Print Thread
Hop To
G
gijoetx Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
G
First what do you think about decoys help yes or no, and whats your favorite decoy.... Second has anybody ever ran a small portable blind and setup same day? If so are you successful with the blind?

GB1

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
I still use pop up blinds. I find looking at trails used, then locate a stand with elevation and easy access with regards to wind direction. I have decreased my walking distance and time along with an increase success.

Youtube:
The complete idiots guide to atheism.
The Four Horseman. Discussions with Richard Dawkins
God Is Not Great. Christopher Hitchens
Do not fear education.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Decoys work well for me and I don't bother with a blind, don't move sit in the shade or with your back to cover, one less thing to pack.

I use four different decoys, whirling woody, blackjack, Montana coyote, old no name but works, and a feather on a stick, I guess that is five.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
G
gijoetx Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
G
Well I have been thinking about getting a decoy and that is why I am asking about them so thanks for that. On the blind thing, that came up when me and a buddy were talking, the subject came up and he asked about blinds. I don't know because I have never used one. So I am just curious if there is any success with the pop up blinds.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I hunt a lot of close cover and the decoy with a remote caller really take the coyote focus off of everything but the decoy giving you a chance to raise the gun without spooking them even as close as 20 yrds. Be sure you set your decoy so the coyote can see it quite a ways away, nothing will spook a coyote more than coming around a bush and having a decoy spinning in his face.

Sometimes even when I'm mouth calling I'll run a decoy with a JS Attractor on low set beneath it and just shut up when I see he's spotted the decoy. I see Mojo has a super critter with a sound built in, might give one of those a try this season.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R
here in s.tex the weeds and brush are to high to have much luck with a decoy, i just back into a bush and sit on a barstool high chair, so i can see over the weeds mostly use hand calls and a shotgun,usually cant see coyotes until they are 25-35 yards away bobcats are ususlly taken much closer.it all depends on where you live and hunt.rio7

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

There is room for all of God's creatures....right next to the mashed potatoes.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I believe the decoy work best when calling cats . I have killed as many coyote without decoy as i have with one. I use the Mojo Woodpecker and the FoxPro Black Jack with remote . Never carry a blind or use one .

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
G
gijoetx Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
G
With all the plus for the decoys I might need to try one this year especially down on the river bottoms where it is a bit tight.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

96 members (35, 10Glocks, 375TN, 6mmCreedmoor, 308ld, 8 invisible), 1,387 guests, and 843 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,327
Posts18,505,910
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.