Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
L
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
L
Need some advice. Friend in rural area is losing pets to yotes, so on the 4th, we're setting up an ambush. Need some advice on how to set it up.

SHould we use a calling device as well as a bait of rotten meat or would doing both at the same time spook them?

thanks! should add that they are very brazen now as no one has bothered them...like I said, a friend's place, not mine. I would have popped them some time ago.

Last edited by leverite2; 07/02/13.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Learn to trap........easiest and most efficient way....!

Sooner or later our heritage of hunting is going to be a rich mans sport and the words "Outfitter" and "Hunt Industry" will be synonymous with cancer and A.I.D.S. among blue collar hunters like me and my family! (A.L. Williams - 2010)
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
If they really are brazen and are coming in, why the concern for having multiple lures?

Set-up shop, and share the lead.

Last edited by Darkker; 07/02/13.

I'm a firm believer in the theory of " If it bleeds, I can kill it".
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
If you know how to set traps, that is the way to go. Far better, more effective, than trying to call them or snipe them off of bait.

Laws aren't preventative measures. In other words, more laws won't prevent gun crime from happening.
L
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
L
just my ignorance. seemed to me that having both lures in one small area could spook them. There's only a few spots we can safely set up to shoot.

I want to try the calls first, but my buddy wants to use bait.

Last edited by leverite2; 07/03/13.
IC B2

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I have tried baiting with whole road killed deer. Placed the deer in the afternoon, showed up early the next morning with high hopes of sniping one or two, and the deer are gone, not even a trace left. this has happened a couple of times, and this is not lion country, had to be coyotes. I would guess bait would work, but you better have a pretty good pile of it.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
The backbone of the deer in the pic below was a whole deer the previous evening. I found it gutshot while walking to my stand after work on a Friday afternoon. I'm sure this one didn't clean it all up, but he came back around lunch the next day. There was nothing left except the backbone and little pieces of hair...no legs, no head, no hips, nothing... Never tried baiting them, but they will clean up a deer and at least 1 came back to this one.

[Linked Image]

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
if you're not going to try trapping them, just use your electronic call. you might try a rabbit in distress or even a pack howl. i'd set the speaker out at least 30-40 yards and try to get cross wind from the direction i expect the yote to come from. i'd also set the speaker out in an opening (like out from the edge of a field) so the yote will run to the edge of the field to get a good view of what is making all the noise.

using a call in conjunction with bait rarely works because a yote can't link the sound of a dying animal with the smell of a rotten animal, at least that was my experience some years ago.

as previously mentioned, using traps is never a bad idea.

good luck.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

543 members (1Longbow, 17Fan, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 67 invisible), 2,952 guests, and 1,266 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,112
Posts18,483,365
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.