Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks for all the feedback. Well, I emptied my wallet at the candy store. I checked out the Creed and Chill while there. No Invasions available.

So after shooting several bows, and after telling the pro my life story, I started looking at all the rests on the wall, he says, "here, don't even look at anything else". He hands me a QAD HDX. I said that coincidentally, the boys on the forum recommended the same thing. He said you guys were right.

He only had the HHA OL5010 in stock. That .010 pin is too small and not bright enough for me, so I ordered up the 5019. I've read a lot on the magnifier lens - you can get 2x, 4x, 6x, but holy crap, they are $100 for a frikken lens. I've read not to bother with the 2x, but alot of guys love the 4 and 6x. Any feedback on this would be helpful.
The HHA's sight light, the "blue burst" is frikken longer than the bow. Who thought that up? Do the tiny generic lights fit? The Blue burst light (I believe) is designed to light the fiber optic only, and not the inside of the sight, which I like, but man, is it big.

Gunner - I found my Dad's old Ben Pearson longbow in the basement. That bow has to be 60 years old. Another toy to play with.

Thanks guys for all your input.

I will post pix of the final package soon.

- Rogue
GB1

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

- Rogue
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Congrats on the new bow RH, hope ya bleed her many times this fall. <G>

Gunner

Trump Won!
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks, and to you sir this fall on your trip. Kill a big one. Are you taking the Montana?

- Rogue
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by RogueHunter
Thanks, and to you sir this fall on your trip. Kill a big one. Are you taking the Montana?

Likewise, and no dice on the Montana LB, I'm shooting 6" groups at 20 yards at best with the occasional flyer, not good enough yet with instinctive shooting to risk losing a critter to my green-horn-ness.

My old BM2 will comfortably extend that 20 yard range by 35/40 yards in calm winds.

Gunner

Trump Won!
IC B2

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by JJHACK
You know, before I bought this trijicon single pin the G5 is that the right name? was calling me.

It has two pins, one for 20 yards fixed, and the other adjustable for what ever you want. This idea is brilliant IMO.

Two pins one fixed one adjustable is definitely the best of both worlds

The brand is G-5, the sight is the Optix XR-2 with two pins. I had several of the bigger brother Optix-XR with the three fixed pin and the fourth floating pin. The sight material is magnesium and light weight for the size. They were easy to adjust, and the sight ring is nice and big to see through. I really never used the floating pin, unless playing at the field range.

Downside: it is a big sight and vibrates. The fibers are well protected, but not exposed much for ambient light, you really have to use the G-5 light for the sight. This was my turn-off for the sight. The light is $35-40 a copy, after I broke my third one, I decided the sight/light combo was not doing anything for me. My problem was the rheostat switch, it would pop off or crack internally and not turn the switch. The mounting hole is tiny by design, and I couldn't find a cheaper replacement light that would fit. Just my 2 cents...

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by RogueHunter
Thanks for all the feedback. Well, I emptied my wallet at the candy store. I checked out the Creed and Chill while there. No Invasions available.

So after shooting several bows, and after telling the pro my life story, I started looking at all the rests on the wall, he says, "here, don't even look at anything else". He hands me a QAD HDX. I said that coincidentally, the boys on the forum recommended the same thing. He said you guys were right.

He only had the HHA OL5010 in stock. That .010 pin is too small and not bright enough for me, so I ordered up the 5019. I've read a lot on the magnifier lens - you can get 2x, 4x, 6x, but holy crap, they are $100 for a frikken lens. I've read not to bother with the 2x, but alot of guys love the 4 and 6x. Any feedback on this would be helpful.
The HHA's sight light, the "blue burst" is frikken longer than the bow. Who thought that up? Do the tiny generic lights fit? The Blue burst light (I believe) is designed to light the fiber optic only, and not the inside of the sight, which I like, but man, is it big.

Gunner - I found my Dad's old Ben Pearson longbow in the basement. That bow has to be 60 years old. Another toy to play with.

Thanks guys for all your input.

I will post pix of the final package soon.

I found a company on E-bay that makes a replacement light for the HHA, it's a tiny all brass machined light with a twist on/off switch. I think they were out of Tenessee IIRC. I'll see if I can find the ad/light and reply.

