-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have no experience hunting africa, but I do own a CZ550 416 Rigby and I would take it for everything.

Ignorance is not confined to uneducated people.

WHO IS
JOHN GALT?

LIBERTY!

GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
It will do the job! Shoot it until you know the rifle as well as you know thje car you drive every day. You can reach for the radio - headlights - flashers - window switch - door locks - and everything else without looking. When you know your rifle that well you will be one of a small crowd.

Terry

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have over 250 rounds through it, that is a start. I know lots of guys who have not shot their 243 that often.

Ignorance is not confined to uneducated people.

WHO IS
JOHN GALT?

LIBERTY!

B
bcd Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
The 375 H&H> is the best!> Its very accurate and very shootable hits very hard and you can buy it every place that have flies buzzing . Enjoy. and anyone that says 9.3 is just as good is a lier.

Last edited by bcd; 07/06/13.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Why so big of a gun . When a air rifle are use there for small game . I know a man that takes his 300 wby gun

IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by bcd
The 375 H&H> is the best!> Its very accurate and very shootable hits very hard and you can buy it every place that have flies buzzing . Enjoy. and anyone that says 9.3 is just as good is a lier.

Well I think you are the liar. What have you shot with anything including a sling shot. Big mouth. Your mouth is obnoxious. Your a lot less than a know-it-all, just a pretend wannabe.

Beware of thieves, scammers and dishonest members on the "Fire" classifieds. Ya there is a thief here too. Whatever!!

They're all around the CampFire and everywhere.
M
mlg Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
A good Mauser 98 in 9.3x62...........

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
.404 Jeffery

Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
ah, our friend bcd couldn't hang with the 375 discussion regarding bullet weights so he's come over this way to throw his mighty opinion about. nice to see you asshat!

The way life should be.
M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
If I could only have one rifle for the rest of my life it would be the .375 H&H Magnum.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If I could only have one rifle for the rest of my life, I would be very frustrated.

Praise the Lord for full Salvation
Christ Still lives upon the throne
And I know the blood still cleansess
Deeper than the sin has gone
Lester Roloff
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I love medium bores but a second firearm such as a centerfire. 22 or shotgun might be the answer, or an over/under.

Last edited by Carson; 07/11/13.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by medicman
If I could only have one rifle for the rest of my life, I would be very frustrated.

ME TOO...!!

Hope I don't wake up tonight, screaming, having flash backs of such a scenario... shocked

Whew... crazy

That was a close one... blush

DF

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Agreed - the .375 H&H is the only caliber that would work for me if I was - in some insane world - restricted to only one rifle.

Terry

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by bluesman
Agreed - the .375 H&H is the only caliber that would work for me if I was - in some insane world - restricted to only one rifle.

Terry

Yep-will enjoy lugging a 11-12 lb rifle up a mountain after sheep.

Beware of thieves, scammers and dishonest members on the "Fire" classifieds. Ya there is a thief here too. Whatever!!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
With out a second thought, a 375 H+H. plenty of ammo around in places were big game is hunted, heavy enough so that most can shoot it well, light enough to carry on hunts. A Blaser R-8 with a Semi Wt 375 H+H barrel and two sights, a 1.5 -6 x Zeiss and an Aimpoint 2 moa dot, you could put the whole package in a suit case. Ideal for the traveling hunter.

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
30-06 !

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by RinB
30-06 !

When I first read the OP I assumed for everything in Africa up to elephants. With the laws stating a min. of 375 caliber in most countries my choice was the 375 H&H.

"Question for guys that hunt in Africa. If you could have only one rifle for hunting all African game, which caliber would you choose? Thanks for your opinion."

After my response I was curious how long it would be before someone suggest another Medium Bore smaller than 9.3 or .375. (Sorry, I saw the 7X57 response and snickered, not my idea of a good solution, cause my name isn't Bell.)

Now I also would like to say Africa is still just a dream for me and have set my personal arms for such a trip. Yes, I qualify as a wannabe but doesn't make me a bad person. I just haven't had a fortune in my life yet.

I must say that when I first read the op...I thought to myself: Self would a 300H&H work for everything in Africa as well? Since I would be hunting with a PH that, Hopefully, has in his hands an adequate stopping rifle. My answer was, I think so. Think being the key word. Looking back into my memory bank trying to guess how many of the big five were killed over the last century with less than a 9.3 or .375 caliber? Truth be told I have no clue. But if I was forced to guess I'd say a lot more of the big five have been killed with sub 9.3 & .375 cal than killed with this caliber size or larger. Due to the prevalence of military arms though out Africa's long history, primarily 7mm and 303. Today everything I watch on TV I see someone in the gang carrying a AK47.

So, RinB, I believe you have probably chosen one of the most logical calibers for the one rifle for everything in Africa. Especially with the bullets available today and the support of a skilled PH. Although my first choice would be the 300H&H cause it was developed for such hunting, Africa. With large for bore softs and solids I'm pretty sure everything in the world that has flesh and blood could/would be killed by it in the hands of a skilled shooter/hunter.

So here's my questions to the PH's out there: Why put a minimum caliber law on foreign hunters coming to Africa to hunt, when you are aware most can shoot an '06 Springfield more accurately than a .375 cal or larger rifle? Shouldn't that be the minimum requirement for the Professional Hunter and not the recreational hunter?

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Not sure where you arrived at the idea that there are laws for a minimum caliber for Africa. Not true. There is not a minimum caliber law placed on foreign hunters.

Last edited by AlabamaEd; 07/12/13.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Ed, Thanks for pointing that out! Of course I may be all wet, as usual, but I based my comment on a little idea that has been written in books and on the internet...which we all know everything on the net is true! wink Here are some examples: http://www.huntinginafrica.co.za/more-info/minimum-required-caliber/
http://www.farrenglobaladventures.com/Caliber%20Minimums.htm
http://www.intusafaris.com/intu-safari-rifles.cfm

Now I will point out that I could not find anything that says this is the minimum requirements for foreign hunters. Just legal requirements.

According to these sites there are some minimum requirement stated, but is that by law or PH suggestions to foreign hunters?

Last edited by Wild_Bill_375; 07/12/13. Reason: Can't spell!
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

526 members (2003and2013, 1beaver_shooter, 1moredeer, 01Foreman400, 1minute, 1OntarioJim, 62 invisible), 2,618 guests, and 1,355 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,450
Posts18,471,039
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.