Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Thank you all for the concern,.....

It's been a STRANGE day, weather wise,......the South end of the Upper San Pedro under cloud,......like JUST south and east of a well defined "Chinook Arch". Dunno' how much is actually cumulus, versus SMOKE,......at sundown the sun was a dim red orb, and one could view it naked eye.

The ambient temps were notable today, but we've seen HOTTER in the previous week when skies were dead blue, and clear.

Looks like a bullet dodged, and I'm hoping that the cloud cover denotes the beginning of a decent Monsoon.

Trees are chasing the dogs, at at the moment.

....maintain hydration, and keep your concerned eye on your team members, and workmates.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Should have commented that I do NOT want to even think about what it must have been like to the North and west of that Arch,.....and regret that so many ignore the sensible and practical advice posted about these thankfully infrequent temperature spikes.

.....like "How DARE Ma Nature throw this out there, and interrupt /disrupt MY (puny) plans ?"

Whether interstate highways or illegal foot trails,......we're stuck with a modern breed that hasn't got sense enough to shade up and WAIT for cool temps.

Perishers,......hardwired by some evil design, and putting their RESCUERS at elevated risk.

I'll be OK,....PRAY for those rescuers, my friends.

GTC

-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Those temperatures are brutal!

I wonder how long it would take to acclimate to temperatures like that if one was coming from an area with, err.... "more civilized temperatures"?

Greg, didn't you used to live in Western Canada?

I'd likely die before acclimating! The hottest weather I can remember in recent summers is the equivalent of 85 F -- and that was notable for its rarity (just about 3 days in the last 3 years)!

Here today, the temp is a nice 72 F, partial sun and just a whisper of a breeze. I like it! smile

My (fur) hat is off to you guys who can handle those temps but do be careful!

John

Last edited by jpb; 06/29/13. Reason: lack of Espresso :)
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Somebody at Google News has a sense of humor.

Phoenix, Las Vegas bake in scorching heat - WVVA TV Bluefield Beckley WV ...

is right above

FDA Approves a Drug for Hot Flashes

I am a conservative with a lowercase "c".
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Greg, didn't you used to live in Western Canada?

Yup, In the Bow valley, just below Banff, and prior to that down in the Highwood Country. 23 1/2 years of frost to soak out of bones (more than a few busted wink ) and growing no younger, I chose to make a rather dynamic change in climates. Kinda' looks like I got what I asked for, too, don't it ? grin

My new (20 years now)high desert area is climatically superior to Tucson and the greater Phoenix area, WAY cooler at night, and yet sporting the famous daytime "Dry Heat" that Az. is renowned for.

GTC

Link: http://azstarnet.com/news/local/7211c2a7-299c-5e44-8e3d-d2d23c5b648e.html

We'll set June record for temps topping 100
Sunday will make it a month of scorchers; only a hint of relief in sight

Tucson continued its slow, blistering march toward the record books Friday with another triple-digit day.

A high of 110 Friday - below the forecasted 112 - and expected 100-degree days today and Sunday will result in the metro area suffering through a June where each day hit 100 degrees or hotter, the first June on record that has happened.

July will continue the pain with the streak of 100-plus temperatures expected for much of the first week, the National Weather Service said.

The NWS has issued an excessive-heat warning through 9 p.m. Sunday, thanks to a stubborn high-pressure system that is cooking a large part of the Southwest.

But there is a glimmer of relief - a chance of showers, albeit slight. That chance is 10 percent for today, increasing slightly in the coming week.

Until the monsoon rains blow in, Capt. Adam Goldberg, spokesman for the Northwest Fire District, urges people to curtail their outdoor activities and stay inside.

"We have to change our behaviors ... and really consider postponing our outdoor activities," Goldberg said. "We really need to completely change the way we do things over the next three days."

He also suggests abstaining from barbecuing. In these extreme temperatures, a loose spark could turn into a fire that spreads faster and hotter, Goldberg said.

No serious problems from Friday's heat were reported by area public-safety agencies.

Phoenix topped out at 116, slightly below the expected high, thanks in part to a smoky haze that blew in from large wildfires in New Mexico.

On StarNet: Check out the 10-day forecast for Tucson at azstarnet. com/app/weather

HOT DAYS AHEAD

Today

High 113 2/3 Low 82 2/3 0% chance of rain

Sunday

High 110 2/3 Low 81 2/3 10% chance of rain

Monday

High 107 2/3 Low 79 2/3 20% chance of rain

How Star readers beat the heat

Arizona Daily Star readers were asked on Facebook for keep-cool tips, and they came through.

� Retiree Deborah Wilcox doesn't leave the house in summer without sunscreen, cotton clothing, a wide-brim hat and an umbrella.

� Lois Marie Durgin freezes water in soda bottles and stuffs them in the front pockets of her pants, a strategy she says "works great."

� Daniel Gaona, a Star sports writer, soaks a T-shirt in ice water and wears it around his neck. "Makes it feel like the one day a year of winter we have in Tucson," he said.

� Mary Liz Hall Freund leaves the house during the hottest summer days only for what she calls an "absolute emergency" - running out of ice cream!

� Reader Phyllis Denison sticks to the basics with her summer survival plan: "Go from A/C in house to A/C in car to A/C in store. Repeat!"

"We have to change our behaviors ... and really consider postponing our outdoor activities. We really need to completely change the way we do things over the next three days."

