Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
1B Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
the Ruger catalogue featured the #1 model in all its forms and most in multiple calibers and the #1 was placed right up front. The 2013 version lists very few and their placement is dead last. The death of a thousand cuts?

1B

GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Nope - the death of everyone who wants a #1 has one, and the need for a fighting rifle and ammunition to defend yourself and family.

Look at the sale of the new .22 LR chambered semi-auto Ruger rifles and 25 round magazines. Th elast time Ilooked the magazines were going for three or four times retail - if you could find them.

Buying every new "wonder rifle" is over. The gunh buyer today is asking a simple question: "What do I need that for?" Just putting another cool rifle on the rack is never going to be a compelling reason to buy again. The world is broke, and we are just the last folks to go bust. Reading the Greek newspspers and magazines in translation is interesting - and very different from what the "main stream" or even the "conservative" press presents. Even Glen Beck and O'reilley need to keep the audience coming back or their sponsors pull the plug.

Terry

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
Accuracy of the Number 1 might be the reason for its slow death.
I can't walk by one without picking it up. In the past 10 years, have owned and sold four of them all be cause of poor accuracy. And I won't ever own a fifth one.

NRA Patron
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have not found that to be the case. Mine are all sub 1" which is plenty good for a hunting rifle.

But then I don't shoot internet groups and minute of heart is just fine with me.

Praise the Lord for full Salvation
Christ Still lives upon the throne
And I know the blood still cleansess
Deeper than the sin has gone
Lester Roloff
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by medicman
I have not found that to be the case. Mine are all sub 1" which is plenty good for a hunting rifle.

But then I don't shoot internet groups and minute of heart is just fine with me.

That's funny right there. Just have 1 right now (stainless .35 Whelen) and it shoots great. At least minute of heart...

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have three #1s and that all shot dead nuts must be the shooter?

21 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
They are absolutely famous for being poor shooters----on the internet. I have to go now, I'm dating a french model.....

"Never force anything, just get a bigger hammer".
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've owned and shot a few, still have seven of them. Some were better than others, some needed tuning, but none could be called inaccurate. smirk

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by dale06
Accuracy of the Number 1 might be the reason for its slow death.
I can't walk by one without picking it up. In the past 10 years, have owned and sold four of them all be cause of poor accuracy. And I won't ever own a fifth one.
And another internet horseshit pontificator has now weighed in on a subject in which he knows a grand sum total of [bleep].

Your statement demonstrates both the strength and weakness of the internet. Good USEFUL information can be exchanged half a world away, while any dickhead can now have a voice when he would otherwise be told to SHUT THE F*CK UP.

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

Originally Posted by safariman
I do tend to fit in well wherever I go in person.

Originally Posted by Fireball2
The campfire is the most outside exposure I get. No TV, no newspaper.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
"Any jackass can kick down a barn, but it takes a good carpenter to build one." � Lyndon Johnson

Anybody see a barn kicker?

LOL
IC B3

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
I had a 1H .375 H&H and it shot itty bitty groups with 300 gr Sierra Boat tails and my daughters 1A .243 shoots cheap 100 gr Remington Core-Lokts and 95 gr Winchester Ballistic Silvertips into bug-hole groups

Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets
P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
One reason for a decline, if any, in #1 sales could possibly be from less expensive competition. H&R Handis for example; Rossi and others. I own fourteen CF Handis. That would translate to about four to six #1s dollar wise. My pistol calibers all stay within 1.5 MOA and the rest are less than that. My .45-70, .223, .243, .7mm-08. and .30-30 all shoot sub-MOA. The rest are all MOA or close to MOA.

No, they all didn't grow up that way. Some took a little tinkering, but you may have to do that with a Ruger also.

I guess the bottom line for me is I can get more bang for my buck with the same or better performance from a less expensive rifle. I don't own a Number One. Why would I when I can get equal performance from another rifle at a third the cost? I've been around a long time, and I have heard good and bad about the Ruger....but I have also heard the same about the Handi.

I have a Handi .243 Superlight that I recently put three bullets in each of six targets, that's 18 rounds, at 300 yards, all within 2.5 inches. That's with 72 year old eyes and shakes.

Ya know Bricktop, if the guy has honestly owned four of them and none would shoot, I would assume he's comparing them to other rifles he owns or has owned and is not blowing smoke. You've been around this site a long time and I'm a newcomer. I respect that. However, I think you owe the man an apology. I've been on the GBO H&R site for almost 6 years with 6268 posts. I have never seen anyone abused that way. If someone disagrees, they do it respectfully.

