Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
SYG can be put under the microscope all they want.

I don't believe it was argued at all. Instructions were for self defense.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by isaac
There won't be a trial.

If there is, maybe it will be Angela Corey on trial for misrepresentation of evidence in getting the original 2nd degree charge.

I can only hope...........

MM

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I am sick of this crap. Tell Obama and all his cronies to take a walk. Holder should be put before a court now. What ever happened to "fast and furious"? What is it going to take to bring these f---ers to justice? I am sick of the rock star President spending our tax dollars like a drunken sailor on leave. Let Zimmerman live his life. Nobody asks for prayers for him, but he is the one that has to live with taking a life, everyday for the rest of his life. They have drug this poor guy thru hell. For what? to stir up a race riot. This is crap!

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by spencer516
I am sick of the rock star President spending our tax dollars like a drunken sailor on leave.

An insult to squids everywhere.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Anybody know the exact crime Mrs. Zimmerman was indicted for? I know she is reported to have lied about their finances at a bail hearing, and the prosecutor was holding off until G's trial.

In short, can the State get their pound of flesh from her?

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
IC B2

I
isaac Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I
IMO Gene, it's pure HS and goes nowhere:
=========

Next up: Florida v. Shellie Zimmerman

Forgotten in the publicity surrounding the jury verdict in the case against George Zimmerman is that a perjury charge against his wife, Shellie Zimmerman, remains active.

According to the State Court docket, the case is scheduled for trial August 21. I have calls in to the prosecutors and defense counsel to confirm this.

The Judge on the case is Marlene M. Alva.

The Criminal Information and supporting Affidavit are embedded at the bottom of the post.

The charge surrounds Shellie�s sworn statements regarding funds available for George�s defense. When it was revealed that George had more money than was disclosed, his bail was revoked and he eventually was released on much higher bond.

I extensively analyzed the allegations in a post on June 13, 2012, Perjury charge against Shellie Zimmerman raises more questions of prosecutorial overreaching.

The main problem with the State�s case, as I see it, is that many of the statements alleged in the Affidavit were matters which were ambiguous or subject of opinion. In order to commit perjury, one has to make a false statement of fact (which is why the feds prefer to go with �obstruction of justice� instead of perjury).

Here�s one example from the prior post:

Q. Other major assets that you have which you can liquidate reasonably to assist in coming up with money for a bond?
A. None that I know of.

What are �major assets�? Isn�t that a matter of opinion? Similarly, what does �reasonably� mean? Isn�t that also a matter of judgment, not a fact? The same lack of clarity accrues to �liquidate.� If the alleged funds already were liquid, the funds could not be liquidated again.

And another:

Q. And you mentioned also, in terms of the ability of your husband to make a bond amount, that you all had no money, is that correct?
A. To my knowledge, that is correct.
Q: Were you aware of the website that Mr. Zimmerman or somebody on his behalf created?
A: I�m aware of that website.
Q: How much money is in that website right now? How much money as a result of that website was �
A: Currently, I do not know.
Q: Do you have any estimate as to how much money has already been obtained or collected?
A: I do not.

Notice the specific wording of the questions and answers. I think the best case for perjury was the response to the question whether �you all had no money.� (added) The way the question was structured, however, the question was whether Shellie previously said that there was �no money,� not that at the time of the question there was no money.

A motion to dismiss the charge on grounds of jurisdicion was denied in February, and the case has been on hold pending the conclusion of George�s case.

Last edited by isaac; 07/15/13.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

"The most fundamental of civil rights -- the right to life -- was violated the night George Zimmerman stalked and then took the life of Trayvon Martin," the group wrote.

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't that grounds for litigation since Zimmerman has been acquitted?
Particularly since it has been published.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Bob, since Zimmerman wasn't a "state actor," how does the Federal Government even reach him with a civil rights action, i.e., what's the legal basis for Federal jurisdiction over a private citizen vis-a-vis a violation of another citizen's Constitutional rights? These Federal civil rights actions are for cops and such, not folks in the private sector.

I
isaac Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I
It's happened but it's very rare. By rare, I mean perfect planetary alignment. There is a 2012 vid going around today where Holder discussed the extraordinarily high burden they would have in a case such as this. The FBI report came out after his comments, as did the acquittal premised in self defense.

I'm convinced this civil right's charge rant is simply ointment chatter.

Tomorrow, Holder speaks before the NAACP. Unless he's direct in the likelihood of moving forward, my guess is it dies over the next two months, especially as Trayvon's record,texts and pics get leaked to the cyber world.

Last edited by isaac; 07/15/13.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

I
isaac Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I
Originally Posted by JSTUART

"The most fundamental of civil rights -- the right to life -- was violated the night George Zimmerman stalked and then took the life of Trayvon Martin," the group wrote.

