Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
T
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
My passion is varmints. I understand that game with a fair amount of precision. I am a little foggy on the advantages and priorities of big game scopes.

If you get a fixed 6x scope for simplicity's sake; do you need parallax adjustments for uses out to 400 yards or so or is it that lower power fixed scopes the real world parallax problems are nill?

On a 3x9 same question.

I understand mildot hold offs and cranking in the windage MOA but for big game out to 400 yards if you get a simple scope without good cranky knobs what are most folks doing for windage corrections? You either have to crank in the windage or hold off with a reticle. What am I missing?

I am trying to resist the temptation of putting a varmint scope on my new 280 go-to big game rifle. Perhaps I am looking for an in between scope???

Need some advice. I think I read somewhere long ago that Steve Timm uses a loopie 2.5x10 on his big game 280AI

Last edited by Tomothy_Murphy; 06/24/13.

There is a time... to refrain from embracing
GB1

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Most scopes of 10x or under don't have enough parallax to worry about when big game hunting. In fact most of 'em work fine for varmint shooting.

But you should always test a new scope for parallax anyway. the most I've found in a 6x is about 2" at 400, which means a possible inch of aiming error--if you don't have your eye directly behind the center of the scope. But I have found considerably more in some 3-9x or 3-10x scopes, and they should all be tested.

With a 6x I generally hold off for windage, but do know some people who crank it in.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
T
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
Thanks very much for the reply.

What do you do to test them? Set up a calibrated grid pattern at 100 yds and move your head slightly side to side???

Leupold had that bicker with Premier Reticles and I kinda got sour on Leupold for a while; but in all reality from what little I know about optics it does seem that they have thought through a lot of hunting applications that other scope makers have not- like generous eye-box.

What is your favorite scope for a go-to big-game rig out to 400 yards or less? I might just get that 6x42 everybody here touts.

There is a time... to refrain from embracing
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I see some long range systems using a turret for elevation and reticle for windage.

DF

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Tomothy_Murphy,

No, I look through the scope at something 400 yards away, it's impossible to test for parallax at 400 yards by testing at 100.

Most big game scopes without parallax adjustment are set at the factory at 100-200 yards, but that will vary slightly when different people adjust the focus for themselves. Also, parallax isn't contant at any range, since it also varies slightly with atmospheric conditions. In effect, the air acts as another lens--the reason you might have to tweak the focus or parallax adjustment slightly on different days.

My favorite all-around scope for hunting out to 400 yards (or even farther) is the 6x36 Leupold, either the older M8 model or one of the new FX-2's. (In fact, I have them on most of my big game rifles in .25 to .30 caliber.) The 6x42's are also great scopes, and I have some, but the 6x36 only 10 ounces and is more than adequately bright, even the M8's. I realized that many years ago, when a new 6x36 proved much brighter than a Zeiss 6x32. (Theoretically this shouldn't have been true, because the Leupold was only single-coated, but another important factor in scope brightness is the reduction of reflection inside the scope, and Leupold is good at that.)

I've found it relatively easy to hold off for windage without hashmarks, using my knowledge of the subtension of the Duplex reticle.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B2

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I run a 6X42 on my GFY twins. The 7-08 (yellow) has the LR reticle and is primarily set up for deer hunting. My 22-250 has M1's on both elevation and windage. The 22-250 is a true "do all" setup. Fun shooting steel, gophers, prairie dogs, coyotes, deer hunting etc. Only disadvantage to the M1 setup is the windage knob hits my wrist a lot when carrying, and it tends to beat up the center console of my vehicle.

[Linked Image]

Hits to 400yds are no trick with either rig. They both work great.

If you go turrets for both, take a gander at the CDS. Little more low profile.

I am not a gunwriter, but the Bruins did lose.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I like the low profile CDS. I've read some reports of it moving with handling the gun. I've not experienced that. Maybe I handle my guns with more finesse, not sure why some are reporting that problem. I guess blue tape over the CDS would work for those guys and would look good in Fire photos. Gotta have blue tape over the muzzle and some wrapped around the end of the barrel to complete the photogenic "blue tape" experience... cool

DF

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I just got a scope back after having the CDS installed. Rifle should be here soon and I'm gonna give it a go.

Travis

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
CDS kinda small, not much room for a GFY sticker... smile

Don't forget the blue tape... laugh

DF

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Actually, on the new FX-3, 6X42's their finger tip knobs work perfectly fo about 15 MOA. CDS is fine for the guy that only shoots one load. E

IC B3

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
There is a "generic" CDS dial too.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Eremicus
Actually, on the new FX-3, 6X42's their finger tip knobs work perfectly fo about 15 MOA. CDS is fine for the guy that only shoots one load. E

Calibrated turrets are for chicks.

MOA all 'da way.

Travis

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by deflave

MOA all 'da way.

Travis

Does that include all of the "chicks" who get a SOCOM paycheck and shoot people in the face for a living?

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
E,

You can do the CDS in MOA's. You don't have to do the yardage thing with dedicated load. That's just an option.

DF

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee
Originally Posted by deflave

MOA all 'da way.

Travis

Does that include all of the "chicks" who get a SOCOM paycheck and shoot people in the face for a living?

Aren't those men limited w.r.t. ammunition selection? That would narrow things down a bit.

Even so, is the actual trajectory vs. dedicated turret marking a close match under all temperature/altitude/whatever conditions the operator encounters? Or is he often putting in something like "6 plus three clicks" or whatever the really used language is?

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by mathman

Or is he often putting in something like "6 plus three clicks" or whatever the really used language is?

That is exactly how it is done. They have these things called sniper schools where environmental factors are taught, and how to compensate for them.

Anything that reduces complexity for guys who have to stay up all night to observe, and remember what dope changes have to be made when the UNS and the can come off of the gun at BMNT, is an aid. It appears to be working just fine.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by mathman

Or is he often putting in something like "6 plus three clicks" or whatever the really used language is?

That is exactly how it is done. They have these things called sniper schools where environmental factors are taught, and how to compensate for them.

Anything that reduces complexity for guys who have to stay up all night to observe, and remember what dope changes have to be made when the UNS and the can come off of the gun at BMNT, is an aid. It appears to be working just fine.

Really?

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

I love "shooting" chicks in the face, but I'm not sure what your question means exactly. We're talking about big game rifles and scopes.

Travis

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Trav/Math et al. Be advised that when you accuse rifle shooters who employ load-specific range-engraved elevation turrets of being morons/unmanly/dupes etc, that you are talking about every US Army sniper for the last 25yr. USMC snipers I'm not sure how far back but quite awhile.

If you swear by MOA clicks then just drive on. Different strokes for different folks.

And Trav, I'm sure the Moms of all the "ladies" you've "shot" hold you in high esteem.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Trav/Math et al. Be advised that when you accuse rifle shooters who employ load-specific range-engraved elevation turrets of being morons/unmanly/dupes etc, that you are talking about every US Army sniper for the last 25yr. USMC snipers I'm not sure how far back but quite awhile.

If you swear by MOA clicks then just drive on. Different strokes for different folks.

And Trav, I'm sure the Moms of all the "ladies" you've "shot" hold you in high esteem.

Golly gee TAK. So sorry for my blatant lack of patriotism.

Travis

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

583 members (160user, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 57 invisible), 2,497 guests, and 1,429 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,944
Posts18,480,168
Members73,954
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.