Pete

Last edited by petemi; 06/27/13.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Well, bricktop may be a bit uncivilized and at time a tad uncouth but he doe have a working knowledge of Ruger #1's and how to make them behave. Hat has to count for something and to be perfectly honest he and I have had our donnybrooks over the years. So what? I also have a good working knowlege of Rugre #1 rifle as I have 20 of them currently Only one was so bad that I have to sent it back to Ruger, an A model in 7x57 mauser. Two inch throats are not condusive to accuracy Ruger rebarreled the gun, no charge to me. Can't kick about that. I forget exactly what Ruger's guarantee of accuracy is but if memory serves it was something like 1.5 or 2.0" at 50 yards. Thankfully, most shoot a hell of a lot better than that or can usually be made to shoot better. Most of mine shoot much better. The problem with the earlier ones was the contract barrels Ruger was using. Erratic quality control.
I like my #1's and I hunt with them whenever possible. Currently, the private ranch I've been hunting elk on will not allow single shot rifles. I'd go elsehere but I've establish some raport with the outfitter that handles the hunts so I'll just be a good boy and take a repeater.
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
I'm not challenging Bricktop's knowledge, or anyone's for that matter. I just don't see any reason for his going off that way.

I had a Handi .22-250 that would not shoot...anything I fed it. I sent it back to H&R. They rebarreled it and sent home a tack driver....another sub-MOA at 300. All at no charge.

It's a funny thing about your outfitter. I own a bit of land. I'm much more inclined to allow a single shot hunter hunt here than I am an AR toter. I'm pretty sure the single shot guy can put his bullet where he wants it. I'm not too sure about a bullet sprayer. I've seen wannabes carrying lever guns and bolts they didn't know how to use also.

Pete

Last edited by petemi; 06/27/13.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by petemi
I don't own a Number One.
Which qualifies your opinion in the subject somewhere below that of my dog's. What a load of BULLSHIT.

Why would I when I can get equal performance from another rifle at a third the cost? I've been around a long time, and I have heard good and bad about the Ruger....but I have also heard the same about the Handi.

I have a Handi .243 Superlight that I recently put three bullets in each of six targets, that's 18 rounds, at 300 yards, all within 2.5 inches. That's with 72 year old eyes and shakes.
BULL-F*CKING-[bleep]. BULLSHIT.

Ya know Bricktop, if the guy has honestly owned four of them and none would shoot, I would assume he's comparing them to other rifles he owns or has owned and is not blowing smoke. You've been around this site a long time and I'm a newcomer. I respect that. However, I think you owe the man an apology.
I'm sorry, I already had my supper and I'm all out of an appetite for candyass this evening. I don't owe any lying, gasbag, piece-of-dogshit anything but a scornfully hard time which has been rightfully earned. You can include yourself in that receiving line as well.

I've been on the GBO H&R site for almost 6 years with 6268 posts. I have never seen anyone abused that way. If someone disagrees, they do it respectfully.

Pete
Allow me to state the obvious: no one -- and I mean NO ONE -- gives a f*ck if you're some kind of man about town over on dogpatch.com.

Here's the deal: just because you and that other [bleep] choose to post any old horseshit on the internet, doesn't automatically make those claims credible. If you post something obviously STUPID AND PATENTLY FALSE, you're probably going to be taken to task over it.

Pull your head out of your ass. For a change. It'll help you grasp that better.

P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
Bricktop, you are a rude and vulgar man. If I were moderator here I'd boot you. I'm gone from this forum because I can hear your kind of trash in any bar in town. You may know something about Rugers, but you're a moron when it comes to dealing with people.

Pete

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Bricktop, you are a rude and vulgar man. If I were moderator here I'd boot you. I'm gone from this forum because I can hear your kind of trash in any bar in town. You may know something about Rugers, but you're a moron when it comes to dealing with people.

Pete
Quite the contrary, Nancy. Lying dickheads deserve the harshest treatment possible. You're a corrosive element who needs to be stomped out.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

389 members (01Foreman400, 2alphas2, 2500HD, 160user, 3333vl, 257 mag, 42 invisible), 2,131 guests, and 1,200 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,501
Posts18,472,222
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.