-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Probably not what ya'all expected. However I posted it here in case anybody else knows anything about this old Majestic. It's got a long story going back to a depression camp in the 30's on what's left of my family's homestead. It used to be in "the big house" which burned down in a forest fire in the 50's. The story was, after the fire, a local outfitter stole the stove and had it in his cabin. Well, last summer it was uncovered in the back of one of the old outbuildings. Needless to say, I'm happy it's still around. I've heard many stories about this range over my years. One of my favorites... Many people around the camp were poor and broke down, many of them had families there with them in the logging camp. My great-great grandmother used to invite all the women from the camp into their house (which was the only one for miles in any direction) and they would all hang around the stove baking bread and pies while the men were out working. She used to comment on how much fresh bread and a pie could change a persons outlook on life. It never failed to amaze me that even back then in desperate times, people held onto their hopes and dreams. Never were the people in the camp resentful towards my Great-great grandfather John. He was paid well by the feds to keep steam engines running in trains. He paid himself enough money to mantain a household. The rest was put into the logging operation in the camps. He funded and mantained much of the equipment that the men needed to log, and created what he called an "employee co-op operation" This eventually led to him helping build many sawmills that he partnered in. He made many a man a comfortable living through the 30's and 40's, and was an avid fly-fisherman. He died in his 70's, with no sons to carry on the family businesses, and his daughters all married and happy in their lives. He gave all his companies and holdings to the men that worked for him, some of which are still in operation. His ashes were spread on top of Foolhen Mountain in what's now The Bob Marshall Wilderness, overlooking what he said was the best god-damn flyfishing and elk hunting he'd ever seen.

Mostly I'm curious if there's enough of it there to make it functional again. I'm seriously thinking about doing a Crustoration on it and putting it back to use. I figure that when I semi retire, and I have to work that hard just to make breakfast, maybe I'll learn something from the old man...

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I'm Irish...

Of course I know how to patch drywall
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Been looking for something similar for my retirement cabin! Good stuff.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I hope you get it back together. Even if it isn't fully functional, at least you've got it.

What happens when you get scared half to death...twice?
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Looks like you'll need a sandblaster and an HVLP sprayer. If the cast parts are all there and uncracked it oughta be just a big heavy jigsaw puzzle.

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Dan:

I bet it's all there. I would like to see step-by-step photos that document the process of cleaning it up, restoring it and putting it back together. Looks like a fun project.

Your great-grand-father sounds like a grand old man from a bygone era.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

IC B2

O
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
O
Originally Posted by KC

Dan:

I bet it's all there. I would like to see step-by-step photos that document the process of cleaning it up, restoring it and putting it back together. Looks like a fun project.

Your great-grand-father sounds like a grand old man from a bygone era.

KC

I agree Dan get this done and photo/story it all. For what it's worth being married into a crazy Irish family, your signature statement cracks me up.

Sucess only comes before work in the dictionary.
E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Dan,

Great story. Looks like most of the parts are there. Let me know if you are missing any, as I have quite a few parts laying around.
Nothing modern will ever equal the wood cook ranges. Deb prefers to cook on our 1882 Arcadian to anything else and you have tasted the results!

Ed T

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Exactly Ed, that's why I'm seriously thinking about dragging that range home. So far it looks like it's missing the burner plates, and the door for the breadbox. Next time I'm there, I'll catalog it all better.

Thanks everybody esle for the comments and understanding.

I'm Irish...

Of course I know how to patch drywall
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Great post.

Yes that stove is very rebuildable. If there are any parts missing that you need and either Ed T doesn't have or you can't find let me know and I will make them for you.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

499 members (1badf350, 1minute, 1beaver_shooter, 219DW, 222ND, 48 invisible), 2,468 guests, and 1,240 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,290
Posts18,505,238
Members73,998
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.