Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Would you swear off women if you experienced three failures?

GB1

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Would you swear off women if you experienced three failures?

nah ... not after 20-30 failures either ...

Uber Demanding Rifle Aficionado
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
IMO the only niches the .22m fills are for fox/bobcat callers and for those required by law to use a rimfire. Even then the added cost of another gun and more expensive ammo leans me back towards the .22lr shooting hypers.

Thinking a cartridge labeled "niche" says more about the mindset of the user than the cartridge.

Don't use the WMR much, but that's by choice not need. The cartridge is perfectly capable of dispatching virtually all game animals in NA when properly applied, regardless of legality.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I have read part, not all of the thread. Just thought 2 more cents worth would not hurt a thing. I have a 17hmr and a 22 mag. Both are extrememly accurate. Here's my take, In the woods or in the wind, 22 mag ALL THE WAY! Ok maybe that was 3 cents worth.

For we preach not ourselves, but Christ Jesus the Lord, and ourselves your servants for Jesus sake. 2 Corinthians 4:5
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by rick1977
I have read part, not all of the thread. Just thought 2 more cents worth would not hurt a thing. I have a 17hmr and a 22 mag. Both are extrememly accurate. Here's my take, In the woods or in the wind, 22 mag ALL THE WAY! Ok maybe that was 3 cents worth.

And I have a three-barrelled CZ 455 set, and the .22 mag barrel shoots like schit, while the HMR pipe is pretty good. It proves not a doggoned thing. Samples of one are worthless.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It proves you'll save money on WMR ammo! smile

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by avagadro
It proves you'll save money on WMR ammo! smile

Yeah, I will do that laugh. If it doesn't come around by the time I've shot up this ammo (all kinds of stuff, I bought it before the craziness started), and start shooting well, the .22 Mag barrel is going to be sold down the river. That'll save me all kinds of money, by not replacing it!

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Have owned and still own several 22 mag pistols, and think they're great! Latest a Taurus 8 shot double action with 5" barrel. Very accurate with CCI's and think would make a fine self defense gun, much better than 22lr.

Last edited by minnmarcus; 07/25/13.
B
bcd Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Just got my 22 mag brno, and they send you open sight shot test at 50 yards!> cover it with a dime>HELL YA!>ENJOY!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Did they dust all the powder residue off the target?

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
IMO the only niches the .22m fills are for fox/bobcat callers and for those required by law to use a rimfire. Even then the added cost of another gun and more expensive ammo leans me back towards the .22lr shooting hypers.

Thinking a cartridge labeled "niche" says more about the mindset of the user than the cartridge.

Don't use the WMR much, but that's by choice not need. The cartridge is perfectly capable of dispatching virtually all game animals in NA when properly applied, regardless of legality.

Say's you brother Dan! And you know what you are right, it does come from mindset. The mindset of a user who has tried multiple times and found that it's is ONLY niche it fills well, or better than others. It get's topped 10 ways from Sunday for everything, by everything, including many times the .22lr. And yes it will dispatch all animals, kinda beside the point. It won't kill them all WELL or IN VARYING CIRCUMSTANCES like other cartridges will. And the exact same thing can be said for the .22lr.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Correct

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by L_Killkenny

Say's you brother Dan! And you know what you are right, it does come from mindset. The mindset of a user who has tried multiple times and found that it's is ONLY niche it fills well, or better than others. It get's topped 10 ways from Sunday for everything, by everything, including many times the .22lr. And yes it will dispatch all animals, kinda beside the point. It won't kill them all WELL or IN VARYING CIRCUMSTANCES like other cartridges will. And the exact same thing can be said for the .22lr.

If there's a point in there I missed it. Is something "killed well" extra special dead?

Guess my point missed too. It's the shooter that matters, not the cartridge.

I am..........disturbed.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
The .22 Mag. is a helluvalot more effective than ANY.22 LR {including hypers}, particularly on bigger varmints like chucks, coon, fox and anyone who says different is talking out their azz. It will put big NorthEastern chucks down dependably at 125 yds. with chest cavity shots and the .22 LR won't at half that distance.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

If there's a point in there I missed it. Is something "killed well" extra special dead?

Guess my point missed too. It's the shooter that matters, not the cartridge.

You're chasing you're own tail DD. .22m thread and if dead is all you're after than a .22m has ZERO benefits over the .22lr or the .22short for that matter. Contrary to misguided beliefs cartridge does matter.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Never thought much about the 22 mag, but now knowing you like it, I now I hate it...

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
....if dead is all you're after....

Anyone here go outside with the intent of only wounding their game except this guy?

Let's see, 2000+ fps for the mag compared to about 1200 fps for the LR. About a 60 percent increase in muzzle velocity.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by CrowRifle

Anyone here go outside with the intent of only wounding their game except this guy?

Let's see, 2000+ fps for the mag compared to about 1200 fps for the LR. About a 60 percent increase in muzzle velocity.

Someone is not only livin in the dark ages of rimfire ammo but is having a bad reading comprehension day to boot.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by CrowRifle

Someone is not only livin in the dark ages of rimfire ammo but is having a bad reading comprehension day to boot.
It ain't me. I started killin' stuff with hyper .22LR's and .22 mags back in the 70's. I've killed several thousand chucks,coons and foxes since and the hyper velocity LR does not compare favorably with the mag. either in the field or on paper. I just chrono'd CCI Maxi-mag HP's and Remington premiere 33 gr V-Max out of my Marlin 882 a few weeks ago. The 40 gr. Maxi's averaged 1930 fps for 5 shots and the Rem's averaged 2120. In comparison the last batch of CCI stingers I clocked [last summer} averaged 1585 out of my Marlin 15N. The best of the hypers for bigger varmints at longer ranges today is the CCI Velocitor and it's 40 gr. bullets at 1435 fps are still eating the WMR's dust by a long ways.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by bcd
I Just bought one but I read a lot of forums and there is a lot of hatred towards it??? They say its way to expensive to plink and not much better and a fish out of water and then they turn around and luv the .17> luv>luv>Luv it { isnt it very expensive to shoot and a fish out of water} very strange!

While I can't find much hate for it...
I like the .22 WMR because;
-It can use a wider range of bullet weights and bullet designs than other rim fires. With loads that will expand from pistols,
ones that easily penetrate skulls, etc. on cattle and similar size animals, varmint loads that make ground squirrels "melt". WRF cartridges and solids for edible game, ACE adapters allow using .22LR and below loads in the same arm and revolvers are available with extra cylinders to allow the same.
-It's rim fire shot cartridges are more effective than the .22LR's.
-It works better on rabbits and larger game up to and beyond coyote than other rim fires.

If I go plinking or sage rat shooting I usually take a .22LR.
I like the challenge of adjusting for the bullet drop and wind sensitivity.

If I go hunting or woods bumming with a rim fire it is usually a .22 WMR. They kill like I always wanted to have a .22LR do.

Pistols can even be loaded with rounds designed for self defense.

Some earlier, well experienced folks recommended them for hideout guns and shooting treed animals.

I figure some folks need to hate stuff to imagine what they have or their choice is superior or makes them feel superior.

I really like to feel that my tools are sufficient to the tasks as that gives me more confidence. My skills are more important to me than the tools though.

Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

503 members (12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 50 invisible), 2,287 guests, and 1,157 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,510
Posts18,490,768
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.