Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
rost495 Online Content OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
Ok, not me and not a backpack but you folks are the best to answer this.

60 year old male. About 200 yards from camp. Gets very cold in the wind. Temps can get close to zero. Used to Texas heat more than cold.

I don't know how the age difference between me and him will affect him.

I've been down to zero, silk, merino wool, light wool pants and then insulated gore tex bibs. Deal with gloves and shoes on your own, often carry a merino wool neck scarf too to seal up.

I'm thinking bunny boots with a loose fit is a start. And some wicking layer, 2 layers of merino wool and a loose fitting insulated gore tex bib set.

I'm not sure if thats good advice.

Open to options for head and hands alos. Will be suggesting toe and hand/body warmers.

Remember this fellow is 60 or maybe 62, and used to our heat, not the cold, that means to me, almost the same as saying -15 instead of zero as the low IE not used to cold...

I know air space is important. I know a wind block is important.

Thanks for all input.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
GB1

R
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
PS its rifle season, so a snowmobile suit in any color could be fine too....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Tell him to walk slow to his hunting spot or better yet wait until he gets there to put the other layers on. That way he won't get overheated and sweat. Sweat equals chills later.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Head, hands, feet. Keep those warm and he'll do fine. Keeping the head warm goes a long way toward keeping the feet warm.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
J
Campfire Regular
Online Mad
Campfire Regular
J
Layers, keep the lower back warm and stay well hydrated, especially at altitude. Muck boots?

There is no retreat but in submission and slavery!
IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
I got the walk slow, layer thing down pat.

Just wondering if there were any specifics to older age, IE thicker layers or maybe silk, then merino then heavy fleece.

And any input into more of a snowmobile type outer layer that is built for wind already.

Not sure about muck boots, was really leaning to bunny boots for his situation but I'll keep muck in mind.

Walking slow is a given at his age anyway and no hurry since its 200 yards from the tent anyway generally.

Any specifics on hands and head too... I know what works for us, just not sure when the circulation starts to slow.

Thanks again, I welcome all the input but looking for a bit more specific.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
You are dead on about the bunny boots. Minus 54 one night (I was out in it all night too) and still have ten toes.

The black Mickeys are rated to minus 20F and are lighter. Sportsman's Guide has them sometimes.

The thing about these boots is you HAVE to blow a little air into the valves and dunk 'em under water and see if they leak. If they bubble air, they are trash.

If they guy won't be moving a bunch maybe one of those wearable sleeping bags like a lot of the guys use in Alberta hunting late-season whitetails would be an option. Also maybe the Hill People Gear Serape. I got Wiggy's latest and greatest enroute. I'll post about it.

Last edited by Take_a_knee; 07/05/13.
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Don't leave home without them.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
No matter the boot, when sitting still for long periods in cold weather my feet get cold. I've had some success with the boot blankets. They zip on over the boot and add insulation.
I also have some heavy insulated overalls and jacket that I would never wear unless sitting still. When not moving they are worth their weight in gold.

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!

Originally Posted by Calvin
As far as gear goes.. The poorer (or cheaper) you are, the tougher you need to be.

gpopecustomknives.com

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Ironbender,

I have been considering adding the HotHand product to my cold weather carry gear. I had heard (not sure of brand) some say the packs can get too warm. Have you had any issues?

I remember my Dad carrying a Jon-e handwarmer during Michigan Deer hunts and wondered why he would mess with that device...

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Muck boots - I've never been cold in mine. They're too flexible for hiking in steep stuff but in this case, the OP says they'll only be used for a short walk. They also allow room inside for a heat pack if needed. Bog Boots are almost the same thing. Chose whichever fits best.

Glove-mitts - far warmer than gloves alone. They're hard to find but some have a full finger inside the mitt. I have a pair from Sportsmans Warehouse that have a thin fabric full finger. It's much better than a bare finger in real cold. Even though the fingers have no insulation, just that thin fabric makes a big difference on a cold gun barrel yet it still allows for a full feel.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
For sitting and not moving in cold weather I like to use a thin glove like the OR Gripper Glove, but to take a hand muff and stick a couple of handwarmers in them.

I also have Arctic Shield boot blankets and they work great if you put them on as soon as you get to your spot. You can stick a handwarmer in each of them as well. It also helps a lot to make sure he eats enough, and a thermos of hot coffee goes a long way on a frosty morning.

As far as outerwear, he could get some insulated bib overalls from Walls. They're not too much money, and nearly windproof.

Keep an eye on ebay. I found a Patagonia R1 shirt that is normally $149 for $16 because it has a drug name embroidered on it. Apparantly the drug company gave them out to the launch team.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I've had good luck with Underarmour Coldgear Base layers, 2.0 I believe they are, under Cabelas Wooltimate outerlayers for the temps and wind you mentioned in your post. It's bulky for long walks and on the pricey side but Cabelas usually puts their wool on sale over the summer months. Hope this helps you..good luck

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I have used hot socks with my shoes on for extra warmth. It's the sitting for long period that gets me cold. Even doing some squats or push ups only warms me up briefly. Honestly, I've thought about bringing my quilt for extra warmth when sitting a long time.

