Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
D
djb Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by elkhunter130
I do like the Go-Light Poncho idea but not if you are moving around or going through timber. I have torn up more gear than anyone would want to pay for on rocks, trees, quads, treestands, and brush. I just do not to replace my gear every year.

Yes, I don't really try to move in the poncho. I will literally sit and wait out the rain unless I am wearing it while carrying a heavy pack like hiking in to base camp.

The truth angers those whom it does not convince
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yea and those ponchos look sweet for a bunch of stuff.

I want one.

"A .358 Norma Mag is not for everyone but then again Bear hunting isn't either."

Unknown Bear guide on the Kodiak coast
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I've had great luck with Sierra Designs Hurricane series.

Wanted: Vintage Remington or Winchester hats, patches, shirts. PM me if you have something.

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
Originally Posted by kutenay
Fair enough, my comments were based on ownership/use of several articles made from eVent and these are/have been in daily use over a period of several years.

My experience, with several shells, from the highend makers, using the different "wpb" fabrics, from 1977-'78 to lat week and in the wettest area of North America, BC, is that IF any of these become even slighly contaminated with any sort of "soil", they can and usually will allow liquid moisture through.

But, again, I wear my shells, on average, at least 200 days per year and have found that a washing/treatment at least once per year and with the ID Thru Hiker, eVent, really does improve their functional performance.

It is also considerably wetter and warmer here than where you are and so I suspect that just my sweat contaminates my shells more rapidly than might be the case in a dryer locale. JMHO/E.

Yeah, I was excited about the eVent stuff at first, but it's back to the old Impertech.
This guy is still sticking with Impertech
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlMVkCygEPI

Last edited by elelbean; 07/07/13.
L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
I was talking to Dick Robertson ( http://www.robertsonstykbow.com/ ) in June, and asked him what he uses for rain gear when he goes to Alaska. He swore by Red Ledge. He said it didn't come in camo color as far as he knew, but it was great rain gear that didn't break the bank. I am heading to BC at the end of August to film a hunt for a buddy, and will be taking Dick's advise and picking up a set for the trip.

Levi

IC B2

K
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
K
Another wet-side Pacific Northwester here...

Look into some Columbia Big Game Terrain Jacket/Pants. Retails for $800 for both, my awesome wife scored the jacket and pants for $100 each. I don't pay full price for anything. For $800, I'd just never buy it (or much of anything), but it's awesome for what I paid. Hunted torrential downpours consistently for 2 weeks with no soak-through bone dry! Material is fairly tough (I'm a bit careful, knowing what it's worth). About 2 lbs for the system and the jacket dries out pretty quick. I'd rate it as a legit mountain hardshell system with the right layers underneath and it breathes great for warmer conditions.

Sierra Trading Post has had it for a while - might be able to score with a coupon deal/sale.

The higher end Columbia stuff is top-notch (not talking about the department store grade). Their outlet stores are money if you are close to one.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

554 members (1minute, 160user, 10ring1, 1234, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 63 invisible), 2,386 guests, and 1,358 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,160
Posts18,484,333
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.