Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1,152 of 1,842 1 2 1150 1151 1152 1153 1154 1841 1842
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
He's doing well Jeff, thanks for asking. He's very busy on his own car projects. He is trying to finish up a 1949 Merc pick-up.

Camp is where you make it.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
got 3 3/4 inches of rain in the last few hours.

Last edited by fluffy; 07/13/13.

[the member formerly known as fluffy}
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Man the life rafts!

Humid as heck here, but they took the rain out of the forecast.

Finished the roof at 9:45 AM. We ended up with 1 shingle to spare. Thought I was going to have to make a trip to the building supply store for mote.

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except for bears. Bears kill you.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We got 9 inches of rain in Prior Lake. Basement flooded-sewer backed up, carpet in basement ruined, sheet rock soaked. It's gonna be a long weekend. Just taking a break from pulling the water off the floor down there.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
What a mess, Gopher.Good luck with the clean up.

We could use some rain right now. Lawn is starting to show signs of stress. Need to break out the sprinklers.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thanks, Grizzly. Dumped 4 buckets out of the shop vac on the first round. Just ate some lung and going back at it again here.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
how do you cook lung? I've never had it before.

I spent all week irrigating as we have been hot and the showers have dwindled out here. crops all look fantastic though! temps in the 90's and 100's makes the ground cook pretty fast. lost a lot of my new trees planted frown

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Oh gopher, that sucks. best of luck with that.

I'm putting down carpet.

Something clever here.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Gophergunner,I sincerely hope that you get it all straightened out.That is probably one big mess.
I am going shooting with an old friend tomorrow whom I have not seen in 28 years. Really looking forward to it. He lived next door to me in high school and we did a lot of hunting and fishing together even after we both got married. It's going to be fun.
My wife took me out to supper tonight on the occasion of my 72nd. birthday.

Stan in SC

The more I listen,the more I hear....and vice versa.

45/70,it's almost a religion.

If you have to take a second shot then you probably shouldn't have taken the first shot.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Stan, did I miss your birthday?

Happy belated birthday if I did.

IC B3

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Happy birthday Stan!!

Jeff, oh man! Let me know if I can help! I'm in Duluth right now. Did it hit the north burbs? I'll be home tomorrow night, let me know what I can do?

Do you have a sewer back up clause on ins? I don't know how that works?

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I did get the roof, cab except the doors, hood, and fenders on the 78' pick up in primer today. LOTS of sanding on that sucker today. Had to fix a bunch of tiny rust spots that didn't make it through the pain yet, but showed up when I striped the old paint off.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Happy birthday Stan!

Gopher, any updates? Wet basement is a terrible situation. I sure hope you can get it dried out without scrapping a bunch of materials. Is insurance going to help you on this?

Something clever here.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Happy birthday Stan the Man!

"Papa ! Nana made turtles in the potty !"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Happy Birthday Stan!

Dave hows the house project coming? is the dream house yours yet?

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by tzone
Steve, I'm sure many camps have faded away like yours did. I'm sure a few started like Dave and Pam's did as well.

I'm not sure if I've ever shared this on here or not. If I have, sorry, if not...sorry anyway. grin

My uncle Jeff had a camp in Alborn, MN in the late 70's-mid 80's. Camp was Jeff, Uncle Rick, and my Dad. It was a cool place on 40acres. It was an octagon, had water(well)/electrical, but still pretty "rustic." No plumbing, the water was heated on the stove and the dish water ran outside into 5 gal pails, out house, deer racks on the facia...typical MN camp.

Jeff decided to sell the camp to pay for his wedding crazy and my dad and Rick could not afford to buy him out. The new owner was going to build a house on the property but said they could use the place for a few years to hunt.

My uncle Rick was like a father to me. We were very close. He would be at our house at 6am wheter we wanted to go or not... Rick was there. I was not able to legally hunt yet, but I had a bb gun was was in the deer stands, walking the trails, clearing brush, pushing bush for deer, scouting...everything that one does for hunting without carrying
a gun. We were fishing, bird hunting, deer hunting, camping, anything outdoors.

In 1986 Rick was diagnosed with Leukeima. We were devestated, me especially. He went through a long treatment process and it went into remission In 88 he was once again able to hunt. The "camp" was gone but we had a camper that we used and
hunted the same area in Alborn. We didn't get a deer that year, but I remember almost everything we did together that season. It sounds weird, but I do. I remember it like yesterday. I remember setting out mock scrapes on the firday before the season started in the back of the gravel pit the camper was in, the campfire we had that night, the brats we cooked over the fire, going to bed and waking up to 4" of fresh fluffy
snow...like it happened yesterday. I remember the excitement of walking with him along the woods line early the next day (opening day) and seeing the dirt of the scrape "glow" from the snow that was scraped off it sometime in the last few hours.