Lightweight Tipi Tents and Hunting Tents https://seekoutside.com/tipis-and-hot-tents/
Backpacks for backpack hunting https://seekoutside.com/hunting-backpacks/
Hot Tent Systemshttps://seekoutside.com/hot-tent-combos/
M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
From what I understand, you have the layering system and not walking fast thing down pat. A fleece skull cap with a wool stocking cap over it is very effective at keeping you warm and blocking much of the wind. Use the scarf as well.

Do know that, at altitude, the disposable handwarmers will not work effectively as there is not enough oxygen for them to react. I cannot specify what "at altitude" is, but I know 12,000ft won't cut it. If you are hunting the lowlands (6,000-8,000ft) I would think that they would work some. If you elect to use them, hands and feet are fine, but also consider putting them back on near your kidneys as they receive much blood flow (think both sides of lower back just above hip bone.

Also, a high-protien, high fat breakfast would do well to fuel the furnace. It may also do you well to carry a thermos with hot chocolate and a couple of pats of butter melted in (on my personal favorites list.) I often carry an esbit stove to heat water for broth or coffee (Starbucks Via instant coffee is the best instant, bar none).

Realize that he is 60 and his metabolism is slowing. He will naturally cool quicker. Wind does not help. He may also be on medications that interfere with his thermoregulation. I am not a big believer of naturopathic medications, but he could try cayenne and ginger which both actually carry evidence of improving peripheral blood flow.

Stay safe.

-MM

F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F
What works for me is merino wool base layers, fleece ls shirt, fleece zip turtleneck shirt, Asbel wool hoodie, and Wooltimate jacket and pants. A wool Stormy Krommer cap, fleece neck gaiter, poly liner gloves under wool 1/2 finger gloves or mittens, poly liner socks under heavy wool socks in loose 800+ gram boots, and add handwarmers to boot blankets. Or substitute with a lighter wind proof jacket and pants to walk in then add heavy insulated coveralls. I've been in some treestands on some nasty, cold, damp, windy days for at least half the day. Carry in most and dress at the stand so you don't sweat. BTW I can still draw and shoot my bow in that outfit. A northern 60yo.

R
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
Thanks for the extra input.

I don't think they hunt 12K. I think more like 8K. But could be wrong.

I have used the heat pads mid core before too when really cold. Around the kidneys is impressive vs heat. I actually end up using the self stick heat ones around the house sometimes for my back, in the winter its impressive that they help the back plus keep cold at bay.

I have not tried fleece mixed with other, but due to loft I have always carried fleece as a backup, and figure that silk, fleece and wool or silk wool and then fleece might make a heck of a layer system.

Will add the breakfast issues and thermos issues to him when we get together. I"m pushing 50 already so can indentify with some of these issues.

Plus my wife is really cold natured so have to have plenty fluffy stuff for her to wear and make SURE she starts out warm before we leave the tipi/tent/bivy etc...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Rost I want to hunt with you. I have my elk pegged down to about 3 square miles and here you have them located within 200 yards!

Good luck.

οΏ½Some people hear their own inner voice with great clearness. And they live by what they hear. Such people become crazyοΏ½or they become legend."--Jim Harrison

www.doing-manly-things.com
R
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
Oh heck I don't have em within 200 yards at all. I might not even have em within 3 miles like you.

Of course I don't hunt elk anymore. Haven't in years. This is a buddies hunt. He has a crossing 200 yards from camp. They've killed elk on that crossing or trail every time they go. Just a matter of sititng and waiting.

Want to go with me, you'll have to go further. Wife and I are bitten hard by Alaska and try to go every fall. Mostly public land moose but sometimes we do more interesting stuff...I suspect my elk days are over permanently and that I"ll go to my grave having never killed one.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
I am on my second pair of Muck Boot Woody Elites. Rated to -40*F. Carhartt Arctic weight wool socks over a liner sock. Only issue is, with any significant movement during the day, my feet sweat. The boot insoles need to be pulled out and dried out each night. Rotate socks day to day to let the socks dry out. I put a second pair of insoles in my Muck boots to take up some volume and add cush.

A Hill Country serape (or similar) as an over wrap once he is on stand will also help block out the wind and hold in the heat.

+1 for the chemical hand warmers. They worked fine for me between 9,000 and 10,000ft last year during second rifle.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

532 members (007FJ, 01Foreman400, 10ring1, 1234, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 65 invisible), 2,414 guests, and 1,373 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,162
Posts18,484,348
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.