W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by dla
Originally Posted by jwp475
Originally Posted by dla

This is excellent performance IMHO and this bullet is designed for very minimal expansion

Not really. It is just a 300gr version of the other XTPs. They expand quite nicely for me when driven fast enough. They aren't a going to expand much when launched from a 4" barrel though.

They penetrate well because�..they're 300grains smile

Hornady makes makes 2 versions of the XTP and the mag version is deigned to penetrate deep with very minimal expansion. The animals that were shot with them in the above video hit the ground at the shot. Yep I'd say that is excellent performance

The "mag" is only available at .452" - 45 colt, 454, 460, etc.

That's why I originally thought it was a .454, because the .44 bullet is not referred to by Hornady as the "Mag". The .45's are made in 2 versions but the .44 is made in only 1.

Last edited by wildhobbybobby; 06/22/13.

Life is like a purple antelope on a field of tuna fish...
GB1

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Can't tell much from Hornady's Website. The descriptions for all four of their 44 caliber XTP bullet weight's are the same. No doubt the 300 grain is a good bullet in the 44 for putting game down, not that I would have thought otherwise.

http://www.hornady.com/store/44-Cal-.430-300-gr-HP-XTP/

Details

44 Cal .430 300 gr HP XTP�
Features:

Controlled expansion to 1.5x its original diameter over a wide range of velocities.
Heavier jacket stands up to the high pressures and velocities of the highest performance handgun cartridges.

44 Cal .430 240 gr HP XTP�
Features:

Controlled expansion to 1.5x its original diameter over a wide range of velocities.
Heavier jacket stands up to the high pressures and velocities of the highest performance handgun cartridges

44 Cal .430 200 gr HP XTP�
Features:

Heavier jacket stands up to the high pressures and velocities of the highest performance handgun cartridges.

44 Cal .430 180 gr HP XTP�
Features:

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I plugged a smallish doe w/ a pretty conservative load from my Redhawk and it punched right through w/ minimal if any expansion.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth..._mag_300_XTP_on_smallish_sli#Post5627786

Not ideal for deer, but I found her so it wasn't "wrong" either!

That vid reminded me to pull her out and give her a workout!

Early in my handgun hunting career I shot a buck w/ a 240 XTP and a stout load of H-110 and he got away even in spite of a half day of tracking; my first lost deer ever. A real confidence-destroyer. Badly placed shot though.

I need to test them in gallon jugs of water just to see how they expand. Certainly need chrono testing is in order... To say nothing of FIELD testing! smile

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
I like Gold Dot's or Deep Curl's. They expand.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
J
jwp475 Online Sleepy OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by dla

This is excellent performance IMHO and this bullet is designed for very minimal expansion

Not really. It is just a 300gr version of the other XTPs. They expand quite nicely for me when driven fast enough. They aren't a going to expand much when launched from a 4" barrel though.

They penetrate well because�..they're 300grains smile

when original XTP expanded entire too much and penetration was dismal despite weighing 300 grains

44 Cal .430 300 gr HP XTP�

Details

Features:
Heavier jacket stands up to the high pressures and velocities of the highest performance handgun cartridges./quote]

[quote]45 Cal .452 300 gr XTP� Mag

Details

Features:

Hint

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
He seems to overwhelmingly prefer CNS shots into the head, neck and back. Clearly evident that a 44 magnum shooting 300XTP is up to that task.

Best smile

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
J
jwp475 Online Sleepy OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Looked to me more like high shoulder shots

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

633 members (1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 1lessdog, 72 invisible), 2,062 guests, and 1,314 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,898
Posts18,479,278
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.