Print Thread
Hop To
I
isaac Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I
...being Fried Chicken Week, and all. I haven't had my mom's fried chicken in over 30 years and her recipe,along with using the drippings for gravy is still a fond memory. If you can improve upon a recipe or post a tried and true,I'm bound to give it a go sometime.

P.S. I don't need healthy but, if you have to...
===============

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2013/07/04/5-ways-to-celebrate-national-fried-chicken-day/

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

GB1

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Wish I could help. My grandmother made the best. Unfortunately, she never measured ingrediants(sp) just poured until it "looked right." My sister pulled her hair out trying to get a measured recipe. Never happened.

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Here is my Favorite chicken recipe.

Rice Krispy Chicken it's eye measured.

1 gallon bag filled about 1/3 of the way with Rice Krispies

1 stick butter

4 chicken thighs boneless (any chicken will do,but with larger pieces and bone-in cook for an hour)

I use a cast iron skillet about 12" wide, aluminum foil to cover the bottom of skillet and a smaller piece to cover top.

Non-stick spray the foil before putting the chicken in the bottom of skillet.

Pre-heat oven to 350*

Melt butter in a small sauce pan.

Crush Rice Krispies in bag using a rolling pin or by hand,but not too fine(I like some bigger pieces of RK)

When butter is melted,take chicken,dip in butter be sure to coat all the chicken piece in butter. After chicken is covered in butter,put in gallon bag, shake and place chicken in the skillet.
Any extra butter and left over Rice Krispies I put over chicken then cover with foil. Add left over Rice Krispies to cover chicken. (this is the best part that we fight over!)

Bake for 30 minutes then remove foil to brown I cook bone-less for 45 minutes. When cooking bone-in or larger pieces cook 45 minutes then remove foil then for 15 more minutes.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
I
isaac Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I
I want to try that Coca-Cola fried chicken recipe.

Has anyone tried that recipe?

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

C
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
C
All I know is that when my brothers and sisters are at my mother's funeral I will be at the house loading up that Wagner Sidney # 10 chicken fryer.

That skillet is pure magic.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
Bob, simple is always best.
Rinse the chicken, pat dry with paper towels. Set aside.
Beat an egg with a little water.
Put a cup or so of flower in a brown paper sack. Toss in some salt and black pepper, mix well. Adding some ground sage won't hurt.
I use Crisco to fry. The white stuff, not the oil. Use a proper chicken frying pan. Cast iron works best. I get the Crisco to 350f, but some folks like 365f. Use a thermometer .
Set up your stations. Chicken pieces, egg dip, flour. Then dip each piece in butter milk, and back into the flour.
Gently slip the chicken into the hot oil. They should not touch each other. Might need to fry in two batches.
Cook until browned, then turn the pieces over and brown the other side.
When done remove, and set the chicken on an icing rack to drain. Salt the still moist chicken.
Eat.

Sam......

I
isaac Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I
Thanks Sam. Approximately how long on each side?

William Arthur Ward

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
This one is easy and delicious if you don't want breaded fried chicken

2 bone in, skin on chicken breasts or quarters if you prefer.

Preheat oven to 350
Ver lightly veg/peanut oil a cast iron skillet, and lighty rub same on your chicken
Liberally apply kosher salt and fresh pepper, getting some under the skin if you're going to peel it off before eating.

Over high heat on stove top sear both sides of chicken to a nice brown color, 3-5 minutes per side.

Sprinkle a pinch of fresh or dried rosemary on chicken, and finish in the oven for 30 minutes, flipping once half way through.

Jack simple, but very tasty. Don't use too much oil.

S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by isaac

In my experience, 12-15 min. If the fat is too hot, you'll be scorching the outside while the inside will be undercooked...that is why a longer, slow fry is best.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]

Lucky Wishbone
(907) 272-3454

My Next Husband Will Be Normal- T. Shirt
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by isaac

not real long Bob. Variables include the temperature of the chicken when it goes in the pan, how thick the pieces are, the actual temperature of the Crisco, how closely the pieces are placed.

Color is the key. When you use your tongs, and raise a piece, you want a nice, fairly deep, golden brown color.

Sam......

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
Variables include the temperature of the chicken when it goes in the pan, how thick the pieces are, the actual temperature of the Crisco, how closely the pieces are placed.

Color is the key. When you use your tongs, and raise a piece, you want a nice, fairly deep, golden brown color.

I'm impressed. smile Sam, knows what he's talking about. I'll add, don't mess with the pieces until you know that the underside is starting to brown or it'll stick and the breading will come off.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Originally Posted by MissTreated
[Linked Image]

Lucky Wishbone
(907) 272-3454

Good, but Costco rotisserie chicken is better and a lot cheaper grin --- Mel

The only thing I'm an expert at is my own opinion, and I have plenty of those!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

553 members (1badf350, 160user, 1minute, 1moredeer, 10ring1, 62 invisible), 2,244 guests, and 1,222 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,012
Posts18,500,284
Members73,986
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.