Print Thread
Hop To
N
nurse Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
N
Just curious how many of you have used a GPS while in Africa? I have a Garmin Montana and the download available through Garmin is $175! I did find a tracks4africa SD card, but am unsure of the quality. It's $90.

I just thought it would be neat to be able to reminisce about where we were and where we got what.

Thoughts?

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I used one, just for situational areness in case I had to ever get back to camp on my own for some reason and I have all the L/L where I killed my trophies. What is the SD Card for?

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
We took a Garmin 60CSx to Namibia this year with a map from T4A. It was a download rather than the card and was less than $90...under $20 IIRC.

As a matter of fact, the PH had a Montana and used a T4A map on it. Quality is great.

I used the 60CSx to mark a leopard kill, baits, some rock paintings I found, lodges and farms we visited, etc. Fun toy!

Winchester rifles and Swarovski scopes.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I take and use one every year in Namibia and RSA - Garmin Oregon 550. We usually rent a car and do some sightseeing for a week or more before or after we hunt. The Garmin maps for RSA cover the streets for RSA and Namibia. No topo data but not really needed.

For hunting I carry it all the time with just the PH's base camp/house loaded in and keep it turned off. I have loaded prominent features and their names like wells/waterholes, permanent blinds, etc. The only time I plan to turn it on hunting is in case of an emergency and need to call in our current position Lat/Long or bearing/range from one of the points or get back "home". Basically, just adding a level of safety/security.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I always take mine, I like to plot the camps, cliffs and kill sites so that I can google earth them when I get home. Just to show friends/family where I was.

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation"
"Dangerous Game Hunting........because golf, football and baseball only require one ball"
IC B2

E
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
E
Mine goes with me whenever I hunt, particularly if I am far from familiar areas. I find it reassuring to know where the truck is if I have to find it myself, where animals are seen and I like to know how far I walk each day. I find that if I just estimate distance I can be significantly off in either direction.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I took my Garmin eTrex to Zimbabwe with me and used it to plot the campsite and animal locations. It's pretty cool to look back on those locations using Google Earth now. I only regret that I didn't take the GPS to Namibia when I went there on my first trip to Africa...

Africa Hunting Safaris, Cape Buffalo Hunting, & Other Big Game Hunting Adventures
N
nurse Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
N
Originally Posted by The_Big_Game_Hunter
I took my Garmin eTrex to Zimbabwe with me and used it to plot the campsite and animal locations. It's pretty cool to look back on those locations using Google Earth now. I only regret that I didn't take the GPS to Namibia when I went there on my first trip to Africa...

Did you have any special maps loaded or where you able to just use your GPS as it came out of the box?

Thanks.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
I took my Garmin ETREX Venture HC to Limpopo, South Africa, in
May. Marked the lodge and one spot where we left the truck. Did
not remember to mark all the others that wanted to...was in too
much of a hurry when we left the truck. There were a few times that I really regretted not doing so as I was really turned around
and would have had a looonnnggg walk back to somewhere if I had had to do so. Most stalks I knew where the truck was and it was not an issue...but....on the others.....well.
Next trip, it will be marked before the rifle is loaded!
It worked just fine out of the box.
In fact, it is 8,317 miles from my front door to his! Or so it tells me!

Last edited by fgold767; 07/26/13.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by McCray
We took a Garmin 60CSx to Namibia this year with a map from T4A. It was a download rather than the card and was less than $90...under $20 IIRC.

As a matter of fact, the PH had a Montana and used a T4A map on it. Quality is great.

I used the 60CSx to mark a leopard kill, baits, some rock paintings I found, lodges and farms we visited, etc. Fun toy!

Have the same Garmin model and have used it for the same purposes as the gentleman above did. Very handy and useful. Also cuts down on the BS where the client tells the PH "we must've done 20 miles on foot today...."

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Pieter has several photos of me taking GPS readings. I would mark where I when I shot and where the animal was as well as any interesting spot. I did not have an Africa map installed, but I downloaded the SD card when I got home and looked up the coordinates on Google maps.

DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member
N
nurse Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
N
Originally Posted by CharlesL
Pieter has several photos of me taking GPS readings. I would mark where I when I shot and where the animal was as well as any interesting spot. I did not have an Africa map installed, but I downloaded the SD card when I got home and looked up the coordinates on Google maps.

That is what intend to do. Thanks!

22 days and counting....

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by nurse
22 days and counting....

I'm envious. It's 279 for me. Not that I'm counting.

DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
My wife gave me a new camera with a built in GPS. It's a Nikon AW100. Every photo I took has the coordinates listed in the file info when you download the photos to a computer. I have all of my animals that I killed in Namibia the last two weeks precisely located and marked on Google Earth.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
One shortcoming with this is posting photo's of success from your home, or honey hole whether hunting or fishing. That data is in the file. When you post a photo on the web, that info will follow.

Be carful about where your best spots are and posting those photo's unless you're okay with everyone interested knowing the exact co-ordinates of your best locations.

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

272 members (01Foreman400, 300_savage, 264mag, 204guy, 257heaven, 309coug, 47 invisible), 2,248 guests, and 1,063 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,974
Posts18,499,450
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.