover it with a dime>HELL YA!>ENJOY!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Did they dust all the powder residue off the target?

I am..........disturbed.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Thinking a cartridge labeled "niche" says more about the mindset of the user than the cartridge.

Don't use the WMR much, but that's by choice not need. The cartridge is perfectly capable of dispatching virtually all game animals in NA when properly applied, regardless of legality.

Say's you brother Dan! And you know what you are right, it does come from mindset. The mindset of a user who has tried multiple times and found that it's is ONLY niche it fills well, or better than others. It get's topped 10 ways from Sunday for everything, by everything, including many times the .22lr. And yes it will dispatch all animals, kinda beside the point. It won't kill them all WELL or IN VARYING CIRCUMSTANCES like other cartridges will. And the exact same thing can be said for the .22lr.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Correct

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by L_Killkenny

Say's you brother Dan! And you know what you are right, it does come from mindset. The mindset of a user who has tried multiple times and found that it's is ONLY niche it fills well, or better than others. It get's topped 10 ways from Sunday for everything, by everything, including many times the .22lr. And yes it will dispatch all animals, kinda beside the point. It won't kill them all WELL or IN VARYING CIRCUMSTANCES like other cartridges will. And the exact same thing can be said for the .22lr.

If there's a point in there I missed it. Is something "killed well" extra special dead?

Guess my point missed too. It's the shooter that matters, not the cartridge.

I am..........disturbed.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
The .22 Mag. is a helluvalot more effective than ANY.22 LR {including hypers}, particularly on bigger varmints like chucks, coon, fox and anyone who says different is talking out their azz. It will put big NorthEastern chucks down dependably at 125 yds. with chest cavity shots and the .22 LR won't at half that distance.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

If there's a point in there I missed it. Is something "killed well" extra special dead?

Guess my point missed too. It's the shooter that matters, not the cartridge.

You're chasing you're own tail DD. .22m thread and if dead is all you're after than a .22m has ZERO benefits over the .22lr or the .22short for that matter. Contrary to misguided beliefs cartridge does matter.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Never thought much about the 22 mag, but now knowing you like it, I now I hate it...

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
....if dead is all you're after....

Anyone here go outside with the intent of only wounding their game except this guy?

Let's see, 2000+ fps for the mag compared to about 1200 fps for the LR. About a 60 percent increase in muzzle velocity.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Anyone here go outside with the intent of only wounding their game except this guy?

Let's see, 2000+ fps for the mag compared to about 1200 fps for the LR. About a 60 percent increase in muzzle velocity.

Someone is not only livin in the dark ages of rimfire ammo but is having a bad reading comprehension day to boot.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B

Someone is not only livin in the dark ages of rimfire ammo but is having a bad reading comprehension day to boot.
It ain't me. I started killin' stuff with hyper .22LR's and .22 mags back in the 70's. I've killed several thousand chucks,coons and foxes since and the hyper velocity LR does not compare favorably with the mag. either in the field or on paper. I just chrono'd CCI Maxi-mag HP's and Remington premiere 33 gr V-Max out of my Marlin 882 a few weeks ago. The 40 gr. Maxi's averaged 1930 fps for 5 shots and the Rem's averaged 2120. In comparison the last batch of CCI stingers I clocked [last summer} averaged 1585 out of my Marlin 15N. The best of the hypers for bigger varmints at longer ranges today is the CCI Velocitor and it's 40 gr. bullets at 1435 fps are still eating the WMR's dust by a long ways.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by bcd

While I can't find much hate for it...
I like the .22 WMR because;
-It can use a wider range of bullet weights and bullet designs than other rim fires. With loads that will expand from pistols,
ones that easily penetrate skulls, etc. on cattle and similar size animals, varmint loads that make ground squirrels "melt". WRF cartridges and solids for edible game, ACE adapters allow using .22LR and below loads in the same arm and revolvers are available with extra cylinders to allow the same.
-It's rim fire shot cartridges are more effective than the .22LR's.
-It works better on rabbits and larger game up to and beyond coyote than other rim fires.

If I go plinking or sage rat shooting I usually take a .22LR.
I like the challenge of adjusting for the bullet drop and wind sensitivity.

If I go hunting or woods bumming with a rim fire it is usually a .22 WMR. They kill like I always wanted to have a .22LR do.

Pistols can even be loaded with rounds designed for self defense.

Some earlier, well experienced folks recommended them for hideout guns and shooting treed animals.

I figure some folks need to hate stuff to imagine what they have or their choice is superior or makes them feel superior.

