Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1,160 of 1,842 1 2 1158 1159 1160 1161 1162 1841 1842
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Gents,thanks for the clarification of popple.
gophergunner,
keeping corn out means carrying it from source to vehicle,from vehicle thru woods to point of consumption.At least twice and sometimes three times a week.Tain't easy when it is hot as blue blazes out and you are ,ahem,shall we say older.I wouldn't call it lazy.

Stan in SC

The more I listen,the more I hear....and vice versa.

45/70,it's almost a religion.

If you have to take a second shot then you probably shouldn't have taken the first shot.
GB1

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Sounds like way too much work to me Stan. I'm ultra lazy though. I don't even build tree stands and the like. Just toss a few branches next to a tree and call it good, if I am bowhunting. For rifle hunting, I just park my butt wherever there is a nice view.

Folks work WAY too hard at deer hunting sometimes.

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
That is part of why I like to build blinds. I use what Ma nature has laying round, it's cheap, and I don't have to haul it in. I have built a few stands recently but the newer ladder stands are pretty comfy.

I don't build enclosed stands, but the few chances I get to hint them, they sure are nice when a guy needs it.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mule1
Originally Posted by gophergunner
[quote=Stan_in_SC]What the heck is "popple"?
Here in South Carolina we just put out piles of corn.It's legal.

Stan in SC
Yeah Stan, well us Northern folk just ain't gotten that lazy yet.

Lazy? Its a lot of work keeping three feeders full of corn ( and expensive) :-) [/quote Just pullin' yer chain!

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Stan_in_SC
Gents,thanks for the clarification of popple.
gophergunner,
keeping corn out means carrying it from source to vehicle,from vehicle thru woods to point of consumption.At least twice and sometimes three times a week.Tain't easy when it is hot as blue blazes out and you are ,ahem,shall we say older.I wouldn't call it lazy.

Stan in SC
Stan-just trying to get a rise out of you guys-no real offense intended. Our neighbors in Michigan hunt over bait too.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
No sweat Gophergun this place is too much fun to get very serious about anything !

I get the whole bait debate . Two years ago the acorns didn't make here I would scare deer away from the feeder while walking to my stand in the a.m and they would be back under it crunching corn before my rear hit the seat in my stand . If I remember right I didn't kill deer at that stand . I do like to watch them and feeding keeps them in the area longer .

I think its also a "When in Rome " thing everybody puts out some sort of attractant here .

Archery season is 67 days away !

"Papa ! Nana made turtles in the potty !"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BrentD
Sounds like way too much work to me Stan. I'm ultra lazy though. I don't even build tree stands and the like. Just toss a few branches next to a tree and call it good, if I am bowhunting. For rifle hunting, I just park my butt wherever there is a nice view.

Folks work WAY too hard at deer hunting sometimes.

I would argue that my Summit Viper is the ultimate stand for the "lazy" hunter. I can either hunt OR nap, and it's awesome for both......

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Oh, those summit's are nice! I have a Loggy that will make me fall asleep as well. smile

Nice to see you back on here Dave! Where ya been?

Have you been in the woods much? On the bike? I have been getting back on my bike a bit and really forgot how much I like it. We have a pretty good trail system up here and these cooler days/evening have been great for a ride.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Gopher...How's the house coming along? Are you dried out? Please let me know what you need down there.

And it's getting to be time to dust off the shotguns and maybe take the rifles for a ride. Let me know if you have any plans for that. I do have to pop some rounds off on both rifles.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by tzone
Oh, those summit's are nice! I have a Loggy that will make me fall asleep as well. smile

Nice to see you back on here Dave! Where ya been?

Have you been in the woods much? On the bike? I have been getting back on my bike a bit and really forgot how much I like it. We have a pretty good trail system up here and these cooler days/evening have been great for a ride.

I did a 104-mile mountain bike race outside Flagstaff June 1st, so I was super-busy between training and working.

Now I am just going to the beach with the little-guy 1-2 times a day on my days off and working 2-3 days a week.

smile

IC B3

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by goalie

I did a 104-mile mountain bike race outside Flagstaff June 1st, so I was super-busy between training and working.

Jeezus...what's wrong with you? laugh

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by tzone
Originally Posted by goalie

Jeezus...what's wrong with you? laugh

Apparently a lot. whistle

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
What's important is how did you do? a 104 mi off-road race sounds like a hell of a battle.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What's important is how did you do? a 104 mi off-road race sounds like a hell of a battle.

It was horrible. It made doing an Ironman seem easy. I did get in great shape though.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I was thinking that you ought to be ready for a deep-country elk hunt now. I'm not going to be in half the shape you are this fall, but I'm going anyway. Just slower...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I was thinking that you ought to be ready for a deep-country elk hunt now. I'm not going to be in half the shape you are this fall, but I'm going anyway. Just slower...

I would be a damn good pack-mule right now for an elk hunt. Between the running, biking and the "daddy shoulder rides" my 5-year old gets, the legs are ready for anything.

I'll bet I could fit a lot of elk in my Kelty Yukon external frame pack.

smile

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Well, if you want to try it out - 2nd week of October above Dubois... I'll be happy to fill any backpack you bring. somewhere between 10000 and 12000 ft elevations.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
That's nose bleed country. Pass the O2 please.

Wife and I picked a little over 2 gallons of Black Raspberries this afternoon, plus a couple of quarts of Reds. Time to break out the ice cream.

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except for bears. Bears kill you.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Gophergunner,
I certainly took it in the fun manner you threw it out.We are all friends here.

Stan in SC

The more I listen,the more I hear....and vice versa.

45/70,it's almost a religion.

If you have to take a second shot then you probably shouldn't have taken the first shot.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mule1
No sweat Gophergun this place is too much fun to get very serious about anything !

I get the whole bait debate . Two years ago the acorns didn't make here I would scare deer away from the feeder while walking to my stand in the a.m and they would be back under it crunching corn before my rear hit the seat in my stand . If I remember right I didn't kill deer at that stand . I do like to watch them and feeding keeps them in the area longer .

I think its also a "When in Rome " thing everybody puts out some sort of attractant here .

Archery season is 67 days away !
I really don't even think it's a debate. What works in one area doesn't work in others. I know the guys in Texas hunt over bait too, and I see why. That brush looks like you'd need a howitzer to fish a round through it.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Page 1,160 of 1,842 1 2 1158 1159 1160 1161 1162 1841 1842

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

160 members (1OntarioJim, 257 roberts, 222Sako, 2500HD, 6mmCreedmoor, 16 invisible), 1,593 guests, and 937 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,372
Posts18,488,334
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.