Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 10 of 15 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 14 15
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by woods
You know me rc, I say "WHO NEEDS TURRETS??!!" (except on my Multi-Zeros and they are verified by shooting and then marked not recalculated and recranked each time.

Yep. You'll learn someday! grin

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by JohnBurns
Why yes, as your statement is unclear. Please pay particular attention to the math of determining the precise change in POI (within .25�) with 2 shots from a 2 MOA rifle.

How about we call it a 5 MOA rifle? Then every scope you put on the thing passes the test with flying colors! If it prints a small group several inches away from where it is supposed to be, it�s still well within the 5 MOA precision of the rifle so the scope is fine! Another great Leupold!

Come on, John. It�s starting to get very used-car-salesman-ish in here.

You guys are acting as if that's the only Leupold he has ever seen. If you had actually read any of his posts you'd know he in no way jumped to a conclusion based upon one test of one scope. You wanted pictures, he gave them. Then you attack the pictures. Surprise, surprise.

if you notice I don�t get all huffy when someone calls me a liar. I just consider the source, an anonymous poster on the internet. laugh

There�s nothing anonymous about me. I post under the same username on every board, and on every board have a link in the sig. Though I see the mods have deleted that on this board. They don�t like me. The truth hurts. wink It�s restored in my profile.

Originally Posted by rcamuglia
I'm calling him a liar no more than he is calling JB or I a liar after we have posted plenty of tangible long range evidence that he evidently thinks resulted from imaginary dialing and imaginary shooting.

There�s a big difference. He was talking about his own experiences, not calling your shots BS. You aren�t talking about your own experiences, you�re saying his are BS. Big difference.
Does your bias let you see only his side as well?

No bias required. I simply thought yours and John�s pile-on of a good guy was without merit and uncalled for.
Mounted a Mark 4 6.5-20 LR/ERT M5A2 FF this year and use the prior scope as a back up. Finished 13th at the SHC and Runner Up at the Steel Safari.

So, you�re using a 34mm tube $2400 scope. So when people say they see lots of $300 hunting scopes with turrets on top have issues, they must be making things up because your 34mm Tube $2400 scope works well. Do you not see how that logic won�t fly with those people?

As an aside, does this mean there was not a single 30mm tube Leupold in the top 20 at the SH Cup this year? Not even one that you know of? What does that tell you?
with a Mark 4 8.5-25 LR/ERT FF. The one with MOA knobs and the TMR that prarie goat dislikes

OK, now this is a bit more relevant. So you have used one of their 30mm tube variables extensively (albeit a new and expensive one) and it performed perfectly. That�s great! Congratulations! We are all so very happy for you!

But it�s an example of one. By no stretch of reasonable logic does it disprove the hundreds others have seen first hand not perform perfectly.
How is all of this possible with a scope that some here say sucks, doesn't track, has inaccurate click values and a canted reticle?

Nobody said YOUR particular scope has a canted reticle or does not track properly. Yet if you believe since your one example does not, this is some sort of proof the hundreds of scopes seen by others with these issues somehow don�t exist, you have a failure of logic.

Only the most twisted fan-boy type of logic can make such a leap.

They are statistical measures. It's not that complicated. Those who have dealt with hundreds or even thousands in civilian or military training schools, enough to see every brand fail, have a statistically significant population upon which to draw conclusions about statistical measures.

That's where the term failure rate comes from. You are familiar with what the term "rate" means, correct? It describes a percentage of the population in which failures occur. A percentage. Even with a high failure rate, many examples in a population will no fall in the percentage in which failure occurs. Your example of one falls into this category. And if you passed grade school math, you'll understand that proves nothing about the overall population.

Much less, that the population has a failure rate of ZERO. That's what you're trying to argue here. Do you have any idea how ridiculous that sounds?
I won't say, "It's funny that...." the Leupold Hate Club give one of their own a pass to calling JB's character into question, because JonA might not like it, so I'll state it another way.

It's funny that the Leupold Haters ignore Formidilosus post calling JB's character into question and basically calls him a Liar, but when I question the integrity of Formid's "testing", I sure as heck am calling Formid' a Liar.

Yes, you did goad him into stooping to your level. Congratulations. I would put it differently, however. I would say the difference could also be described as differing standards, along with some good salesmanship.

For example, if I recall correctly, John advises his customers with his scopes to dial beyond their required dope, then to dial back down to the desired value.

To some that may be considered standard operating procedure.

To others that�s a crutch to cover for scopes that don�t track worth a damn.