I really like to feel that my tools are sufficient to the tasks as that gives me more confidence. My skills are more important to me than the tools though.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Dancing Bear
They kill like I always wanted to have a .22LR do.
I've long felt the same.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Dancing Bear
Originally Posted by bcd

While I can't find much hate for it...
I like the .22 WMR because;
-It can use a wider range of bullet weights and bullet designs than other rim fires. With loads that will expand from pistols,
ones that easily penetrate skulls, etc. on cattle and similar size animals, varmint loads that make ground squirrels "melt". WRF cartridges and solids for edible game, ACE adapters allow using .22LR and below loads in the same arm and revolvers are available with extra cylinders to allow the same.
-It's rim fire shot cartridges are more effective than the .22LR's.
-It works better on rabbits and larger game up to and beyond coyote than other rim fires.

If I go plinking or sage rat shooting I usually take a .22LR.
I like the challenge of adjusting for the bullet drop and wind sensitivity.

If I go hunting or woods bumming with a rim fire it is usually a .22 WMR. They kill like I always wanted to have a .22LR do.

Pistols can even be loaded with rounds designed for self defense.

Some earlier, well experienced folks recommended them for hideout guns and shooting treed animals.

I figure some folks need to hate stuff to imagine what they have or their choice is superior or makes them feel superior.

I really like to feel that my tools are sufficient to the tasks as that gives me more confidence. My skills are more important to me than the tools though.

You just gave every reason I shoot 22 mag in a rifle. Great post.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Contrary to misguided beliefs cartridge does matter.

Only if one finds it necessary to defend a personal choice.

However, I would lend credence to the expressed thought by noting a shotgun might address shortcomings of the visually impaired and impetuous.

I am..........disturbed.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Had quite a few 22 lr over the years. Love em. Just recently picked up an Savage Anshutz model 164M 22mag.. LOVE it. Done give a hoot what the guy next to me at the range or the field thinks. This feller seriously shoots, after finding what it likes to digest. wink

"Its easier to fool people......Than convince them that they have been fooled." Mark Twain
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I have been a .22 mag fan since 1962. That load has put a lot of small game and vermin to rest since it came out.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn

I feel the same way. There are no laws restricting centerfires where I live so I go to one of my Hornets if a .22 LR is not enough. I don't hate the .22 Mag, I just never saw any application for it. I have a .22 Mag cylinder for my single six that I never shot for nearly 20 years. Just in the past year did I try it out. It shot fine but I have no niche that I would need a .22 Mag for.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by saleen322

I feel the same way. There are no laws restricting centerfires where I live so I go to one of my Hornets if a .22 LR is not enough. I don't hate the .22 Mag, I just never saw any application for it. I have a .22 Mag cylinder for my single six that I never shot for nearly 20 years. Just in the past year did I try it out. It shot fine but I have no niche that I would need a .22 Mag for.
Well that's all fine and dandy except that loading a box of .22 Hornets is about as entertaining as watching paint dry and there are some of us that would rather just buy a box of .22 mags. and go kill schit.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
& the vast majority of shooters don't reload. Most hornet ammo exceeds the cost of .223 ammo

George
Associate Gypsy

Originally Posted by GOD
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Not to mention the .22 mag. and .223 are both WAYYYY more popular than the .22 Hornet. I reckon the public has spoken on the Hornet issue.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We all know most of the public is composed of idiots

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Perhaps ... But they're the idiots with the majority of the cash!

Don't get me wrong, I love my hornet but now that a .223 bolt gun came home to roost, the hornet don't get much love.

George
Associate Gypsy

Originally Posted by GOD
B
bcd Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Wow Its Back> Ava> is just as stupid as ever!

B
bcd Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
They seem to hate the 22 mag> I just bought a cz 22 mag cz 452> Long Live the 22MAG!

B
bcd Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
This thing about the 17 is having problems with the 22mag> You get it!

B
bcd Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
The 22 mag has to go then the 17 has a nitch.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Just because I can.... LOL

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A long time ago I had a Marlin 782 22WMR with a 6X scope that would easily shoot 1" out to 100. Any woodchucks inside 150 were doomed. Wish I still had it.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by avagadro
Perhaps ... But they're the idiots with the majority of the cash!

Don't get me wrong, I love my hornet but now that a .223 bolt gun came home to roost, the hornet don't get much love.
I never owned a Hornet myself but my brother has had one since we were teenagers and I've hunted with him enough to know it's capabilities very well. I do have a very accurate .22 mag. and .223 and don't have even the slightest use or desire for a Hornet.

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
I have all three.. .22 mag. .22 Hornet and 223.. the mag. and .223 do make the Hornet less appealing, I doubt I sell my old Hornet, or the other two for that matter.. I enjoy shooting each one.. The .22 mag. is fun and handi because one doesn't have to reload, and that is a nice feature..

