Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by weaselsRus
For the money Cabelas frame packs work well enough. I'm not a big fella, but have hauled a boned elk rear quarter and one of the backstraps in mine. You wanna make sure it's adjusted right for you.

Hauled a big bodied boned out muley with the head & cape in a Eberlestock Just One. Didn't have enough room to put an apple in when everything was loaded. 3/4 mile downhill just about did me in.

A small bone saw to cut the skull cap off would have made that load a bunch easier.

I agree. I have one of the lighter Cabelas frame packs, I think they call it the Extreme Outfitter or something similar. I have used it for several backpacking trips for sheep, elk, mule deer, moose, caribou, grizzly, etc. and it is a great pack for the money. The suspension fits me very well. It weighs about 7.8 pounds with the bag and is a good option for $300 or so.

I am trying out a Stone Glacier Solo this year. It seems to be promising and weighs about half as much as the Cabelas, but it costs twice as much too.

Chet

The first great thing is to find yourself and for that you need solitude and contemplation. I can tell you deliverance will not come from the rushing noisy centers of civilization. It will come from the lonely places. Fridtjof Nansen
GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by weaselsRus
For the money Cabelas frame packs work well enough. I'm not a big fella, but have hauled a boned elk rear quarter and one of the backstraps in mine. You wanna make sure it's adjusted right for you.

Hauled a big bodied boned out muley with the head & cape in a Eberlestock Just One. Didn't have enough room to put an apple in when everything was loaded. 3/4 mile downhill just about did me in.

A small bone saw to cut the skull cap off would have made that load a bunch easier.

+1. I own two of them. One I purchased out of the classifieds here complete with bag for $125.00 shipped, and the other off the local KSL adds for $80.00 complete with bag. I've taken the bags off and and lashed several feet of 550 cord to the frames. Well wroth the price of admission!

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by mtnsnake
Anyone make a pack system where the day is part of the main pack and can be taken apart once in camp?

Kelty Cache Hauler

with pack
http://www.kelty.com/p-56-cache-hauler-3400.aspx?category=backpacks

without pack
http://www.kelty.com/p-272-cache-hauler-frame-only.aspx?category=backpacks

B
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Been looking at the Cabelas packs. Also seen a Redhead 5000 that is fairly new. 5000 cu inch, plus hydration compatible, rain cover, weapons carry system, etc for $199. Found some USMC issue ILBE packs with internal frame for $100, capable of hauling 120lbs if need be. Guessing I'll be making a trip and actually looking at packs in person and trying them on.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Daveinjax
If you want a great load hauling pack you need to check out the Kifaru Bikini frame and duplex bags. Load hauling frame without noisy metal and super light. No one makes a better system than Kifaru imo. Bomb proof tough and backed by the best sevice available.

The Bikini Frame would by my pick, except I'd pair it with the Hill People Gear SM25 bag/compression kit/Tara Pocket. I've never used ANY pack that had a waistbelt that was even close to Kifaru's. The waist belt is what makes or breaks a load hauler.

IC B2

Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I just picked up a pack frame at bass pro. redhead enduro flex. It was on clearance for $49, then I also got a 10% military discount.

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
B
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Seen those on sale at Bass Pro. Kind of interested in an ILBE military park. Internal frame and $100

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Mystery Ranch NICE with a crew cab and 6500 will cover everything.

I use the CC for hunting and the first trip out.

Heres the CC with half a bone-in mule deer buck, head and cape:

[Linked Image]

I then switch out the CC for the 6500 for all return trips:

I packed the bone in front, bone in hind, backstrap and scrap meat from a 5 point bull, with ease in the 6500:

[Linked Image]

Boned desert ram, rifle, spotting scope, bino's, etc. etc. no match for the 6500.

[Linked Image]

Boned mule deer buck, head, cape, and all my back packing camp in the 6500...about all I care to hump out of the woods 4 miles in one trip:

[Linked Image]

I have also packed 2 bone in hinds from a raghorn bull in one trip, about one mile with the 6500. Too muchie and not a smart move on my part...but the pack will do it.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Buzz, i have seen pics of your elk, I want some the deer hero shots!

MR has two knocks on it, that have been discussed to death. Lack of load lifters on the NICE Frame and just plain heavy on most packs.

I have about 25 miles on my Metcalf, and really like it. The Load lifters are functional and do provide some lift, even on my tall body.

In all honesty though, if MR wants to stay competitive in the hunting market with companies like Kuiu, Stone Glacier, and Kifaru(and Paradox coming soon) innovating tough packs at a super light weight with functional shoulder lift then they need to find an improvement for the NICE frame. The Metcalf is a step in the right direction IMO.

I used Kifaru all last season, and will have some time with The SG Solo here really soon. All pricey, but good options IMO.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I agree with you on the load lifters on the crew cab. For the record, I just recently stopped by MR and Jeff gave myself and a work partner load lifters for the crew cab. That will make the crew cab better, IMO.

There isnt a problem with the 6500 for most people of average height in regard to load lifters.

I think the lightweight packs are a craze more than anything else. I dont find the MR packs to be a problem weight wise as they fit right, and carry well.

I also like the ability to switch back and forth between bags with the same frame.

Last edited by BuzzH; 06/26/13.
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Look at these.

Top quality

http://www.bullpacs.com/

When the tailgate drops the BS stops.
U
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
U
I have a lot of experience with Kifaru packs and fully recommend them for heavy packing. Very durable, great suspension.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

556 members (1234, 260Remguy, 1beaver_shooter, 219 Wasp, 25aught6, 12344mag, 62 invisible), 2,465 guests, and 1,245 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,941
Posts18,519,070
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.