In which camp do you fall?

I know you couldn�t give me a scope which needed to be used in this manor in order to track accurately to shoot a match with or even live with casually because it would bother the crap out of me. And I�m not in a line of work where my life depends on the thing, you can just imagine the opinion of those who are.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
From what can be gleaned from your long-winded post doing nothing but parroting other's arguments and experiences, it's quite apparent you are nothing but a wanna be.

As soon as you can bring something to this conversation other than what others have told you, you'll get feedback from me.

Until then...

[Linked Image]

Shot with a 400$ Leupold

This...

[Linked Image]

The same scope that tracked perfectly for a first round spanking of this:

[Linked Image]

And then continues to do this to this day:

565 yds...

[Linked Image]

760 yds...

[Linked Image]

BTW, the glass on my VX2's I'll gladly put up against any EuroTrash scope made. And function....

The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I'll take John's long range prowess every day of the week and twice on Sunday, but not necessarily his opinion of a Leup. This is nothing personal, just business so to speak. No salesman is going to badmouth their only product. I am making no insinuations regarding Leup scopes, John's ability, or character, only that I take John's opinion of them with a grain of salt. If he were not profiting from them it'd be entirely different.

Formidilosus is in the business of abusing scopes. I am not skeptical of his expertise and he has no other agenda (selling scopes). I have experienced Leup tracking issues and failures at a rate much greater than I would like. Formidilosus' assertions surprise me none.

rcamuglia......well.....he shoots an A Bolt..........

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ctsmith

rcamuglia......well.....he shoots an A Bolt..........

Ha! One of the most accurate rifles I own. Must be the cheap Leupold making it shine!

1/2" 600 yard group...

[Linked Image]

More Tangible evidence that Leupold works:

1520 yard 5-shot group from a .300 WM with the VARIABLE 8.5-25 Mark 4 LR/ERT FF M5...

[Linked Image]

Gonna try some videos with different scopes on the jig.

Should be enlightening for the rookies.

IC B2

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Been busy....

[Linked Image]

There was no purposely putting the Leupold on a POS gun. The Leupold was put on the gun it was because it was available. We were not there to shoot LR or groups. rcamuglia asked for targets so I went out during a break and shot some. That gun has just over 4k rounds on it and averages right at 1.4 MOA for 10 round groups with MK262 MOD1. It gets grouped weekly for score. It averaged 1.2 MOA for 10 rounds when new.

The 5 round zeroing target was just over an inch. Then it was immediately shot on the bottom dot for "tracking". Can't say why the group was that big. There were 3 shots on the top dot. One was just off the edge of the IPSC target. I did in fact measure the group, was just over 1.2 inches.

It doesn't matter if it's a .6 inch group or a 6 inch group. Mean point of impact (group) is mean point of impact. Tell yourself whatever you want , that Leupold did not adjust correctly, did not return to zero and has a canted reticle.

I will not "dial past and then back down" to insure that the scope adjusts. That's a bandaid for a weak erector system.

Leupold has never won an open military scope contract for their variable Mark 4's. Ever. Mark 8, yes. Mark 6, yes. Mark 4, no. The 3.5-10x40mm M3 LR on the M110 is a package from Knight. The 4.5-14x50 LR M1 on the M107 is a package from Barrett. Etc....

John, you called me a liar when you said that I was bluffing. You either have the most magical Leupolds on the planet, or......

SOTIC, Benning, Camp Robinson, the SEALs, and probably the civilian school that sees the most US SOF snipers (other than Accuracy 1st) Rifles Only, all report the same thing: Leupolds develop more problems per capita than all other scopes combined. The reason is simple- they took a hunting scope that was never made for repeated dialing and truly rough use, rebadged it and called it tactical.

I have and currently still use several Leupolds. One needs 18 MOA dialed to adjust 12MOA..... But hey, it adjusts consistently and stays zeroed so it's awesome, right? A 6-18x40 TT has had the erector assembly replaced twice. The fixed powered Leupolds are truly great hunting scopes and I recommend them heartedly. For the cost of variable Mark 4's or their hunting scopes with turrets there are better, more reliable scopes available IME....

I see a lot of rounds fired a year. Between the military, competition and training my annual round count alone is north of 30K. From my and my buddy's/mates experience I recommend these scopes- Night Force NXS, Hensoldt, SWFA SS, Bushnell HDMR, and Leupold Fixed power Mark 4's. These scopes consistently give solid service with little drama.