Molon Labe
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I love 22mags! I love 22 lr and I'm sure I would love the 17. I have never shot one but its a rimfire so its gotta be fun. FOOD FOR THOUGHT, if horady loaded the 22mag with a 22 grain bullet would the 17 guys like the 22 mag? I mean if if a 17 can be loaded with 17 grains then by proportion they should be able to load 22 mag with a 22 grain bullet. I'm sure it would make the 22 mag more popular. I love it cause it is imho a more versatile load.

In tennessee the 22 mag has probably taken as many deer as the 30 30. Redneck poachers pick the 22 mag over any other caliber. They shoot them behind the ear, white trash at its finest.

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
T
T
They hate the .22mag but they love the .22wmr wink

I love my CZ 452 in 22 mag, it does pretty darn good!!!

z1r Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Honestly, I never met a 22 Mag I didn't like.

My Single Six is easy to bust clay pigeons with at 75 yds. My rechambered Romanian trainer will do teh same at 100 with open sights.

I have a cz scout that I will be rechambering to .22 Mag. Will make a great back packing rifle.

I'm hoping my new Ruger American will shoot as well.

B
bcd Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Just Got a 22 mag CZ 452>New !

B
bcd Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Now have to buld up some ammo!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I am not one of the haters....in fact I loooooove the 22 mag. Shot 22lr most of life but the 22mag just stones things its intended for.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
17 HMR is more accurate, has a longer effective range and is more explosive on impact than a 22 MAG. It is the perfect cartridge for small to medium varmint elimination. 22 MAG is better for stuff that you want to eat. I think 22 MAG is better for revolvers if you shoot 50 grain bullets.

[Linked Image from ]
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
A little late to the party but I own a 22 mag. Winchester Lever and it's plenty accurate. It works better for shooting stuff that bigger than a groundhog. It's a little more expensive but I don't plink with it. It's for hunting. I agree the .22lr is better and cheaper for a day of fun shooting. The mag. is my choice for a survival rifle and I have a Ruger Single Six with the mag. cyliner as well.

Enough power and compact enough to carry many rounds. I love a .22 mag.

B
bcd Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Been reading the 17 is just a faD and will fade and the 22 mag will still be going strong!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
DNFTT. smile

George
Associate Gypsy

Originally Posted by GOD
P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
Have both the 17 and the old standby 22 mag. The mag shoots very good and doesn't tear up and make small game nonedible as much as the 17. Like em both though, each has its place amongst my rim fires. My 22 mag is a lot nicer looking than my 17 and both are CZs.

Retired Wisconsin Conservation Warden Life Member VFW and NRA.
P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
Have both the 17 and the old standby 22 mag. The mag shoots very good and doesn't tear up and make small game nonedible as much as the 17. Like em both though, each has its place amongst my rim fires. My 22 mag is a lot nicer looking than my 17 and both are CZs.

Retired Wisconsin Conservation Warden Life Member VFW and NRA.
C
cdb Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Killkenny since you hate .22 mag in handguns so much please don't hurt my 78 year old mother if you ever meet her. She carries a .22 mag revolver for CC because the recoil of larger calibers hurt her old wrist.

I have nothing against .17 calibers but they don't appeal to me. I know they are great. I was born in 1959 and growing up in the 60's the .22 WMR was the cats meow with all my friends. The wealthier kids had them but I was stuck with an old single shot .22 LR that was very heavy and very accurate.

To say I have always wanted a .22 Mag is an understatement. I finally bought a CZ 512 .22 WMR last year at the age of 53. I put a Clearidge rimfire scope on it and had the trigger worked on. I wouldn't get rid of it for anything. It shoots MOA at 100 yards unless the wind is blowing hard.

I live in the middle of 788 acres but there are houses totally surrounding me and I feel more comfortable using my. .22 mag on coyotes than my AR or my .243 b/c of the houses. Out at the ranch I use my .243 with .58 grain VMaxes because they will reach out and touch someone and there are no houses around. I also have a model 60 with a aftermarket trigger that is very accurate that is used for squirrel and rabbit. I use the .22 mag at the ranch for coons and badgers.

I could care less what anyone thinks about the .22 WMR. Iike it for nostalgic reasons and for the hunting uses I use it for. I doubt I will ever own a .17hmr, not because they aren't great rifles but because my other rimfires suit the purpose I need them for. I will never bash the .17's and in my opinion the people that bash the .22 mag are the kind of people that bash the .270 and insist that the .270 WSM makes the .270 obsolete.

Don't roll those bloodshot eyes at me.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
I have a 22 wrm in an Anschutz 1720 sporter. It's quite accurate but I sure don't shoot it much.
It has been used on PDs quite successfully a couple of times.
Had two Ruger 77/22 mags. Both were very poor in the accuracy department.

NRA Patron
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

565 members (1badf350, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 1lesfox, 10gaugeman, 50 invisible), 2,608 guests, and 1,348 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,291
Posts18,525,732
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.