Rick's cancer came back with a vengance later the next spring and he was dead by May of 1989. A few weeks before my 12th birthday, the year I finally got to hunt for real with him... I didn't know what to do, where to turn, or how to handle any of it...Hell I was 12.

My dad didn't have any desire to hunt anymore. He took me, but didn't want to go. Dad hasn't hunted since 1990. He called a buddy that had some land on the Iron Range and he said I could hunt there and I did, for the next 20 years.

I shot a lot of deer there and some dandy bucks through the years. But as things happen the land owner's adult kids started to hunt there. They were grown up when I
started and they didn't have an intrest then but did 15 years later. I was only allowed to sit in one stand and not move around because I'd "spook" all the deer. They started to
bait their stands (not legal) so I'd not see deer, silly games like that. Well the last two years I hunted there, I shot a 9pt and 6pt even though they tried everything to not have deer by me. They got mad, and it wasn't fun anymore.

In 2009 I was invited to hunt up at Chickenbuck and I think I've hunted at least one deer season of some sort ever since. I'm pround to be allowed there. Happy to be part of a camp and have been inviting myself back to eat Dave's ribs ever since.

I'm thankful to have met Dave and Pam. Uncle Dusty, Missy, Preacher Joe, Weezy,
Nate, Justin, Kenna, Makes no Patties, Big Jelly, Toumor buck, White Bear, Busch Pilot, Lester, Tommy, Colorado1135and all the other boys and girls that come up.

It is something I truly look forward too every year. Even when we work up there, its fun. I wish I lived closer so I could go a lot more...but maybe Dave and Pam did that by design. grin

See what I mean about this thread? What a great post! Sorta sums it up and makes a guy feel better about things. We're having a "changing of the guard" too. I see better days ahead.

Steve

Last edited by CharlieFoxtrot; 07/13/13.

"A Republic, if you can keep it." ~ B. Franklin
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Happy Birthday Stan!

Had water in the basement problems this spring. Sump was going constantly along with 3 of us dong the shop vac thing. We got ahead of it after about 4 days. Put a coupla dehumidifiers down there and sealed off the basement from any other air flow. Dried out nicely in a few days. Good luck!

Got done yurting last week. I am now an affirmed yurter...yurtee? The Mongols had it good. The meat extravaganza didn't pan out as it rained the whole time - unless tube steaks grilled in a wood stove counts. Anyway, if I figure out how to get pics from my phone to this site, I'll post em up.

Steve

"A Republic, if you can keep it." ~ B. Franklin
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Tom-

We did pretty good yesterday. 'Got the floor dried and bleached. As for the insurance, we filed a claim, but it's very doubtful that anything will come of it. Haven't heard back from the adjuster yet, but we're on high ground, not in a flood plain, and don't have the flood insurance rider. All he can do is say no, I guess. I doubt that the damage will cover our deductible even if we can get some help.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I too am a member of a dying camp. My dad and 4 other guys built a simple deer camp in Central Pennsylvania shortly after WWII. Camp Opa has been my home away from home for over 5 decades now. Time moved on, all the original members passed away. None of the other guys had any kids that showed any interest in the camp, so it came down to me and my brother. I'm up here in Minnesota now, and don't get back home much any more. My brother is in his 60's and in failing health, so hasn't hunted out of camp in a few years now.

It's so hard to see this great little camp slipping into history. Man, there are some great memories from hunts gone by. The deer, bears, turkeys, and trout that came through that camp made for some great stories for sure. Fall is a very bittersweet time for me, as I think about the 5 guys that made this camp possible, and how we have failed to honor their sweat and hard work by keeping this camp going. Unfortunately, it happens to the best of us-the camp across from ours, Camp Bozo just sold. Same thing. All the older guys either died or quit hunting. 'Shame to see this happen to these great camps. Here's to the hope that others are more fortunate and can keep their camps going for generations to come.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Gopher gunner i live in prior lake as well, crazy rainfall yesterday.. Went to Home Depot yesterday morn there were streets closed..

Page 1,152 of 1,842 1 2 1150 1151 1152 1153 1154 1841 1842

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

504 members (219DW, 1936M71, 1badf350, 222Sako, 1234, 10Glocks, 49 invisible), 2,424 guests, and 1,230 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,437
Posts18,489,382
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.