Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Hunted Kuiu Island with guide Eli Lucas May 15th for a week on his 50 ft boat, Emydon. This is my 3rd hunt with Eli; took a 6'6" square blackie in 2009; other hunter took a 7'2" bear the next day. This year the 2nd hunter took a 6'7" bear about noon the 2nd day. 180 laser ranged shot right on the shoulder. We had pulled in a smaller bay to check it out when the bear was spotted on the beach. Eli anchored while the assistant guide took his hunter in the skiff to set up the stalk. We were about 2/3 mile out, but could watch the stalk set up, the shot and bang flop. I took a superb 6'9" bear (I was holding one end of the tape) that evening; perfect hide. Huge head. Lased 170 yd shot with my .338 entered about 8 ribs back & exited just behind off side armpit. Good double lung shot with quick kill. Spent rest of hunt fishing for Halibut, Rock Fish, & Dolly Varden. Wish I could figure out how to post the good pix I got from the hunt/Chaz

GB1

Outstanding! Congratulations on an excellent and very large Black Bear Bear. I am hoping to go to Alaska and hunt them in the next few years. I'll be sure and check out Eli's hunts.

Paul

C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Paul/ thank you. I have managed to upload 12 pix into photobucket, but cannot get any farther than that. Would really like to share, but I am sort of computer illiterate & cannot jump through the hoops very well/Chaz

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
You can email the pic and have someone post them.

PM inbound.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Thank you.....pix emailed; hope everyone enjoys them. What a great hunt; what a GREAT state/Chaz

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Can't wait for pictures.

I am incredibly jealous, having been on a very similar hunt myself grin

PM sent

The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment. � WARREN G. BENNIS
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by chazgreen
I took a superb 6'9" bear (I was holding one end of the tape) that evening; perfect hide.

I love that: "I was holding one end of the tape"!!!!

I'm also looking forward to the pics, congrats!

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Here are the pictures so far from Chaz.

Eli on Emydon
[Linked Image]

Emydon Sunset
[Linked Image]

Headed Back
[Linked Image]

No Trout
[Linked Image]

The story:

Flew into Petersburg and met Eli at this boat, Emydon the next AM & we were soon underway. Hunted one bay on Kuiu Island that PM & I spotted 5 bear. One stalk on a nice boar failed; wind change. Other hunter saw zip.

Moved down the coast the next AM and spotted a nice boar at the head of the bay about noon. Assistant guide, Ed Crane, got the other hunter into the skiff after Eli dropped the hook about 2/3 mile away. We got to watch the stalk and the kill from the big boat; what a thrill. Lased shot at 180 yards and perfect hit on the shoulder; bang flop.

Pulled out of this small bay & moved down the coast to a bay we had hunted in 2012; knew it held several big boar last year. Spotted & stalked a nice boar about 5PM, but he wasn't there when we slipped into where he should have been. Skiffed around to another nice spot with a good sedge grass flat an hour later & saw this big boy.

Did our usual 1/2 mile stalk; slipped up to a small rise, belly-crawled to the crest. Laser ranged at 170 yds, head down in the sedge grass as it slowly walked along. Neck looked long, head looked small on the body, ears far back on the skull, couldn't see a rub. It was walking just slightly away from us, presenting my prefered shot; double lung and chance to take out the off-shoulder. It was a quick, clean kill; just made it into the treeline.

Perfect hide and huge head. Ruger stainless .338 Win Mag, 225 gr handloads, 4-12 X Leupold. Of the two prior Alaskan brown bear kills and the prior black bear , this was my most memorable. What a wonderful state and what great folks that live there.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Congratulations, sounds/looks like you had a great time! Hoping for some more pictures too, the sunset pic is frame-worthy.

"The day I went to work everybody showed up to watch Johnny Luster work. Well, they had a wheelbarrow there, and said I was to push that thing around all day. I looked at it, then turned around and headed for the mountians..."
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Just some pigs there!

Great bears, and it looks to be a great experience. Taxidermy?

The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment. � WARREN G. BENNIS
C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
HI All/ hope nobody feels that my last photo was disrespectful of this fine bear. I had nothing to use as scale but my own hat to help others understand the proportions of this huge head/Chaz

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
I didn't assume any disrespect on your part.

It shows the pumpkin on the dude!

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Nice work on a great looking bear. Congratulations on what looks to have been a great hunt.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Congrats, great looking bears and awesome pics. The sunset on the water with boat is amazing.

Eric

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Chaz sent me the pic of his rug that he got back from this hunt a year ago. I'll post it soon.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
OK. Here is Chaz's rug from a year ago. I decided to post it in the hunt thread just to maintain continuity.

Congrats, Chaz!

[Linked Image]

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nice bear! And that sunset pic is superb. I don't know how I missed this thread last year. Congrats to you chaz!

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by AkMtnHntr
Nice bear! And that sunset pic is superb. I don't know how I missed this thread last year. Congrats to you chaz!

Same here ...

Very nice !

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Great pics! Sounds like an awesome trip. Congrats on some fine trophies! Thanks for sharing.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

539 members (1minute, 16penny, 1234, 10gaugeman, 153, 1OntarioJim, 54 invisible), 2,353 guests, and 1,245 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,534
Posts18,472,748
Members73,939
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.