If you have one that works, great. So do I. Use it, beat it up, but don't pretend that they don't have a higher rate of failure than others.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
From what can be gleaned from your long-winded post doing nothing but parroting other's arguments and experiences, it's quite apparent you are nothing but a wanna be.

As soon as you can bring something to this conversation other than what others have told you, you'll get feedback from me.

As expected, when you finally realize your fanboy-twisted-logic argument is laughable and hopelessly outmatched, you give up and resort to name-calling once again.

It's good though, thanks. I'll be sure to let all the people who finish behind me at my next match I didn't really beat them--"I'm a wanna be. Rick says so. Somebody else was obviously telling my bullets where to go." I'm sure that'll make them feel better.
BTW, the glass on my VX2's I'll gladly put up against any EuroTrash scope made. And function....

See, if you actually meant that you'd feel no need for a $2400 34mm tube Leupold and you'd shoot all your Precision Rifle matches with the VX2. But you won't, it's only internet fanboy talk. Just make sure if you do to dial way past your mark and back down to it every time....

One more question: If I shoot at a coyote at 930 yds and miss, then I shoot at another one, then another one...I shoot and miss at 99 coyotes...but I actually hit the 100th coyote at 930 yds and take a pic....

How does that pic look any different than if I had hit the first one I shot at?

Last edited by JonA; 07/09/13. Reason: add "pic is proof" question
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
And just to be clear- I have never used a GreyBull Leupold. They have different specs and may be the greatest scopes Leupold has ever made, I don't know. I'm speaking to the ones you get off the shelf and issued scopes.

I'm not selling anything, nor do I have anything to gain from stating this other than people getting the best gear that they can.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Formid,

You mentioned the Vortex Razor before, but you left them off of the list of scopes you recommend. How has the Razor stacked up to the SWFA SS and Bushnell HDMR, etc, in your experience?

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Jordan, I wondered the same thing. Here's a quote I found from Formidilosus.

As far as Vortex.... My partner was a sponsored shooter for Vortex for a while (so consequently I used them). We had two 5-20 Razors go down on us in matches. Both with the same issue. If you put more than 12 in/lbs of torque on the scope rings it crushes the tube to the point where it locks the parallax adjustment up. Both times were exactly the same- everything was working fine and then in the middle of a stage the gun goes boom and everything went blurry. Turning the parallax knob did not adjust it at all. Loosen the rings up and POP it works.

The first time it happened was to Jeff. Vortex told him his rings were to tight, so we loosened them to 15-16 in/lbs. The second time was to me. We took them to the range and played with it and anything more than 12-13 in/lbs and you risked it locking up. After that he had a 1-4x Razor lose zero in a major 3-Gun match and left Vortex.

The first Viper PST's I played with were very cheesy. The power rings could be twisted fore and aft about 1/16th to almost 1/8th of an inch showing a gap front and back. Now I've heard that they have fixed them, but I also see that there are quite a few with issues still.

I'm not trying to badmouth them but for me, given the issues I've had and the fact that there are truly bombproof scopes both below and just above the Vortex price points I skip right over them.

IC B3

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by ctsmith
I'll take John's long range prowess every day of the week and twice on Sunday, but not necessarily his opinion of a Leup. This is nothing personal, just business so to speak. No salesman is going to badmouth their only product.

+1

The last time I was at the Toyota dealer, the salesman did not tell me how great Nissans were.

The general consensus on Leupolds has always been "they are not that great of glass, don't track correctly, and their adjustments are usually not accurate...but they are light and have a great warranty"

They are what they are, get over it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Formidilosus

John, you called me a liar when you said that I was bluffing.

25 1/4 MOA is 26.436 inches at 100 yards. That Leupold with 25 1/4 MOA of elevation actually adjusted 28 inches and a bit at 100 yards. That is a 5.77% error.

That group of 2 shots darn sure is not �28 inches and a bit�.

[Linked Image]

Here is a little more math that is interesting.

If one expected 25.25 Inches at 100yds but actually got 26.7 inches that would equal a 5.77% error.

Why would you place your dot for 7Mils/24 MOA/25.2 inches (looks to me the dot is really 25 inches) at 100yds and then dial the Leupold optic to an arbitrary 25.25 MOA??

If comparing 3 optics why would you not dial all the optic the same amount??

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

I will not "dial past and then back down" to insure that the scope adjusts. That's a bandaid for a weak erector system.

Dude, have you actually BEEN to SOTIC? Rick Boucher didn't teach you that.