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't that grounds for litigation since Zimmerman has been acquitted?
Particularly since it has been published.

============

I don't know if they're immune or not,JS. If not immune, it's a great job for West to handle. He truly wants to excoriate a few state prosecutors.

William Arthur Ward

IC B3

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
It's happened but it's very rare. By rare, I mean perfect planetary alignment. There is a 2012 vid going around today where Holder discussed the extraordinarily high burden they would have in a case such as this, in 2012. The FBI report came out after his comments, as did the acquittal premised in self defense.

I'm convinced this civil right's charge rant is simply ointment chatter.

Tomorrow, Holder speaks before the NAACP. Unless he's direct in the likelihood of moving forward, my guess is it dies over the next two months, especially as Trayvon's record,texts and pics get leaked to the cyber world.
Hope for this might just be holding back the rioters, and by the time they realize it's never going to happen (perhaps six months from now), interest in the Trayvon case will have fizzled.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Justice Department faces evidence hurdles in proving Zimmerman bias after verdict

Published July 15, 2013
FoxNews.com

The Justice Department was running into immediate hurdles Monday in its investigation of possible civil rights violations by George Zimmerman in the shooting death of Trayvon Martin -- namely, that after examining the case for more than a year, the evidence has not changed.

Though the department announced after Zimmerman's acquittal that it would consider a possible federal case, previously filed FBI documents show agents have not turned up any accounts that Zimmerman, before the February 2012 shooting, exhibited racial bias. Sanford police detective Chris Serino also told FBI agents last year that he considered Zimmerman as having "a little hero complex, but not as a racist."

Attorney General Eric Holder, in his first post-verdict comments, confirmed Monday during a speech in Washington, D.C., that his department continues to investigate while signaling concern for the position of the Martin family and those -- such as the NAACP -- pressuring the DOJ. He said the department is "mindful of the pain felt by our nation" over the "tragic, unnecessary shooting death" of Martin.

"The Justice Department shares your concern -- I share your concern," Holder said.

He added that the shooting provides an opportunity to speak "honestly" about the charged issues involved in the case, and that "we must not ... let this opportunity pass." Holder even appeared to suggest the possibility of bias in this case, saying it's important to address "underlying attitudes, mistaken beliefs and stereotypes that serve as the basis for these too common incidents."

Still, the attorney general said his department would act in a "manner that is consistent with the facts and the law."

White House Press Secretary Jay Carney indicated that President Obama would keep his distance from the consideration, adding that the merits of the case will be "evaluated by the professionals at the Department of Justice."

But Florida defense attorney Brian Tannebaum told FoxNews.com that the "number one challenge" for DOJ is the evidence, or lack thereof.

"There's been an acquittal. The evidence has not changed. It's not like the feds are going to go in and find more evidence," he said.

Tannebaum said he understands the Justice Department was responding to intense public sentiment, but "I don't foresee it becoming a federal case."

The question of racial bias is key because if the Justice Department were to pursue a federal case against Zimmerman, federal hate-crimes law is one of the few tools the department would have.

The statute itself bars "willfully" causing injury to someone else "because of the actual or perceived race, color, religion, or national origin of any person."

The department has used federal civil rights law before to pursue defendants who had been acquitted at the state level. But in what is perhaps the most famous such case -- the Rodney King beating -- the circumstances were different.

First, there was a highly publicized video of the King beating. No such video of the Martin shooting is known to exist.

Second, the two officers ultimately convicted on federal charges in that case were charged with using or permitting unreasonable force under "color of law" -- this applies only to law enforcement.

The separate federal hate-crimes law applies to both law enforcement and civilians. But it's not clear how the Justice Department could prove racial bias.

Serino, the Sanford detective, told FBI agents last year that after examining the case, it appeared Zimmerman was suspicious of Martin because of his "attire, the total circumstances of the encounter and the previous burglary suspects in the community."

Serino told the FBI that there had been several burglaries in the area, and that gang members in the community "typically dressed in black and wore hoodies."

"When Zimmerman saw Martin in a hoody, Zimmerman took it upon himself to view Martin as acting suspicious," Serino said, while describing Zimmerman as "overzealous." The FBI document was posted on the Smoking Gun website.

McClatchy also has reported on another set of documents that show FBI agents interviewed a dozens of people in the course of probing possible racial bias but nobody would say Zimmerman showed such bias before the shooting.

Still, the Justice Department agreed to requests from NAACP President Benjamin Todd Jealous and several lawmakers to keep investigating the defendant.

