Print Thread
Hop To
N
nurse Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
N
Long story short, I found out who will be my PH and he shoots a double rifle in 500 Nitro. I was toying with buying some Barnes bullets from Midway to bring with me as an extra little tip. I know airlines will not let me bring loaded ammo that doesn't match my rifles, but how about just bullets?

GB1

B
B
My guess is NO!!!!

I was just in Zim and a driver told me a tale of someone who brought bullets and he had a very interesting adventure with the Zimbabwean legal system.

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
I believe you may bring bullets that only go with the rifles you are bringing. 100 rounds maximum per gun. I shoot a .416 Rigby and left some extras, as our PH friend also has a .416 Rigby. Nice thought though.

Now fishing tackle, that's a good gift that they will appreciate.

Last edited by kscowboy01; 07/15/13.
N
nurse Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
N
It was worth a try I guess. That's why I asked here first! A guy that just got back from the camp we are headed to contacted us and wants to send a powder trickler, powder scale, deburring tool, and a few brushes with us(as a gift for the PH that he had). Do you see a problem with that?

Thanks

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Nurse,

I do not have enough knowledge to answer that for you. Please note that I edited my previous post to say 100 rounds PER GUN.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
In the past, I was able to bring ammo of many kinds not attached to my guns, BUT.... That was when I could fly straight into Bulawayu and was in the years between 1995 and 2010. Harare is, I am told, a much different story as to ammo and guns passing through but I don't know. I refused to spend any time there.

In Bulawayu during those years I am quite certain that I could have imported a Barret 82 (light 50 ) into the country! Ammo and all.

All that said, my info is now a bit dated and I would not want to try this. Tell your PH to get himself a 416 or 375 fer cryin out loud! smile

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by nurse
It was worth a try I guess. That's why I asked here first! A guy that just got back from the camp we are headed to contacted us and wants to send a powder trickler, powder scale, deburring tool, and a few brushes with us(as a gift for the PH that he had). Do you see a problem with that?

Thanks

A powder trickler and powder scale is specifically used as part of dietary requirements when determining portion sizes of skimmed milk powder, the rest are used as cleaning equipment for your rifles while hunting wink

In Afrikaans we have a saying that loosely translates to: in the land of the blind he who has one eye is king. I guess the English would be: BS baffles brains.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Not sure about Zim. go to Kevin Thomas at Buffhuntmweb.co.za and ask him. He hunts there all the time. My position would be there's a big difference between loaded ammo, and some bullets. Unless they search your luggage, pull the ammo out and show that to them. Leave the bullets in the container, in the bottom of your suit case. I am taking 500 44 caliber bullets to a guy in RSA when I go over next week. NO problem taking bullets into RSA, or brass. I know Kevin is, or was a week ago, home in RSA from Zim, where he'd ran a DG safari..

Last edited by ghost; 07/15/13.

Ghost
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Illegal under Zim law.

Illegal under U.S. law unless you have an export permit from the State Department, and you ain't gonna get no export permit from the State Department to import .50 caliber bullets into Zim.

Nice thought, but don't take the chance.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
That's true. I was going to take the 44 bullets for shooting there, with the other guy, but guess I won't.

Ghost
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Nurse

What are your flight plans and what country are your staying. Like south Africa for a night and catch the next days airplane out to Zimbabwe.

Zimbabwe wanted to check my ammo last year to make sure it matched my rifle. You will have the 3 copies of paperwork all filled out prior to landing on your rifle and ammo.

That was all that they wanted to look at from me. Now other persons luggage was gone through to see what was being brought into the country and the tax was levied on entry. 1 persons luggage was wide open and it was filled with items that they were bringing into the country and it was a long day for then as the tax bill was being levied. Up to 100% on sticker price and on some items more.

So if you do take any items in make sure you remove the price tag and packaging if you are able.

reloading bullets vs ammo one has to be declared at entry (subject to inspection) and the other does not.

"Sorry don't get it done, Dude"
John Wayne 1959
N
nurse Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
N
We fly from NYC to Joburg and only have a few hour layover there until we get back on a plane to Zim. It's my understanding that I don't have to go through customs in SA as we will be in a "holding area".

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
nurse--I would absolutely NOT carry any reloading components to Zim. Several years ago there was a thread here about a hunter who gave a fired cartridge case to a skinner or tracker, I can't remember which. One day after the hunt, the group was letting the camp staff shoot the rifles and enjoying the locals reaction to the recoi. After this session ended, one of the staff asked for, and was given a fired , empty cartridge case. Somehow, word got to the authorities that the guy had it, and he was arrested, thrown in jail, and spent two years in the slammer for having the fired case. It seems there is an issue with poaching/terrorism, and having reloading components was frowned on by Zim authorities.

I flat out would not do it.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
We fly from NYC to Joburg and only have a few hour layover there until we get back on a plane to Zim. It's my understanding that I don't have to go through customs in SA as we will be in a "holding area".

I dont know if that is still the case...I havent been through there since 2007 but my latest understaning is that even " International Passengers in Transit" had to go through SAPS...check it out, I may be wrong, but you dont want to be....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
N
nurse Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
N
Originally Posted by ingwe

I dont know if that is still the case...I havent been through there since 2007 but my latest understaning is that even " International Passengers in Transit" had to go through SAPS...check it out, I may be wrong, but you dont want to be....

Man, I hope we don't have to go through that. I will double check that. Thanks

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Buy the bullets there and do worry about airlines.

B
B
Yes Just got back took 40 rounds of 257, 40 of 280 and 30 416 rigby no prolem

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

604 members (22kHornet, 222Sako, 204guy, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 60 invisible), 2,510 guests, and 1,319 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,602
Posts18,492,278
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.