Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Tim B-

I happen to agree with your assertion regarding the mismatch of bullet and cartridge. I hear a lot of stories of bullets popping like corn on impact when shot from high-velocity cartridges, and I have no reason to doubt them. I don't like a lot of recoil or noise though, so I don't shoot magnums at big game. I like cheap and accurate bullets, and cup&cores are certainly that. Too much of what I hear seems like marketing hype to me: 'Magnum! You need a magnum!' and its corollary 'The cheapest part of the hunt is the bullet, so let's change that!'

I wouldn't trust what is printed, as it is advertising, regardless of which bullet company prints it. The guys who make the bullets and the guys selling the bullets are not the same guys anymore, and they get paid for different things. Pick what you think you want and try it out. If it works, you may have a new favorite. That is what being a Loonie is all about.

I have no doubt that really tough controlled-expansion bullets kill game, and well. I just eschew that they have never been necessary for most killing.

Last edited by HuntnShoot; 07/08/13.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Tim_B

One of the few deer I killed with my 7mag took 5 shots, all through & through all in the vitals last and I believe the last one was in the head.

This is a somewhat startling statement.

Tim - I would stick with the 7Mag, as it is a very versatile and mainstream cartridge (in 7mm to boot grin) As far as shots at 30yrds, I'd say use a mono such as the Barnes as speed is king with those.

Other bullets seem to react oddly at 'high velocities' and close range.

Certainly not the wrong cartridge, as the headstamp has little to do with it. Look at the bullet you want to use and how fast you want to push it. Then focus on headstamp to achieve desired results.

The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment. � WARREN G. BENNIS
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot
Tim B-

I happen to agree with your assertion regarding the mismatch of bullet and cartridge. I hear a lot of stories of bullets popping like corn on impact when shot from high-velocity cartridges, and I have no reason to doubt them. I don't like a lot of recoil or noise though, so I don't shoot magnums at big game. I like cheap and accurate bullets, and cup&cores are certainly that. Too much of what I hear seems like marketing hype to me: 'Magnum! You need a magnum!' and its corollary 'The cheapest part of the hunt is the bullet, so let's change that!'

I wouldn't trust what is printed, as it is advertising, regardless of which bullet company prints it. The guys who make the bullets and the guys selling the bullets are not the same guys anymore, and they get paid for different things. Pick what you think you want and try it out. If it works, you may have a new favorite. That is what being a Loonie is all about.

I have no doubt that really tough controlled-expansion bullets kill game, and well. I just eschew that they have never been necessary for most killing.

Well written.

The magnum thing, IMHO, should be for those that either have no choice or desire no choice. IE drew a tag of a lifetime, flew 4000 miles, only have a few days to hunt, and so on. IE those that want to be able to take whatever shot offered rather than tag soup.

If not for those feelings myself some days.... I think most anything I desire coudl be done with a 243 Win and a 100 grain cup and core. Though I"d take teh 85tsx over that any day.

Bottom line is what you need to get done. And what you desire. If you let that solve teh answer to the question then you will have the right round and bullet. Rather than listening to the advertisements etc....

Never been much of an advertisement man myself. Tend to research and learn and then choose.

Some folks tend to not want that hassle and want the newest and bestest....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
i'll still have a 284 bullet in my collection...just not a "magnum"

going with a 280 ackley to replace the 7mag

I think the problem that the average hunter (me included before trying to educate myself more) gets into and loses game is they fall into the bullet/ammo mfg's hands and don't educate themselves. I went 7mag for bear hunting, but wanted to kill something so I took it deer hunting used a different bullet than those for bear but now that I've learned more, a more expensive bullet (probably something tipped?) would have done better since the tip would have helped to encourage faster expansion.

I went with a winchester XP2 figured rated for deer good to go.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by rost495
Tim B-

Well written.

