Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I just cleaned a gun with KG and Butch's. Then I took the Wipe-Out challenge and they were right, barrel was not clean.

HR IC

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
IIRC, the Precision Shooter article on bore cleaners had Eliminator as their choice of copper cleaners and Slip 2000 as their choice of carbon cleaner. I got both products and have yet to be that impressed with Slip 2000.

Eliminator became my go to solvent for general use. I have most of the others products mentioned on this thread, just don't use them.

DF

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
I just cleaned a gun with KG and Butch's. Then I took the Wipe-Out challenge and they were right, barrel was not clean.

Get a borescope and you'll see why the Wipe Out challenge works. Many "clean" rifles aren't clean. And, it's often hard to tell what the bore looks like by the appearance of the patch. Patches can lie, the scope tells the truth... cool

My initial argument against buying a bore scope, I could get another very nice rifle scope for the same amount.

In reality, there is no rifle scope I use more than my Hawkeye. Rifle scopes get used in sequence, the Hawkeye gets used every time I clean a gun.

DF

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Ive been using Bore Tech Eliminator for almost 2 years and love it. No smell at all and is safe to leave in your bore I believe they recommend putting a wet patch through before putting the gun away for bore protection. Try it

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Per a Campfire thread a few years ago, I've been using WipeOut (letting it set for an hour), running patches through until clean, and then using some Butch's. This has worked very well for me.

If, however, BTE is better I'm ready to switch. I dislike cleaning guns...

ttpoz

in silvam ne ligna feras
(don't carry logs into the forest)
IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by jorgeI
I just don't see how that is possible. Wipeout Foam COMPLETELY removes the copper and fouling. Sure rough bores need more attention but I've tried everything and while Montana Products, Sweets & Barnes' ammonia based solvents work, they require a hell of a lot of elbow grease.

I use wipe out with a bore guide, foam it, let it sit overnight, run a acetone soaked patch through it in the morning and the bore will be bare metal clean. The bets stuff ever for cleaning a rifled barrel!

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Be careful with acetone getting on your stock finish. A bore guide with a cloth over the stock helps a lot.

DF

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I love wipe out, my blaser R-93 7mm RM barrel cleans with little effort, most of the time I get by with a bore snake. I love those, I carry one always in the field. At the end of season, I do a more through job. I use J Dewey rod and new brushes and bore mop. I use wipe out then a light gun oil and that it. I enjoy cleaning guns, always had. The blaser is easy, you pull the bolt out, take the barrel off the stock/ receiver, and it simple straight forward cleaning job. Put it back together and you are done. And the rifle always returns to zero.

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
CR-10

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Be careful with acetone getting on your stock finish. A bore guide with a cloth over the stock helps a lot.

DF

Thats what do and also apply the acetone inside the bore guide via its solvent port, instead of trying to push a soaked patch through.

IC B3

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by gunswizard
I have been using Butch's Bore Shine for a while now and have been well satisfied. Lately Montana Extreme has been getting a lot of good reviews. Your opinion of one over the other? Your pick and why?

I've used both, and currently have both. Of the two, Montana Extreme is a bit more aggressive, but only a bit in my estimation. However, I would not choose it over Butch's.

I was given my first bottle of Montana Extreme by a gentleman who made the mistake of taking a big wiff of it in his not-well-ventelated shop. After he recovered himself, he promply gave it to me.

If both are on the shelf, I'll choose Butch's. Otherwise, I'll buy what is available.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
When I need to get the copper out I put the Barnes CR-10 to it.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
If running patches incessantly through a bore floats your boat, then by all means CR-10, Sweets or Bore Tech are for you. Me, I just shoot it with Wipeout foam (some barrels require two or three treatments to be sure), leave it for an hour or overnight and I'm done..

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
jorge:

Leave it overnight and run a boresnake through it, your bore will be spotless.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
When you guys leave WO foam in overnight, that's just straight out of the can, no accellerant, nothing, nada, just foam?

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Does everybody's accuracy fall off so quickly that they're needing to clean to bare metal all the time?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
jorge:

Leave it overnight and run a boresnake through it, your bore will be spotless.

I do run it overnight but never with the accelerant as that has been found to be a bit corrosive. Mathman: I dont use it all the time but it does a great job with powder fouling

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by mathman
Does everybody's accuracy fall off so quickly that they're needing to clean to bare metal all the time?

Negative. But when I do have to clean, I hate it. So, I treated all my bores with Dyna Bore Coat and it works, but since you can spray it in and forget about it for a while I'm interested.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I knock back powder fouling in a couple of minutes with a bronze brush and Ballistol.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by JGRaider
When you guys leave WO foam in overnight, that's just straight out of the can, no accellerant, nothing, nada, just foam?

Stuff a rag in the action, give it a quick squirt in the muzzle, and let it soak. I am not positive, but I feel in the hot summer months the stuff can evaporate, so if you leave it overnight it might be too long. In the winter it stays wet all night, since I clean it in my garage.

Really is a lazy man's product. If I shoot 20+ rounds at the range, I just come home, blast some wipe-out in the muzzle and forget about it until the next morning. Then I just run a bore-snake through it twice, and put it back in the safe. Done.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

162 members (allscopedup, 35, 240NMC, 10Glocks, afisher, 14 invisible), 1,527 guests, and 855 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,503
Posts18,490,603
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.