Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
J
jwp475 Online Sleepy OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by jimmyp
interestingly as I have noted before in my years of hunting the guy that comes up with blood on the ground but no deer always shows up the next year with a magnum to fix his problem. just sayin� whistle

Bullet selection is also a key as well as correct shot placement with an adequate cartridge. Once one has an adequate cartridge larger does not equate to better

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
GB1

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by Notropis
I have shot unwounded deer and hogs with a handgun.

I think you misread my statement about killing game animals with a handgun. Notice the word is UNWOUNDED and not wounded. I have, indeed, finished off a few with a handgun but have also shot some that had not previously been shot with another weapon.

J
jwp475 Online Sleepy OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Then try the 380 on unwounded deer and get back to us on its adequacy. Let us know about the inadequate penetration and the under whelming wound channel

I can't wait for the full report

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
J
jwp475 Online Sleepy OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by ldholton
Had a guy in a ccw class once really bad mouthing a .380 and telling others in the class how you were better off not carrying than to carry a .380 ! I had enough and asked him if he really wanted to prove his point and sure enough he said hell yea !! so I asked him to stand at 15 yards and I would shoot him , he declined and never said another word the rest of the day

Would you stand at 15 yards and let me shoot you with a BB gun? I doubt it, but that does make the BB gun an adequate self defense weapon

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by jwp475
Originally Posted by ldholton
Had a guy in a ccw class once really bad mouthing a .380 and telling others in the class how you were better off not carrying than to carry a .380 ! I had enough and asked him if he really wanted to prove his point and sure enough he said hell yea !! so I asked him to stand at 15 yards and I would shoot him , he declined and never said another word the rest of the day

Would you stand at 15 yards and let me shoot you with a BB gun? I doubt it, but that does make the BB gun an adequate self defense weapon
not saying it is the best choice ut wayyyyyyyyy bettr than nothing , IF you think you might be headed into a spot of trouble by all means pack something with a bit more punch or better yet avoid the sitation

IC B2

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N

Then try the 380 on unwounded deer and get back to us on its adequacy. Let us know about the inadequate penetration and the under whelming wound channel

Why in the world would I want to do something as stupid as that? I have more respect for a deer than that. As stated before, going out to try to kill a deer has almost no relationship to trying to neutralize an aggressive human. To think they are the same is to ignore reality. What is suitable for one may not be suitable for the other. Apples and oranges.

Have you ever been in a situation in which the presence of a handgun stopped an aggressive attacker?

edit:Have you ever been shot at 15 yards by a BB gun? I have been and am here to tell about it. I doubt I would be here if it had been a 380 or even a 22. Not a good argument.

Last edited by Notropis; 07/04/13.
J
jwp475 Online Sleepy OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Notropis

1-Why in the world would I want to do something as stupid as that? I have more respect for a deer than that. 2- As stated before, going out to try to kill a deer has almost no relationship to trying to neutralize an aggressive human. 3-To think they are the same is to ignore reality. What is suitable for one may not be suitable for the other. Apples and oranges.

4-Have you ever been in a situation in which the presence of a handgun stopped an aggressive attacker?

1- Exactly

2- yes it does yet you fail to see that

3-No, you are the one ignoring reality. If the weapon doesn't have the penetration, nor sufficient wound channel size to use on deer, then it also is lacking drastically lack as a defensive weapon. Of course I know they are not exactly the same, defending ones life is much more important and thus the need for an adequate weapon

4-Yes I have, but the particulars are not anyone business

Last edited by jwp475; 07/04/13.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
If I needed to kill a deer and could get within 10 feet, I would have no problems killing them with my Kahr P-380.My dad killed ton of deer with a 22 during the depression.I don't choose to hunt with a 380 because I have better guns for that. If I had to hide my gun in my front pocket while deer hunting and knew I could be arrested if anyone could see it, then I might deer hunt with my 380.

No one is saying the 380 is as effective as a larger caliber. They are saying they have weighed all options and chosen to compromise in order to carry one 100% of the time while doing so easily and comfortably.

You compromise your safety every day you get out of bed in some manner. That's OK because that's life. I think people who do roofing are crazy. It's just life and everyone makes choices based on their own experience. There is not just one right choice.