I'd interested in your thoughts on the scope when you get it set up. I've thought about using one, but haven't committed to the investment.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What bow did ya get? Dont recall seeing that. Only the fact that it wasnt an Invasion. As for the rest, great choice. I stayed out of the sight discussion, because im the bad apple in the bunch. You couldnt give me a single pin slider sight for hunting. Much prefer a fixed pin sight. But to each his own. As for the lens, HHA lens are expensive. There is a gentleman on ArcheryTalk that makes lenses. He is an eye doctor/avid archer. He goes by screen name squeekieslayer. His lenses are top notch and about half the cost of the HHA. You will need the lens retainer kit tho as he doesnt carry that. Only makes the lenses. If you decide you dont like the HHA, i strongly suggest the Axcel Armortech. IMO the best fixed pin sight out there.

Crossed Arrows Archery LLC
Authorized Obsession Bows Dealer
Custom Strings/Tuning
www.crossedarrowsarcheryllc.com
Black Eagle Arrows Pro Staff, Montana Black Gold Shooting Staff, Dead Center Archery Products Shooting Staff
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

- Rogue
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Well, sorry this reply took so long - work came first.

First off, I am extremely pleased with the bow. Very smooth draw, solid wall, and very quiet and very minimal vibe. I had the bow set to 58# - same as my Mathews. When I first drew back the Experience, I almost dropped my left nut of the floor. I know draw weight is draw weight, but it felt a hell of lot harder to draw. My just my head. I did bury several arrows deep in the target, though. Like laser beams they flew.

Frikken love the QAD HDX. As N2 said, I wish I converted a long time ago. A++.

The HHA - I'm not sure yet. Quality piece of machinery, but maybe I just concerned it's too much to worry about. I have the simplest 3 pin that PSE makes on the Outback, so I not used to it yet. It is, however, very nice to have a clear sight picture. One pin - not a Christmas tree in your sight. Time will tell. I lined everything up by eye, and let a few rip at 10 yards. Almost broke a few nocks. So far, so good. I plan on spending a few hours with it tomorrow.

While at the shop, I picked up some Nockturnals - they seem to be the nock of choice with regard to all the reviews. I'm in my garage, and WTF - one is lit - and I didn't even take it out of the package yet. Anyway, at $10 a pop, I'm exchanging it on Monday.

Thanks for the help and input. AH - if you get the site where they sell the little brass light, please let me know.

Rogue

Last edited by RogueHunter; 07/13/13. Reason: syntax

- Rogue
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You chose wisely. Love my Bowtech.

Custom Strings/Tuning
Black Eagle Arrows Pro Staff, Montana Black Gold Shooting Staff, Dead Center Archery Products Shooting Staff
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
This may or may not matter to you, but Lighted knocks disqualifies for P&Y record book.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Congrats on making a decision (it was tough for me to decide). I opted against lighted knocks because they are illegal in many western states...

West Kentucky Boy
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Does P&Y make the venison taste better? laugh

Custom Strings/Tuning
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Nope! Niether does a lighted knock!

I believe 90% of people don't care about the record books until the time when they have a top 5 or 10 animal. Then that changes things. Of course unless you lie by then it is to late.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter
This may or may not matter to you, but Lighted knocks disqualifies for P&Y record book.

Does a sight light disqualify as well?

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
When I slay the world record breaking P&Y this fall, it will not be with lighted nocks, those are just for the back yard!

Curious about the lighted sight too.

- Rogue
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I could be wrong, but my understanding is if it needs a battery or other electrical supply to power it then it disqualifies you.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
RogueHunter I would bet that 1% of hunters with animals in the top 10 record books, didn't set out to or ever thought they would be there.

Last edited by MontanaCreekHunter; 07/14/13.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter
RogueHunter I would bet that 1% of hunters with animals in the top 10 record books set out to or ever thought they would be there.

I'd bet you are right.

Spent about 3 hours playing this morning. I'm loving the setup more and more. Had to come into the ac - it's about 94 Deg and about 1000% humidity.

- Rogue
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

106 members (6mmCreedmoor, 338reddog, 14idaho, 01Foreman400, afisher, 6 invisible), 1,475 guests, and 824 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,370
Posts18,488,323
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.