-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Guilty of report gross instead of net scores, should have read the previous post more carefully.

This buck is from Idaho's unit 44 and has been in at least one magazine and in several shows.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. Albert Einstein
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It's a helluva buck, that's for sure. I've noticed that in Owyhee County (specifically) the best bucks are more susceptible during summer archery hunts. That is a very nice buck your buddy killed and I would estimate215 net non-typical (without velvet), based on 40 years of hunting trophy-class mule deer. Awesome buck, nonetheless.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Buck was killed during the muzzleloader season, all other bucks had already rubbed. This was a cactus buck with one small gonad. The game warden was called before it was moved to avoid all those that would say it had been poached. The velvet was left in tack so no official score was ever recorded.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. Albert Einstein
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I once killed a buck -- about 30 years ago, or more -- on the Uncompahgre Plateau, that had no testicles. Strangely enough, that buck was hard-horned and a few days prior, I'd picked up his matched sheds from the year before. He was freak, of sorts and the antlers are awesome. That buck has the largest base circumference of any buck I've killed in North America.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Hey Mav, since you've been after it for 40 years lets see some pics of your success. We love big muleys.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
hunting the Inyos of Eastern California 15 years ago, I stopped to talk to one hunter, and he pulled out a shed he'd found. Only about 6 inches of the base was there, the rest probably gnawed away by rodents. But what was left was about the same diameter as my wrist. The elusive bastard that left them must have been a whopper, and is why I'm going to chase them again.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
No kidding!!!! Gosh, I'd love to seen that shed and the buck that left it. That's helluva Inyo mule deer. The biggest buck from that country (Sierras) scores about 370 (+/-) net non-typical. Killed in the late 70's. there are some really big, ones in the Sierras, that's for sure. California is actually a trophy mule deer state, although most people don't even recognize it as such.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Maverick940
No kidding!!!! Gosh, I'd love to seen that shed and the buck that left it. That's helluva Inyo mule deer. The biggest buck from that country (Sierras) scores about 370 (+/-) net non-typical. Killed in the late 70's. there are some really big, ones in the Sierras, that's for sure. California is actually a trophy mule deer state, although most people don't even recognize it as such.

Impressive but 370"? The world record is 355 2/8" killed by Ed Broder in Alberta in 1926 and the best CA buck I know of was killed by a guy with the last name of Laird and it was killed in the early 70's and was just shy of 320" if I remember correctly. The Laird buck used to be in the top 10 and I'd be stunned if it dropped out of the top 10

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If memory serves me correctly, the state record mule deer is from the county just north and slightly east of Bakersfield, when it was killed and then submitted, we were stunned, actually. to date and in terms of aesthetic appeal, it supersedes the Broderick non-typical buck from the Panther River. For that matter and in terms of sheer mass, the Arizona state record exceeds the Broderick buck and especially in relation to outside spread. If I recall, the Alberta buck is only 38 inches on the outside.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
However, the Umatilla buck is quite astonishing, though killed quite some time ago. It's a relatively recent entry and it is VWRY impressive. It's much wider than it appears to be and the height is phenomenal. Very much like a world-class buck that was killed along Piceance Creek, back in the 1950'S. As it turned out and I can fully recall from the 1962 magazine article (Outdoor Life, circa 1961/62 the buck was the smallest of five that the hunter encountered that day. We'll never see those days, gain, that's for sure.

IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Show us some pics Romeo......

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Just checked and the Laird buck is still #8 in the world and #1 in California. The Artie Mcgram buck is #16 in the world and #2 in CA and netted over 305" and was killed in 1987.

If you find a picture of that "370 inch NET" buck let me know, I'd love to see it grin

Laird Buck
[Linked Image]

McGram buck
[Linked Image]

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I'm sure he's got a picture of it Drum, probably right beside his copy of Rosetta Stone's "Learn Russian" CD. Romeo is a real treat isn't he?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by huntsonora
Just checked and the Laird buck is still #8 in the world and #1 in California. The Artie Mcgram buck is #16 in the world and #2 in CA and netted over 305" and was killed in 1987.

