Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
rusty25 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Not long before my first African safari! I'm looking for recommendations on a good taxidermist in the states. I'm located in the southeast if that's any consideration, but figure it doesn't matter as it will require shipping or a road trip for pick-up. I want to use a reliable taxidermist experienced with African game with a great reputation. Any suggestions?

GB1

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
I just got back. Left mine in SA with Highveld Taxidermy in Pretoria. We spent well over an hour and a half touring their facility. One of my cohorts was going to have his shipped back and done here in the States....after seeing their work and getting
a quote, his is being done there. Their dip and pack only time table is 90 days...full mounting is just about 12 months...long time but their quality is amazing. Email me if you want pictures of their stuff.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Jim Guist is out in Billings Mo. His work is outstanding and you can have a look at Totally Awesome Taxidermy

Have a look at his website and see how full of African game his studio is. Of note, the leopard mount on top of the warthog is possibly the best piece of taxidermy work I have ever seen. Ask him for larger pictures of it.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I used Conroe Taxidermy to mount a kudu and a red hartebeest from my plains game hunt in Namibia. They are very experienced in working with African game. I'm very happy with the job that they did. They are a little on the expensive side, but taxidermy is one area where you really get what you pay for.

http://www.conroetaxidermy.com/

Africa Hunting Safaris, Cape Buffalo Hunting, & Other Big Game Hunting Adventures
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
All depends what you are looking for good work doesn't come cheap and you can tell the difference when you see it. This studio is to shelf.

jonasbrotherstaxidermy.com

845-278-0506

"Fast is fine accurate is final"
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You posted that you are in the Southeast. I can highly recommend Darrell McMicken. He's done work for me and his work is outstanding and the prices are reasonable. Alister Norton (Zambian PH) looked at the bushbuck Darrell did for me and said it was the best bushbuck mount he had ever seen. He's hunted in Africa quite a bit and has a ton of experience mounting African game. I don't know where you are located but if you are anywhere close to Cartersville, GA it would be well worth a visit to his shop as he has a showroom on one side of the building that has probably a couple of hundred mounts on display, including a ton of African game, from he and his family's hunting.

McMicken Taxidermy
5531 Georgia 20
Cartersville, GA 30121
(770) 382-6232

http://www.mcmickentaxidermy.com/

Last edited by ColKlink; 05/30/13.

A government, to afford the needful protection and exercise proper care for the welfare of a people, must have homogeneity in its constituents.

-Jefferson Davis
D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by fgold767
I just got back. Left mine in SA with Highveld Taxidermy in Pretoria. We spent well over an hour and a half touring their facility. One of my cohorts was going to have his shipped back and done here in the States....after seeing their work and getting
a quote, his is being done there. Their dip and pack only time table is 90 days...full mounting is just about 12 months...long time but their quality is amazing. Email me if you want pictures of their stuff.

I, too, had my eight plains game animals done by Highveld. It took a little longer than 12 months, but the work is superb.

donsm70

Life Member...Safari Club International
Life Member...Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Life Member...Keystone Country Elk Alliance
Life Member...National Rifle Association
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Any experience with Taxidermy Africa? They're located in Humansdorp near Port Elizabeth.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I was happy with European mounts and flatskins from 2005 trip using Taxidermy Africa. The Peacocks are fine folks, but the staff are locals and I wouldn't expect the same quality as American for shoulder mounts. Avoid Karoo Taxidermy at all costs!!!

The problem with African firms that get bigger is that the product no longer reflects what the owner used to be able to put out when it was just him. Volume shifts the quality over to whatever talent is available locally and the artistic component in taxidermy changes to their idea of what looks right.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks. Kind of what I was afraid of.

IC B3

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Randy Mayes does great work with both African and NA game.

http://www.mayestaxidermystudio.com/african-game.html

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by rusty25
I'm looking for recommendations on a good taxidermist in the states. I'm located in the southeast
Cranes taxidermy in Acworth Georgia picked up my capes from Copperfield in Atlanta & completed everything in 5 months. Very pleased with the quality & customer service. Pm me if you wish to see more pics.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by slg888; 06/02/13.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Those are the two heads I am most inclined to have shoulder mounts done. Everything else, if I am so lucky, will be european.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
http://www.artistryofwildlife.com

Dennis is top notch.

He did my trophies from Botswana.

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Love those pedestals slg888. Gorgeous.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Jerry Huffaker in Abilene, Texas is one of the best, does it when he says he will and is great to work with. Will provide numbers if you need them. Look him up and his pics of his work can be seen at accuratereloading.com in Taxidermy.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Muy, Jerry has done my stuff for me and I've been very pleased as well. He's done stuff from 2 different trips. I'm friends with the original poster and he has seen my stuff and knows that Jerry does a great job. He's acquiring info now before he goes but I'm glad to see that someone else also recommends Jerry. Fantastic guy.

Lee

Flagg Group in Dallas TX. These folks have been around a very long time. They do a ton of African mounts and are closely associated with the Dallas Safari Club. They are honest and reliable. Edward is a good man.

http://www.theflagggroupinc.com/home.html

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

423 members (1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 160user, 17CalFan, 163bc, 42 invisible), 2,297 guests, and 1,236 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,627
Posts18,474,185
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.