Did you learn not to "dial back down" from the same guy who taught you to lube an M4 with a grease gun?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I just finished a completely OBJECTIVE test of two scopes that I own. A Leupold VX3 6.5-20 40mm LR with target knobs that I sent to Leupold to have the VHR changed out to the TMR, and a Nightforce NXS 3.5-15 50mm F1 that I picked up off of the prize table at the Steel Safari.

First, here are some data on the scopes:

COST

Leupold Retail $949.00*

[Linked Image]

Nightforce Retail $2567.00

[Linked Image]

*this will prove to be very important grin

RETICLE SUBTENSION ACCURACY

Leupold TMR: Perfect

1 mil = 1 mil
5 mils = 5 mils

Wanted to video the tracking and click value accuracy of each, but I couldn't find anything to hold or mount the camera perfectly behind the eyepiece while I ran the knobs. So, I just took a photo of the view at the board through each scope's eyepiece to illustrate the method used. Note the position of the MIL marks on the right side of the board and each reticle. The left side of the board is set up for MOA.

[Linked Image]

Nighforce R 2.0: Not perfect but negligible. Only off the width of a reticle line starting at 4 MIL mark. The Illuminated Reticle is cool! The reticle is a tad more sophisticated with different subtensions for accurate ranging.

[Linked Image]

CLICK VALUE ACCURACY

Leupold VX3:.25 MOA adjustments True Click Value out to 45 MOA = .24725 MOA

Nightforce NXS: .1 MIL adjustments True Click Value out to 12 MILs = .10169 MILs

Both excellent

TRACKING

Leupold VX3 : Tracking on the vertical line of travel perfect to 45 MOA, then slight straying from the vertical line gradually increasing till the full adjustment range stopped the knob.

Nightforce NXS: Tracking on the vertical line of travel perfect till the end of adjustment range was reached.

RETURN TO ZERO

Both scopes returned to Zero perfectly

OPTICAL QUALITY

Both scopes were excellent. Slight edge given to the Leupold.

Given the Nightforce was only 15 power and the Leupold is 20 power, I would have thought the edge would have gone to the Nightforce. The Leupold was brighter at every power level and very noticable edge when comparing each at max power.

POI CHANGE WITH POWER SELECTOR CHANGE

Both scopes had no change in POI.

The difference has to do with how the power selector functions. The Nightforce NXS power selector is the entire eyepiece. The whole thing must be grabbed and turned to select a setting. This makes using scope caps inconvenient because they turn with the eyepiece and interfere with the stock and bolt throw.

The Leupold power selector is separate from the eyepiece.

WEIGHT

Leupold VX3 : 18oz

Nightforce NXS : 32oz

The physical reports:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

CONCLUSIONS

Both Riflescopes are of excellent quality and function and when in use I doubt the user could discern any difference between the two. The max power of the Nightforce of only 15X really is a handicap in any long range game. The Representative from Nightforce was at a Precision Match my gunsmith attended and actually apologized to the shooters at the meeting for not producing a scope with higher magnification for the Precision game.

The weight differences between the two scopes is obvious and would preclude me from choosing the Nightforce for a hunting rifle. It would be fine for a competition rifle where weight is not too much of a problem

The Reticle differences are negligible. The Nightforce has a more sophisticated reticle for ranging, but generally would be a feature not used much under time constraints. The Leupold TMR is simple and solid and dead nuts perfect as far as subtension is concerned.

*Cost is where the major difference lies. In my estimation, the Leupold at less than 1/2 cost of the Nightforce is a far better value.

I was happy to find that I have two great scopes ready to use.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Go beat them around a bit and report back.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The Nightforce was brand new out of the box. The VX3 has been on 4 different rifles over a 6 year period and has been beaten, if you can call normal use a "beating".

It has been fired on a 243 WSSM, .264 Winchester Magnum, .300 Winchester Magnum.

After the reticle change, it will live on a custom .300 WM hunting rifle.

smile

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Looks like the optics forum has branched out......

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Threads "morph"...

LOL

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Threads "morph"...

LOL

On the 'fire? This must be a first!

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
When indisputable fact is posted also, it does seem to put the "Kaibosh" on a thread that a bunch of Keyboard Experts have posted on!

LO [bleep] L!

Page 10 of 15 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 14 15

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

644 members (01Foreman400, 17Hunter, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 1936M71, 10gaugeman, 69 invisible), 2,660 guests, and 1,311 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,602
Posts18,473,624
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.