If you find a picture of that "370 inch NET" buck let me know, I'd love to see it grin

Laird Buck
[Linked Image]

McGram buck
[Linked Image]

I passed up a buck like that last year.. horns wouldn't have fit in my Jeep...

whistle grin

X zone bucks I bet.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by JGRaider
I'm sure he's got a picture of it Drum, probably right beside his copy of Rosetta Stone's "Learn Russian" CD. Romeo is a real treat isn't he?

I think his response to your asking him to post a pic is the internet version of 'pregnant silence'....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hi, Druard.

Before I say "thank you" for you (yourself) wasting your own wife's time, I'll acknowledge the internet research you performed. You are a very good student, albeit young.

Anyway, the Liard buck from the west slope of the Sierras, (Mariposa County, if you happen to recall, Drew) is the one. That is the official state non-typical record and, the official state non-typical record that is recognized n=by B&C.

Possibly you recall seeing Foster's giant heads from California that are recognized and unrecognized, or perhaps, your minute 30+ years of age doesn't recall that type of history? Anyway, maybe your wife knows, since she's the one who actually gave you your start.

But, to go back to the Mariposa buck and the Shasta buck:

The Shasta buck was killed in Shasta County in 1985 and has been debated as being a Columbian Blacktail, since migration corridors transect the region. Yet, Boone & Crockett recognizes the buck as being a Pacific Coast Mule Deer, even though it "looks" like a blacktail.

Thank you, Drew, for being so focused that you'd turn your attention away from you wife and supposedly, clients too, to investment everything for proving virtually nothing.

Have a nice night, Druard. I have your telephone number and I'll call you, so we can talk in real-time, on a Federal "dime". You really need to receive a Federal phone call, at this point. and s

Anyway, stay cool in all the heat over there, to the northwest.

Mav

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Maverick940
Hi, Druard.

Before I say "thank you" for you (yourself) wasting your own wife's time, I'll acknowledge the internet research you performed. You are a very good student, albeit young.

Anyway, the Liard buck from the west slope of the Sierras, (Mariposa County, if you happen to recall, Drew) is the one. That is the official state non-typical record and, the official state non-typical record that is recognized n=by B&C.

Possibly you recall seeing Foster's giant heads from California that are recognized and unrecognized, or perhaps, your minute 30+ years of age doesn't recall that type of history? Anyway, maybe your wife knows, since she's the one who actually gave you your start.

But, to go back to the Mariposa buck and the Shasta buck:

The Shasta buck was killed in Shasta County in 1985 and has been debated as being a Columbian Blacktail, since migration corridors transect the region. Yet, Boone & Crockett recognizes the buck as being a Pacific Coast Mule Deer, even though it "looks" like a blacktail.

Thank you, Drew, for being so focused that you'd turn your attention away from you wife and supposedly, clients too, to investment everything for proving virtually nothing.

Have a nice night, Druard. I have your telephone number and I'll call you, so we can talk in real-time, on a Federal "dime". You really need to receive a Federal phone call, at this point. and s

Anyway, stay cool in all the heat over there, to the northwest.

Mav

Is there anybody here that can decipher this?

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I think its called living vicariously....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Who is Drew?

Who is Druard?

Who has a wife that gave them their start?

Is Mav drunk?

*Edit to add that whoever Druard is needs to let us know about that "federal" phone call grin

Last edited by huntsonora; 07/03/13.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by GuyM
This rascal, the Oregon state record buck, came through my burg at an outdoorsmans's show earlier this year.

Enough to make sure I'm interested in hunting mulies this year!

[Linked Image]

Kind of a wild looking rack. That's cool. I like those big mulies, typical or non-typical.

Guy

I've seen this buck at our local Sportsman Show several times and the rack actually looks pretty good - the picture is a little deceiving. A heck of a buck though for sure - its from Grant County which is where I chase muleys when I can. That county has the genetics to produce huge deer, just needs some better management but there are still some bruisers out there. I usually am only lucky to see them when I get a late elk tag in the area during the beginning of the deer rut. Makes for a fun hunt even when the elk aren't around:)

"Rather hunt Mule deer than anything else"
"Team 7MM-08"
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

385 members (160user, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 1lesfox, 1Longbow, 1lessdog, 34 invisible), 1,825 guests, and 1,165 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,754
Posts18,495,394
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.