The magnum thing, IMHO, should be for those that either have no choice or desire no choice. IE drew a tag of a lifetime, flew 4000 miles, only have a few days to hunt, and so on. IE those that want to be able to take whatever shot offered rather than tag soup.

If not for those feelings myself some days.... I think most anything I desire coudl be done with a 243 Win and a 100 grain cup and core. Though I"d take teh 85tsx over that any day.

Bottom line is what you need to get done. And what you desire. If you let that solve teh answer to the question then you will have the right round and bullet. Rather than listening to the advertisements etc....

Never been much of an advertisement man myself. Tend to research and learn and then choose.

Some folks tend to not want that hassle and want the newest and bestest....

I have spent a lot of time and energy the last decade trying to unlearn much of what I learned in the 1st 3 decades of my life. 5 years of university psychology classes showed me that we live in a world of marketing, and we are all selling something. The main choice we have is what we buy. I buy that good enough is just as good as perfect- for just about everything.

IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
HuntnShoot,

I've seen a pile of Bergers shot into big game, and have seen a few not exit--but I have yet to see one "blow up" and not penetrate inside an animal, even when they hit fairly heavy bone. Instead they've all done what's described by Berger: Slide in like a knitting needle for a couple of inches or so, then tear the hell out of things.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Mule Deer-

Yeah I read of your experience- in New Zealand? and it was partly your write-up that convinced me to try Bergers in my gun. I am completely sold and very satisfied so far. And I am getting fabulous accuracy. Have yet to shoot them really far, which was the point for me: to make my '06 into a legitimate 600 yd gun for big game. I could have bought a faster cartridge, but there were many reasons, sentimental and logical, why I got what I got. I still may get a fast 7, but I will likely want to shoot Bergers in that one too.

I like the fast killing and accurate shooting that many who use Berger tout, and I like that I don't have to spend a buck a bullet to shoot something I have supreme confidence in.

I can't recall seeing any bullet blow up on the surface of any animal ever, but like I said, I have no reason to doubt others' claims to their own experience, and I keep hearing it, generally on the internet.

Maybe it is in my nature to be contrary at times, and that is why I am a cup&core guy, in the middle of all of the premium hoopla. I am sure that I don't care whether there is an exit hole, or how the bullet looks like if I find it, other to be interested in what happened to it on it's journey because I loove those details . I am interested in quick kills and well-placed shots. That has been my MO.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
i'll still have a 284 bullet in my collection...just not a "magnum"

going with a 280 ackley to replace the 7mag

I think the problem that the average hunter (me included before trying to educate myself more) gets into and loses game is they fall into the bullet/ammo mfg's hands and don't educate themselves. I went 7mag for bear hunting, but wanted to kill something so I took it deer hunting used a different bullet than those for bear but now that I've learned more, a more expensive bullet (probably something tipped?) would have done better since the tip would have helped to encourage faster expansion.

I went with a winchester XP2 figured rated for deer good to go.

Tim, I don't know why you had that experience with that deer and that bullet from that gun. Seems like it should have worked just fine. From what I understand, the xp3 are softer than the failsafe they replaced, and deer are thin-skinned in general, specifically across the the ribs. Those bullets should have opened up and done a lot of damage before exiting. Animals react differently to being shot, that is for sure. I like the 7 mag for hunting, and have seen only one bullet failure. A green box core-lokt broadside on a doe at 30 yds just zipped through. She acted like she got struck by lightning, and while we were all high-fiving, she stood up and trotted away. It was right at dusk, and she was over a fenceline and out of sight in what seemed like seconds. There was hair where she went down, but no blood anywhere. I watched the impact. She was hit a bit high, and a bit back of the shoulder. I have gathered that the bullet didn't expand, missed anything vital, but shocked the spine, stunning her. It certainly happens. I chock up that failure to hunter rather than bullet.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I think some people think too much. I'm in the camp of people ought to shoot whatever they want to as long as they're proficient with it. For me, app 250 head of big game are all the advertisement I need to tell me the 7mag is bad medicine. I'm not too concerned with those that are anti magnum.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
HuntnShoot-

your comment makes me think of my previous bullet problems.... I think I just had the wrong caliber for the job. 7mag was going too fast at 30yards with the bullet I was using.

