Print Thread
Hop To
R
robes Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
R
i have a weatherby 243 in a manners eh1 stock and am lookinf for a scope, thinking 4.5-14-44, im interested in the zeiss conquest leupold or vortex hs. anyone have recommendations?
Also have a custom rem 700 in 30.06 i should be getting back soon, looking at the same brands in lower magnification also, any help is greatly appreciated.
the 243 will be used out to 600 yds possibly farther, 06 prob 300-400 yds max if that helps,

GB1

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Please excuse the question but I have to ask if you have any experience shooting long range. I ask because most people with enough experience to shoot an animal at 400-600 yards don't need to ask about scope choices.

I don't mean to offend and will do everything to help a new hunter or shooter to be successful, even if it means talking about practical limitations.

R
robes Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Not offended at all, and yes i used to shoot regularly out to 600 yds, not as much now but still do and looking to get back into it. Ive just never had a really quality scope on a good rifle. ive had both of my rifles worked on and dont want to skimp on a scope this time as ive done in the past. And the only animal ive shot at that far were coyotes. maybe i can clear it up by saying the 243 will be used for targets and varmints out to a max of 600, the 30.06 will be used mostly between 200 and 300 yds maybe a touch further

R
robes Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Im pretty sure on the magnification pwers i want, Im looking more for a comparison between the three brands as well as any info on the reticles

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
That Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14 with a rapid Z might be worth looking into or a VX3 with CDS if you have a pet load. Either one are great quality and deserve a hands on look.

I have no experience with Vortex other than they have a good warranty now but I trust the Zeiss and Leupold more and since they have a long track record aren't as likely to disappear and leave you with no warranty support 10 years from now.

IC B2

R
robes Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
R
heres my issue with the leupolds, ive always had cheap scopes and am liking that leupolds made in the us but the vx-1 through vx-6 having trouble distinguishing the differences between all the models. while i dont want to cheap out i also dont want to pay for features or something i dont need.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Personally, For hunting anything VX2 or higher makes me happy. If you buy used you need to know the progression. Older aren't bad but coatings and such progress nearly as fast as computer processors.

Progression is

Vari X II..... VXII.....VX2

Vari X III......VX III.....VX3

Leupold made a VX7 that was top of the line with European glass comparable to the big boys.

The new VX6 is reportedly a great scope with glass close to the big boys but may be easier to get behind with a great eye box.

The good eye box which makes them easy to get behind (on most models) is what sells me on Leupolds. This may not be as important if your hunting style lends itself to long range sniping. I am more apt to mount quick and shoot at a moving target.

R
robes Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
R
thanks that helps alot as im a fan of good eye relief on a scope. dont like to get to close or if i move slightly have the scope black out which is why im looking at these higher end scopes. I do realize there is better but ive never spent more than 300 on a scope. any recomendations on reticles, i like the #4 but the two horizontal lines seem awful close in the middle is there one similar with more space in between?

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Someone else can give better advice on reticles.

Be aware that Leupolds usually have a greater variance in eye relief from low to high power than most scopes. I have never found it a problem since I set my scope up for proper eye position on the lowest power. It will be on the lowest power when I need to mount fast for a close moving shot anyway and a slight head adjustment on high power isn't a problem because if I have time to increase power and set up a long shot, I certainly have time to slightly adjust my head position.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
IMO in that power range, I'd look into a SWFA SS 3-15. I don't think you will get any better for the price.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Reticles- Vortex takes the cake handily

Bang for buck - again, Vortex

Reputation and longevity - Leupold, with Vortex not far behind (the only thing that Vortex lacks here is a proven track record to compete with Leupold's)

Turrets and mechanics - Vortex by a mile

Optics - All 3 are about on par if looking at VX3, Conquest, and Viper glass

Eye relief and eye box - All 3 are very good, although I can't say how the Conquest 4.5-14 stacks up specifically, I can say that in the comparable 3-9x versions the Conquest is the easiest to get behind by a small margin

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

495 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 1100mag, 1beaver_shooter, 1eyedmule, 10gaugeman, 57 invisible), 3,664 guests, and 1,251 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,767
Posts18,535,825
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.