Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Well Last hunting season I used a shorter a2a bow and a release and took a deer and shot 3d. I switched to a newer bow still with a short ata. I couldn't see a whole lot of gains and felt odd. I had a couple different releases fire early and finally had enough.I traded around and got a Mathews Conquest 2 and went back to fingers and it has been like coming home.The only difference was I traded off alluminum arrows for carbons. I have been shooting with they same crowd all along and now I do as good or beat them. So no more switching. Can't leave them at home and early fires have come to a halt.I was just curious how many over here shoot fingers with compounds?

"How vain it is to sit down to write when you have not stood up to live"
GB1

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I shoot fingers and release. Hoyt Vantage Ltd fingers bow and Hoyt Carbon Matrix release bow. For target archery I shoot the Vantage Ltd as my finger bow as well and a Hoyt Contender Elite for my release boy.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
If you can shoot as well as you want to with fingers, there is no reason not to. I shoot a critical bow better with a release.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Must be just my brain, but the less "stuff" I have to worry about the better.

Compound with sights, glove, wrist guard, release etc - I couldn't hit to save my ass.

recurve, fingers, a little moleskin rest and I do a whole lot better.

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
That will probably be my next evolution... back to where I started. I shot a compound many years fingers, with a nock on the string where my eye met as a back sight, got so I didn't need a glove or guard. Killed stuff fine.

Funny how the older we get the more we revert back to the vintage years.

Kent

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I shoot a longbow a lot more than my compound(s) and would go traditional only, but I still like the taste of meat. smile

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I tried to go back to fingers 2 winters ago but couldnt get the draw length I wanted out of my old PSE. About early summer I gave up and bought one of the new bows (short ATA & lightweight). I shot it OK, but never really felt comfortable with it. So...I went back to shooting the PSE with release and 2413's like I always had and got my deer ~15 yards.

Now Im back to playing with the short/light "new" bow. Its coming around with some tweaking. I also received a longbow as a christmas present last year, so use that when I get the fingers urge.

Stuck in airports, Terrorized
Sent to meetings, Hypnotized
Over-exposed, Commercialized
Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I was never able to shoot real good with fingers although I can see how it would be nice to not have to worry about a release. If you were having problems with "premature release LOL" you were either hitting the trigger, setting the trigger to light, or using cheap releases.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
That may be but they were tru ball and cobra and scott. Just seems more natural for me using fingers. Nice to know others have done it.

"How vain it is to sit down to write when you have not stood up to live"
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
For me, traditional screams fingers.

And compounds scream release. I know Chuck did fingers and can/could shoot 90 yards or so... I never got that good with fingers and was thinking more along the lines, a compound is modern, and we use peeps, slings, sights and so on, that says release blends best with it...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B3

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by ltppowell
If you can shoot as well as you want to with fingers, there is no reason not to. I shoot a critical bow better with a release.

Me too. I still love my Mathews Rival Pro with fingers though.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Ya can love a compound with fingers, but its never taking full advantage of it.

My train of thought, and granted I"m weird, is its akin to putting open sights on a 338 Lapua.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I get what you are trying to say,but disagree with you.

Because it is a harder discipline doesn't mean you aren't or can't get the advantages of the compound. One certainly still gets the reward of its speed, it's let off, or any other advantages.

The only loss of advantage is of the release aid and not the bow.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
That is very true.

And agreeing or disagreeing is no big deal(contrary to some)

My train of thought is if you are going to use something, then you use it to the best of its ability, not just utilize some of its positives, but not all of them.

Really it all boils down to preferences.

I shoot the traditional bows with carbons for a bit more speed, thats against the grain of many traditionalists.

I use a release and all kinds of other gadgets with my compounds just to be able to get the most out of them. Two very different directions.

In fact it doesn't make sense to me why either, because I don't shoot at deer beyond 15 steps anyway even wwith a compound. At least not our whitetails.

IMHO the letoff makes it much harder to get clean releases with fingers, than with more weight, but if you have that one covered its no big deal really.

The worst part about fingers for me, is being able to get a glove or tab that allows me to FEEL my precise anchor point.

Which is why when using fingers I rarely use anything other than the fingers. Figuring I need to shoot enough in practice anyway such that I"ll have callouses and deal with it anyway.

But then I don't shoot lots of weight like I did when I was younger and much more stupid about a lot of things.(can't believe I shot 96 pounds for a few years at whitetail... WTF was the purpose of that...)

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by rost495
That is very true.

My train of thought is if you are going to use something, then you use it to the best of its ability, not just utilize some of its positives, but not all of them.

You are utilizing all of its (the bows) positives shooting either fingers or release. The advantage you speak of is in the release not the bow.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

And Chuck Adams doesn't? I realize he is hardly typical of most of us. A bit like Miculek and a revolver.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Chuck is a great archery hunter. I doubt he would make it in the 100 best finger shooters out there.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I dont think theres anything goofy about compounds and fingers. The whole traditional bow vs. compound comes into play with shooting styles. Do you want to aim with sights or instinctively shoot. Then again Im gonna put some sights on a recurve someday to give it a whirl.

I remember when I got into bowhunting, the best archers in my area shot compounds with flipper rest, brass sight pins, and no peep. Their finger shooting technique was so good, they just anchored, looked around the string and shot.

Stuck in airports, Terrorized
Sent to meetings, Hypnotized
Over-exposed, Commercialized
Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Finger shooter here. Tried a couple of releases in years past but never really liked the feel of pulling a trigger to shoot a bow, traditional or compound.
My hunting friends all have went to releases but I just like the feel of shooting bows with the feel of my fingers on string. No sights here either.
Anymore I just like to be able to go hunting & see deer. Turn down does hoping for a nice buck to come by in my range. If I don't get a bow buck then it's nice to carry a firearm when that season starts. Then I'll take a nice doe when weather cools down for better hanging temps.
I shoot more deer(many times the same deer) with my homebrew trail cam that with bow & arrow or firearms now. I like getting great deer pic's, family also likes to see what I got on trailcam when I come back with pic's. Only way I can have family involved with hunting. And I can shoot them again next year sometimes.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter
That is very true.

You are utilizing all of its (the bows) positives shooting either fingers or release. The advantage you speak of is in the release not the bow.

That is true in a way, but if you arent' getting the best release with fingers, are you ever seeing the best accuracy the bow is capable of? Kind of a stalemate we are at.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

154 members (673, 2500HD, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 338reddog, 204guy, 1lessdog, 22 invisible), 1,790 guests, and 901 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,447
Posts18,507,899
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.