Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
D
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
THis was not my mule. My buddy paid for what we were told was a broke mule. Supposedly a veteran of many Grand Canyon trips with dudes on it. He wanted me to ride it this time to see what I thought. I put a bit on it that game me some control and it was a great morning. I just got lax and didn't hold the reins this one time. That is NOT why it took off. It didn't buck hard, mostly just ran away. Absolutely no idea what set it off. It tried the same thing when I got back to the trailer- litterally two strides from being done. I pulled it up and it was over- like nothing happened. Stood there and let me unsaddle etc. Loaded great, had no hot spots on his back- I just don't get it. I don't think the guy will take it back now, he was a dick when we called him the first time and probably would be worse now.

I have done very little arena work- I would generally get green broke colts and teach them to trail ride. I had healers that would make the horses do what I wanted them to; usually they would be afraid on some abstract object and would need a dog to encourage them to go on by. Worked wonders for years. My main horse all those years was a BLM mustang that came out of Nevada -he had white feet too grin

My career got in the way of horses and I had to let them go for a few years. Now I am just helping my buddy out and we have gotten two good mules and two that had a buck in them. I am going to ride this one in the sand and see how he does. They don't run away and can't buck in the sand.

Damnedest thing, I banged my head but now, 2 days later, the blood has all pooled in my eyes and I can hardly see! Doesn't hurt a bit but looks like he!!

This is when I got back to the truck a couple hours after it happened.

[Linked Image]

This is about 50 hours later.

[Linked Image]

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hope you heal up quick. I've only ridden a few mules but I pack a bunch.

I wouldn't get on our oldest most trustworthy dude horse without the reins gathered up. Left hand with the reins gathered up and a handful of mane and right hand around the saddle horn.

If not for safety then do it so you won't look like a farmer.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sure didn't make you any prettier...(snort)

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
D
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
Hey, I found the bulls I was looking for so it's a wash right?

NRA Benefactor Member

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
I think you guys are being a little tough on Dennis. Sure he made a basic error, but schit happens.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
IC B2

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Dennis,
Best wishes to a good recovery.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
. don't think the guy will take it back now, he was a dick when we called him the first time and probably would be worse now.

Sounds to me the money is already spent or he knew there were issues with this mule and wants him gone for good.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Ouch... hope things get better.

Ground work is invaluable. Seems like many steps wre missed on this one. especially the mounting program.

It's been pretty much covered here already but lateral flexion and an emergency break are paramount.

Also a hand full of mane or at least in hand a shortened near side rein when mounting woulda helped.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Miles, there was at least one horse that would hurt you on purpose. I was holding the reins on him while my sister went into the house. He looked around, then down at my bare foot. Picked up his left front hoof and stepped on my foot and leaned on it with all his weight. Wouldn't move until my sister returned and pulled hm off. Only broken bone I've ever had.

He also like to run under low hanging limbs when you rode him. My uncle cured some of that with a short piece of 2x4.

Last edited by websterparish47; 07/08/13.
D
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by Cocadori
Ouch... hope things get better.

Ground work is invaluable. Seems like many steps wre missed on this one. especially the mounting program.

It's been pretty much covered here already but lateral flexion and an emergency break are paramount.

Also a hand full of mane or at least in hand a shortened near side rein when mounting woulda helped.

His mane, typical of mules, was roached off. The whole point was that my buddy thought he bought a completely broke, good mule. This mule has supposedly hauled many a dude to the bottom of the grand canyon where a wreck would be fatal. Initial impressions of the mule were great. He just has developed some quirk and goes off. I initially thought that maybe he falls asleep and wakes up startled but that could hardly be the case when being mounted.

I was completely seated with both feet in the stirrups before he made his move. I couldn't have prevented the buck but I should have been able to stop it- that was my fault.

NRA Benefactor Member

IC B3

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Sure hope you heal fast and well.

Didn't mean to chastise, only offer advice

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Roundoak,
I think you have spent little time with mules.

I ask professional cowboys all the time, "Do you have any experience with mules?" The common reply is "Yeah I was given a rank mule to ride once and it was a terrible experience and I never rode one again." The good ones rarely end up in a cavvy somewhere out in the middle of nowhere.

Last edited by ppine; 07/08/13.

The only cure for life and death is to enjoy the interval.
George Santayana
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
He also like to run under low hanging limbs when you rode him.

Had a mule that would do that if he caught you not paying attention. Same mule would buck when you were trying to mount, if he thought you were too relaxed about it. Never bucked when you were already mounted. I broke him and his team mate to ride when I was around ten to twelve years old. My Dad bought the team for work mules and they had never been ridden. The team mate was a good steady riding mule. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Hope you heal fast Dennis. Tough crowd here! laugh

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
D
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by ironbender

No kidding!!

I look worse today that I did yesterday. I can hardly stand to open my eyes. This really sucks!

NRA Benefactor Member

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
Originally Posted by ironbender

No kidding!!

I look worse today that I did yesterday.
I can hardly stand to open my eyes. This really sucks!

As alluded to above, when did you look good?

sorry. That's mean, especially coming from...me.

Try wet tea bags that have cooled, on your eyes..

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ironbender,
Very interesting to see you being empathetic of all people.
"People that work around livestock get hurt......all the time.
Baxter Black

Several red flags in the original post which is why he didn't get that much empathy.
1. new mule
2. already bucked off new owner
3. reins on the saddlehorn, the biggest mistake you can make.
4. doesn't respect mules and their brainpower

The only cure for life and death is to enjoy the interval.
George Santayana
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Hell I wasn't being tough. just honest. I'd want the same if I made mistakes too.

My take is there were warning signs, flashing in fact. Then there was the unprepared thing.

When you least expect it..expect it.. but at least don't go unexpecting or unprepared.

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by ppine
Ironbender,
Very interesting to see you being empathetic of all people.
"People that work around livestock get hurt......all the time.
Baxter Black

Several red flags in the original post which is why he didn't get that much empathy.
1. new mule
2. already bucked off new owner
3. reins on the saddlehorn, the biggest mistake you can make.
4. doesn't respect mules and their brainpower

Interesting, why? Because I give you $hit from time to time because of your politics and attitude? That is what strikes me as your position.

Dennis has been here a long time and been around stock. He has earned my respect (FWIW) as a rider and outdoorsman.

Did he make mistakes? I think he admitted that.

Does he need to be castigated as a dumshit? Naw.

He's OK and welcome here. wink again, FWIW.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Chaulk this episode up to experience and learn from it. People that actually do things make mistakes from time to time.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

563 members (1234, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 1OntarioJim, 222Sako, 1lessdog, 60 invisible), 2,441 guests, and 1,313 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,154
Posts18,484,287
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.