J
jwp475 Online Sleepy OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
If I needed to kill a deer and could get within 10 feet, I would have no problems killing them with my Kahr P-380.My dad killed ton of deer with a 22 during the depression.I don't choose to hunt with a 380 because I have better guns for that. If I had to hide my gun in my front pocket while deer hunting and knew I could be arrested if anyone could see it, then I might deer hunt with my 380.

No one is saying the 380 is as effective as a larger caliber. They are saying they have weighed all options and chosen to compromise in order to carry one 100% of the time while doing so easily and comfortably.

You compromise your safety every day you get out of bed in some manner. That's OK because that's life. I think people who do roofing are crazy. It's just life and everyone makes choices based on their own experience. There is not just one right choice.

Give it a try and get back us with the results

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I will if you know a good place where I can get within pratical defensive distance.

If you shoot any person, judged by you to be a determined attacker or not, at the distance I shoot most deer (50-100 yards) you will be in prison instead of on here arguing.

Last edited by R_H_Clark; 07/04/13.
IC B3

J
jwp475 Online Sleepy OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
I will if you know a good place where I can get within pratical defensive distance.

If you shoot any person, judged by you to be a determined attacker or not, at the distance I shoot most deer (50-100 yards) you will be in prison instead of on here arguing.

Distance doesn't determine if the shoot is good or not it is the circumstances. If someone is trying to or is shooting at you from 50 to 100 yards and you return fire and nail them, the shoot is justified. Where do you guys come up with some of this crap?

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
We live in reality, not a fantasy where we have to defend against a shooter 50-100 yards away.

PS
I'm just having fun brother, please don't take any of this personal. I think a 45 is a great choice, just not the only choice appropriate for every circumstance.

Last edited by R_H_Clark; 07/04/13.
J
jwp475 Online Sleepy OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
We live in reality, not a fantasy where we have to defend against a shooter 50-100 yards away.

PS
I'm just having fun brother, please don't take any of this personal. I think a 45 is a great choice, just not the only choice appropriate for every circumstance.

We are not discuss every circumstance just self defense and deer both of which it works perfectly with proper ammo

Do you want me to produce actual case when people have been forced to engage from 50 to 100 yards? They do exist you know

Last edited by jwp475; 07/04/13.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
They may exist but they would be so extremely unlikely as to be beyond the realm of a viable argument for weapon choice.

J
jwp475 Online Sleepy OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
They may exist but they would be so extremely unlikely as to be beyond the realm of a viable argument for weapon choice.

I tend to disagree.

J
jwp475 Online Sleepy OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I communicated with the Editor of the local newspaper right after this happened as he had been on the scene following this incident.

He reported to me that the distance MAY have been 160 FEET, but likely shorter than that by his estimate.

I'm extremely glad this citizen chose to intervene, but it's not a credible example to make a long-range point.

But it is a good example of BS being propagated until it is accepted as the truth.

The uninitiated are always easily impressed.
NRA Endowment Member
J
jwp475 Online Sleepy OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by 41magfan

I communicated with the Editor of the local newspaper right after this happened as he had been on the scene following this incident.

He reported to me that the distance MAY have been 160 FEET, but likely shorter than that by his estimate.

I'm extremely glad this citizen chose to intervene, but it's not a credible example to make a long-range point.

But it is a good example of BS being propagated until it is accepted as the truth.

Since we were talking between 50 and 100 yards and 150 feet is 50 yards I'd say that this qualifies

You do realize that 3 feet is 1 yard correct? 160 feet is 53 and 1/3 yards. even if a tad shorter this video proves the point

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You're right - it's more than close enough for purposes of this discussion.

Tell us a story about killin' something big with a big bore handgun - I'm bored with all this .380 stuff.

Thanks!

The uninitiated are always easily impressed.
NRA Endowment Member
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R

I tend to disagree.

Then you had better start carrying a Contender with a good scope in a real deer caliber, if you are going to be engaging shooters at 100 yards. Personally, if I thought there was a good chance of that, I would just stay home.

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

557 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 160user, 1badf350, 1936M71, 56 invisible), 2,335 guests, and 1,227 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,042
Posts18,500,794
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.