which is yet another reason for reloading, selling the 7mag, and paying a lot of attention to bullet choice (currently leaning heavy on Nosler & Barnes, Nosler will show you a picture of their performance at 3000fps, 2800fps, 2000fps and I feel that should help a new reloader choose which rifle & bullet for the job and to what distances the bullet will potentially preform the best)

Tim the answer to your "problem" isn't a new rifle in a different chambering....certainly not going from a 7RM to a 280AI which will solve......nothing..... smile.

5 shots into a deer with a 7 magnum tells me the bullets were not particularly well placed and a different cartridge will not help that situation at all.

If by saying the bullets were going "too fast" at 30 yards that they failed to penetrate,you might want to consider a different bullet..I have never seen a deer or anything else take a chest shot from a 7mm magnum and stay on its feet very long.

The only way to tell how a given bullet kills animals is to shoot animals with it.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
IC B3

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I think 5 bullets through the lungs producing 5 holes that were the same size on entry and exit says the bullet passed right through and all 5 were within a pie-plate sized diameter

to me that says wrong bullet, going too fast to have a chance to expand

i have other reasons for selling the 7mag, but that is just an example of mine saying bullet and caliber choice are an important factor

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I think 5 bullets through the lungs producing 5 holes that were the same size on entry and exit says the bullet passed right through and all 5 were within a pie-plate sized diameter

i have other reasons for selling the 7mag, but that is just an example of mine saying bullet and caliber choice are an important factor

I've never been a fan of the 7mm magnum. In the real world, there is little that a 7mm Remington magnum will do that a .30/06 won't do. And the .30/06 will do it with less blast and recoil. I don't own a 7mm magnum and never will.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by BobinNH
HuntnShoot-

your comment makes me think of my previous bullet problems.... I think I just had the wrong caliber for the job. 7mag was going too fast at 30yards with the bullet I was using.

which is yet another reason for reloading, selling the 7mag, and paying a lot of attention to bullet choice (currently leaning heavy on Nosler & Barnes, Nosler will show you a picture of their performance at 3000fps, 2800fps, 2000fps and I feel that should help a new reloader choose which rifle & bullet for the job and to what distances the bullet will potentially preform the best)

Tim the answer to your "problem" isn't a new rifle in a different chambering....certainly not going from a 7RM to a 280AI which will solve......nothing..... smile.

5 shots into a deer with a 7 magnum tells me the bullets were not particularly well placed and a different cartridge will not help that situation at all.

If by saying the bullets were going "too fast" at 30 yards that they failed to penetrate,you might want to consider a different bullet..I have never seen a deer or anything else take a chest shot from a 7mm magnum and stay on its feet very long.

The only way to tell how a given bullet kills animals is to shoot animals with it.

This +10.
I don't like samples or examples of 1 to base conclusions on. Shooting factory ammo testifies to your level of experience. I been killing deer and antelope with handloaded 7mm Rem Mag since I was 15 years old. Lots of animals. Part of growing up and older is realizing mistakes and personal inadequacies of your OWN performance instead of blaming mechanical failure of objects or tools improperly used as excuses. 5 shots thru the lungs bullshit and well you think maybe the last one hit it in the head? I tell you what, TimB and HuntnShoot your full of crap. Magnum Man

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Mule Deer-

Yeah I read of your experience- in New Zealand? and it was partly your write-up that convinced me to try Bergers in my gun. I am completely sold and very satisfied so far. And I am getting fabulous accuracy. Have yet to shoot them really far, which was the point for me: to make my '06 into a legitimate 600 yd gun for big game. I could have bought a faster cartridge, but there were many reasons, sentimental and logical, why I got what I got. I still may get a fast 7, but I will likely want to shoot Bergers in that one too.