"The Department of Justice's Criminal Section of the Civil Rights Division, the United States Attorney's Office for the Middle District of Florida, and the Federal Bureau of Investigation continue to evaluate the evidence generated during the federal investigation, as well as the evidence and testimony from the state trial," the Justice Department said in a statement Sunday. "Experienced federal prosecutors will [now] determine whether the evidence reveals a prosecutable violation of any of the limited federal criminal civil rights statutes within our jurisdiction, and whether federal prosecution is appropriate in accordance with the Department's policy governing successive federal prosecution following a state trial."

The department may find itself in a vulnerable spot, not only because of prior interviews which found no evidence of bias.

Last week, a conservative watchdog accused an obscure agency within the DOJ of helping support the "pressure campaign" against Zimmerman in the wake of the shooting last year. Judicial Watch claimed documents and public accounts showed "extraordinary intervention" by the department in the campaign that eventually led to Zimmerman's prosecution.

The department, however, claims that it dispatched agency representatives to reduce tensions in the community - not to take sides.

The department is under heavy pressure from some groups to pursue the case further.

Rep. Charles Rangel, D-N.Y., and other House Democrats called a press conference on Monday to urge the Justice Department to "conduct an immediate and thorough investigation."

The NAACP started the drive to pressure the DOJ to continue its probe by posting a petition Sunday morning on the website MoveOn.org.

Attorney General Eric Holder plans to speak at the NAACP convention on Tuesday.

FoxNews.com's Judson Berger contributed to this report.

What I find amazing and I constantly bring up on HuffPo, is that for decades liberals have always preached non-violence. "Violence is never the answer". Now these same people are bending over backward defending Trayvon Martin decision to respond to Zimmerman's follow, with violence first. He could have fled, he could have talked, he could have called for help, and yet he chose to react in a violent manner, but today liberals find that reasonable.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
They always did...do as I say not as I do!

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
I
isaac Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I
Remember, the Feds would have to get through a Fed grand Jury, A Fed Judge and a fed jury. The rules don't change and the shenanigans you saw by the prosecutors in this state fiasco would most likely result in severe sanctions by a Fed Judge,IMO.

This is something more along the lines of Steve's or some of the other lawyers expertise in high profile cases dealing with the Fed system's politics.

I'm simply a drug and sex and low level white collar crime guy at the lower Fed court levels. I've only been involved in 4 high profile cases.

I did love to hear that MOM is a practicing family and criminal law lawyer, though. I'm guessing divorce cases are going to be put on the 2nd page of their website now, however. He just hit the 1000 per hour elite status of criminal defense lawyers.

I'd hire West, though. He was superb in protecting the appellate assignment of errors,imo.

William Arthur Ward

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I'm just wondering when the Hispanics will figure out what the dems in general and the current admin in particular truly feel about them, you know, the white Hispanics.

Last edited by RickySor; 07/15/13.

Blessings, RickySor - MSG (Ret), USA
RM 10:9 That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by tzone
I will side with steve since betting oposite of bob has made many a rich man! smile
I don't know if Bob got the time right, but he called the rest of the Trayvon Trial spot-on.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Too bad Holder didn't get as indignant and upset at the needless death of BP Agent Brian Terry from his efforts thru Fast and Furious to call for more Gun Control.But then Terry was white and of no consequence to him. The Racists are in the Whitehouse NOW. Magnum Man

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Originally Posted by ltppowell
Originally Posted by toltecgriz
Since this civil rights prosecution appears to only be used when some political group doesn't like the outcome of a previous trial, at what point does the usage of the law become double jeopardy even if the law itself isn't, at least on it's face.
The Supremes can't be that dumb, can they?

That is a great question. The prosecution of a crime Federally, after it has been tried by a State, is not considered double jeopardy.

I understand that, Pat, although as a matter of simple logic I don't agree with it. But my point is, when it is only used for the exact purpose of trying someone under the same set of facts, it's ludicrous.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
I was just reading the relevant portions of the Federal Hate Crime Statute 18 USC � 249 and it appears sufficiently broad to be applied to Zimmerman if they wished to. He's clearly innocent, but if they wished to make his life more miserable by charging him with it, they could under this statute. Naturally, the statute is completely unconstitutional, but that's pretty standard for Federal laws nowadays.

Pay particular attention to the information under (b) Certification Requirement, particularly (C) under (1), and you will see that it lets the Feds reach Zimmerman on a trumped up hate crime charge if they wish. Amazing that such a law has been allowed to be made in the United States. All such matters were left exclusively with the states by the Tenth Amendment.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Anybody really think Obama's crew can't find a hundred people that will swear Zimmerman made raciest statements, even that he wanted to kill some blacks.
Those people make their own rules.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

510 members (300jimmy, 2ndwind, 10gaugeman, 222Sako, 2UP, 270cowboy, 51 invisible), 1,764 guests, and 1,238 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,152
Posts18,523,378
Members74,030
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.