Capt. Adam Goldberg, spokesman for the Northwest Fire District

100-day streak

The longest streak of consecutive days with 100 degrees or higher in Tucson is 39 days, last set in 2005. The current streak ranks in the Top 10.

Link:

IC B2

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Ole Greg's toughern' a boot heel, that hot streak aint gonna phase him. smile

Gunner

Trump Won!
U
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
U
eek! 103-105* here the next few days, and that with a 20 mph south wind....

Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
I've been in triple digit heat enough to know it ain't for me.

I hope you folks are able to take in stride like when y'all look at some of our winter temps and think *we're* crazy!

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ironbender
I've been in triple digit heat enough to know it ain't for me. �

When I was a lad in south Alabama and west Florida in the '30s and '40s, we endured outdoor heat as high as 120� and humidity as high as 100%. Worse indoors.

I often wonder how we even survived it � without air-conditioning, usually fully clothed, with neither a fan nor a breeze. It's one reason that I don't look back on "The Good Ol' Days" with undiluted nostalgia.

Nowadays, even though I'm chilly at temperatures below 80�, I'm uncomfortable at anything over 90�.

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Greg, glad to hear you and the pups are doing OK. It's gotta be rough on the orchard, though!

It was 104F here yesterday. We cut thigh-high hay on Thursday evening. With yesterday's temp and the 20mph SW wind, it is ready to bale now.

As Bluedreaux noted, the temps are moderating. Mid 90's here today, but tomorrow, Monday, and Tuesday are going to be a blissful 88F with nightime temps in the upper 60's.

Still no serious chances for rain here. I expect the Commissioners to declare a burn ban any day now.

As Greg noted, keep an eye on your workmates and family. Dehydration just ups the ante for heat exhaustion or heat stroke.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It's a popular misconception that farm folks in the days prior to air conditioning , or even electric fans for that matter, worked early in the day, came in and rested thru midday, and returned to the fields when the temps fell in the evening.

The FACT is that they worked thru the heat of the day. There was no relief to be had indoors, or even on a big porch.

They came in when the temp fell enough to make rest possible.

Guys nowadays seem to think that when you start sweating, it's time to take a break. Actually, that's when you can actually work a little more comfortably if you are dressed properly, that being loose fitting cotton clothes. Nothing beats a pair of blue overalls and a long sleeved cotton shirt.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Amen!

That is a lesson I learned the hard way when I moved down here.
When I start the day early, just after sunup, I can work all day as long as I stay hydrated.
If I take a break, and go into an air conditioned house for a while, then go back outside to finish for the day, it hurts, really, really hurts.

At first I couldn't understand how those West Texas ranchers and farmers could stand to wear a long-sleeve shirt in the summer. I learned.
There are not many shirt manufacturers out there that make good quality, thin, all cotton long sleeve shirts anymore. When I find one, I buy it and all others I can lay my hands on.

It's like cowboy boots and cowboy hats, the clothing has evolved with certain design specs that are universal, because they meet the work environment requirement, not some "fashion expert's" ideal for work clothing.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
118 at my place yesterday at about lunch time in the shade of my porch.
I am building a house and staying in a 22 foot trailer, with both air conditioners in the trailer going full blast in the trailer the temp was about 94. Took a couple of showers to cool off.

Last edited by Blueboat; 06/29/13.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Yep, A/C is what finally made FL habitable.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
As to Greg, he has enough common sense to survive about anything.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Wanna bet he's out at the range right now, working? grin

Ed

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A "thin shirt" is a relative term, but I like the "safari shirts" from Cabela's. They are what I call "thick" and provide more sun protection.

I used to load boxcars in July in Wichita Falls with the owners of the Fab shop where I was Foreman. Aaron, an owner, was red haired and red faced. Like me, he could blister under a full moon.

But he could outwork the rest of us. Blue overalls and a fleece lined blue denim jacket was his uniform. His face would get redder and redder, and then the sweat would soak into that jacket and he was off to the races.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
As to Greg, he has enough common sense to survive about anything, short of a determined assault on his bachelorhood by a redheaded woman.

Fixed it for you. grin

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864
Amen!

That is a lesson I learned the hard way when I moved down here.
When I start the day early, just after sunup, I can work all day as long as I stay hydrated.
If I take a break, and go into an air conditioned house for a while, then go back outside to finish for the day, it hurts, really, really hurts.

At first I couldn't understand how those West Texas ranchers and farmers could stand to wear a long-sleeve shirt in the summer. I learned.
There are not many shirt manufacturers out there that make good quality, thin, all cotton long sleeve shirts anymore. When I find one, I buy it and all others I can lay my hands on.

It's like cowboy boots and cowboy hats, the clothing has evolved with certain design specs that are universal, because they meet the work environment requirement, not some "fashion expert's" ideal for work clothing.

Ed

Currently only 104. SIL and I have been at it on the fenceline. My std uniform is always hickory stripe round house overalls, long sleeve chambray cotton shirt and a FELT hat! On our way back out to finish wire and start on gate posts.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
For setting, I like a WIDE brimmed straw hat... like the ones from Big Bend Saddlery.

For working..... it's an old black Resistol.

I don't know why it works, but it does. Might be the dead air space providing insulation to the top of our heads.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

638 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 163bc, 10gaugeman, 1234, 65 invisible), 2,492 guests, and 1,195 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,432
Posts18,507,560
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.