Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
am I thinking about a new one? I can't help it - I've got a trouble free Mathews Outback. Ok, so it's a little long in the tooth, but it's fantastic shooter.
I was in the pro shop yesterday, and there on the wall, was a Bowtech Insanity. Aptly named, as I am going crazy trying to justify spending a grand on something that I don't need. Why? I don't know. I believe it is one of life's mysteries. Anyone else suffering? There is something about a new bow that is even more appealing than a new rifle.

- Rogue
GB1

A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
...because it's there, and the "problem" with bows is the same as rifles.

One size will kill all, within reason, in the US. But a varmint rifle sure is nice, as is a good deer rifle, and having an elk rifle is a must for some...Ok, me!

A long ATA bow sure is stable, but but doesn't work as neatly in my ground blind as it does on my open front climber.

So, a compact bow in black would be nice in the blind...and the local 3-D shoots would be nicer with a dedicated 3-D set-up...

Darn, I ended up with ANOTHER bow!

Shoot the Insanity, if it really is better than your Outback, close the deal if you can.

The downside: new bows do not hold the resale values the rifles do...

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular

Exactly.

"The downside: new bows do not hold the resale values the rifles do..."

And this statement is the killer. I think I have made a profit on just about every rifle I've sold. Bows; if I could recoup 50% I'd be a happy camper.

I'm trying to justify the expense, but that is no easy task for a tight old bastid like me.

- Rogue
A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
Yup, hear you.

I buy local when I can and support a very good local shop, but I'll go cheap on the web for an "experiment" bow...the type I may want to shoot a bit and back out of later.

Expense? Take gander at the new 2013 season's offerings of crossbows...I've owned cars that didn't cost that much...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I found myself in that situation with my Mathews switchback as well.

The solution was not free, but better, and less expensive.

I took it all apart, everything, replaced all hardware with stainless steel, Replaced the grips with "torque-less" laminated grips. New cables and string.

Then sent away all the parts for custom film dip. and added the Trijicon night sight.

My switchback is better then any new bow the way it sits right now. The sentimental value of this bow that has killed more game for me then all my other archery equipment combined is meaningful to me.

It's simply got a "cool" factor with the custom film dip and laminated grips.

Way less cost then buying new and yet it's band new again.

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
IC B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
It's a lot worse with traditional bows.

A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by JJHACK

I took it all apart, everything, replaced all hardware with stainless steel, Replaced the grips with "torque-less" laminated grips. New cables and string.

Then sent away all the parts for custom film dip. and added the Trijicon night sight.

My switchback is better then any new bow the way it sits right now. The sentimental value of this bow that has killed more game for me then all my other archery equipment combined is meaningful to me.

That was a very cool post BTW, and thank you for sharing the pictures here. There were some good ideas in there.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by AH64guy
Originally Posted by JJHACK

That was a very cool post BTW, and thank you for sharing the pcitures here. There were some good ideas in there.

I saw that post as well - great pix and great job on the whole rebuild - that bow looks fantastic. You had good reason to do so.

- Rogue
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Interestingly enough, i've killed everything I've been after with my compound so far. And most of the stuff I chased with my recurve.

Last compound I bought was in 91. Round wheels. Didn't like the cams back then. Still shooting that bow currently.

Whats the justification? As noted above, there is really only one. Because you want to.

whats wrong with that?

Honestly there isn't much I wouldn't consider taking on with my 223 or 243, given some parameters, so why do we have.... well lets just say I have at least 2 rifles. And leave the rest to the imagination.

We buy a new sleeping bag or tent because we want to try it out. Same with everything else.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Maybe that's why the divorce rate is so high too!

Trying things out can be problematic in some cases!!

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
It's a lot worse with traditional bows.

Ain't that the truth. I own about 50. Mostly vintage Bears, but a few customs as well.

If I had to pick just two, I'd say the '64 Kodiak and the Palmer double carbon are the best shooters.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I bought my bow on clearance for 300 bucks. A 2012 Bear Mauler with the new E cam.. With my arrows it's shooting 290.. but why is it I look at new bows still?

smile

A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
Boobs - bows, you know you shouldn't be/are caught looking at more...but you do anyway. Just sayin...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Boobs - bows, you know you shouldn't be/are caught looking at more...but you do anyway. Just sayin...

A lot of truth..

And both will end up costing you.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
[Linked Image]

Couldn't resist.

- Rogue
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
one more

[Linked Image]

- Rogue
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Hey, you guys brought it up....

[Linked Image]

- Rogue
A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by Winnie1300

A lot of truth..

And both will end up costing you.

More truth...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by RogueHunter
Hey, you guys brought it up....

[Linked Image]

Ohhh... I like that, I'd buy me a new bow if she came with it.

I bought my last bow probably 5 years back now I guess (Diamond Black Ice). Does everything I need it to do and seldom if ever look at new bows. I'd probably look more often if they were priced at 500-600, but at 1000+ and accessories I do just fine with what I have and I'm quite content.

Life is just one damned thing after another
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by RogueHunter
one more

[Linked Image]

Her draw length is about an inch too long lol

Crossed Arrows Archery LLC
Authorized Obsession Bows Dealer
Custom Strings/Tuning
www.crossedarrowsarcheryllc.com
Black Eagle Arrows Pro Staff, Montana Black Gold Shooting Staff, Dead Center Archery Products Shooting Staff
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

536 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 16penny, 55 invisible), 2,262 guests, and 1,318 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,391
Posts18,488,731
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.