I like the fast killing and accurate shooting that many who use Berger tout, and I like that I don't have to spend a buck a bullet to shoot something I have supreme confidence in.

I can't recall seeing any bullet blow up on the surface of any animal ever, but like I said, I have no reason to doubt others' claims to their own experience, and I keep hearing it, generally on the internet.

Maybe it is in my nature to be contrary at times, and that is why I am a cup&core guy, in the middle of all of the premium hoopla. I am sure that I don't care whether there is an exit hole, or how the bullet looks like if I find it, other to be interested in what happened to it on it's journey because I loove those details . I am interested in quick kills and well-placed shots. That has been my MO.

I get that you don't care about an exit hole or what a bullet looks like if found. Just if the deer is dead.

But just consider this at least for a bit before dismissing that.

Lets say you shoot all your animals in the lungs like a lot of folks do. And what you find is quickly dead, no exit and just bullet fragments here and there IF that.

What do you suppose will happen when the next deer you see, a bit further off but in range, and only gives you a hard quartering shot. And its the biggest buck you've ever seen in your life.

Will you smack him hard in the front shoulder? Without thinking? And assume you'll get penetration plenty?

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I've deliberately shot a couple of mulies in the shoulder blade, with the little .257" 115 gr Berger VLD hunting bullet.

Worked great. Zipped right through the shoulder. Destroyed the lungs. Instant drop. No exit. That was okay by me.

That said, next summer I'm taking Noslers to Africa.

Either Accubond, or Partition, depending.

Regards, Guy

C
CLB Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C

Tim, this has peaked my curiosity more than a little bit. Can you please state what bullet exactly you used 5 times in the lungs of a deer. I am making no attempt to ruffle feathers here but I'm also trying to figure out how you had enough time to score 5 hits like that.

I can see some Nosler Partitions in your near future.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
It has been a few years, but Winchester XP2's since winchester was the only factory ammo I could get to group out of the rifle.

the second shot would have been shoulder because it broke bone (still no expansion) first shot I'm guessing a bit behind the shoulder.

as to the shooting factory ammo testifies to level of experience... I don't think there is anything wrong with using factory ammo if you understand what that particular round requires for adequate expansion. I'm not trying to say it's the gun's fault at all.... I'm just saying I think a lot of people fall into the same problem that I did: wrong bullet caliber combo, handloading can resolve that but when you are limited to what is on the shelf and what the gun likes you look at the box and see what it is "rated" for and figure it must work.

I too can see some Noslers in my future

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Magnum_Man
I tell you what, TimB and HuntnShoot your full of crap. Magnum Man

Gotta agree.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
When I go to Africa, I will use a 300magnum of some sort stoked with 180gr Nosler Ballistic Tips. Just to piss the bullet snobs off.
Rost, in the scenario you painted above I would not hesitate to put a BT into the shoulder,especially on deer. I have done so on elk with a BT and it worked great and Zero tracking.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by BWalker
When I go to Africa, I will use a 300magnum of some sort stoked with 180gr Nosler Ballistic Tips. Just to piss the bullet snobs off.
Rost, in the scenario you painted above I would not hesitate to put a BT into the shoulder,especially on deer. I have done so on elk with a BT and it worked great and Zero tracking.

Pardon me for asking, but have you ever actually BEEN to Africa?

I admire you for being willing to spend a great deal of money on a safari just so you can prove that a bullet most experienced african hunters view as sub-optimal actually works on african game at magnum velocities. Bravo!

My suggestion is to invest in a good pair of boots--Courtney's or Russel PH's--because it would appear you will be doing a great deal of walking during follow ups.

When is your safari scheduled?

Please let us know how it works out for you.

Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

334 members (007FJ, 160user, 1lesfox, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 12344mag, 26 invisible), 1,952 guests, and 1,111 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,391
Posts18,469,848
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.