Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1,161 of 1,842 1 2 1159 1160 1161 1162 1163 1841 1842
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by tzone
Gopher...How's the house coming along? Are you dried out? Please let me know what you need down there.

And it's getting to be time to dust off the shotguns and maybe take the rifles for a ride. Let me know if you have any plans for that. I do have to pop some rounds off on both rifles.
House is doing well Tom-thanks for the concern. Things might be changing around here. Eric might be going back to Ohio with his girl, and if that happens, I'm definitely gonna want to come up and hunt with you. We should have a little clearer picture here in a couple weeks. I'll keep you posted.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by goalie

I did a 104-mile mountain bike race outside Flagstaff June 1st, so I was super-busy between training and working.

Jeezus...what's wrong with you? laugh
Ha! Ha! Ha! Don't candy coat it Tom-just come out and say how you feel!

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yeah, Stan. No harm meant. I'd like to try that sometime. I'd also like to try hunting 'em over dogs with buckshot some time too. 'Sure sounds like a fun, different way to get a deer.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BrentD
Well, if you want to try it out - 2nd week of October above Dubois... I'll be happy to fill any backpack you bring. somewhere between 10000 and 12000 ft elevations.

Man, I wish the commander-in-chief would give me a pass to do some "real" hunting.

She would, but I would have to give up something. You always have to give up something.....

(I am just whining. She actually lets me do quite a bit, but we do have a five-year-old)

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gophergunner

I did a 104-mile mountain bike race outside Flagstaff June 1st, so I was super-busy between training and working.

He's met me, so it's OK. From what I've been told, not everyone is dumb enough to strap on goalie gear and let ex-NHL players shoot pucks at their head.

eek

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Wow been a while again. Just got caught up.

I am out of order until further notice. My "stupid people" filter needs cleaning and my "give a damn" batteries have run out.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

He's met me, so it's OK. From what I've been told, not everyone is dumb enough to strap on goalie gear and let ex-NHL players shoot pucks at their head.

eek
Your a better man than me! I can't even stand up on a pair of skates, let alone even think about letting someone take shots at me!

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Gopher gunner,
I have hunted on dog driven deer hunts.You sit and listen to the dogs run for a long time.When it sounds like they are coming your way the excitement level is wayyyyyy high.The deer are really moving fast ahead of the dogs so when and if you get a shot it is a quick proposition.AND you don't shoot just once.You empty the gun so as to stop an adrenalin charged deer being chased by predators.There's them that really like it.I prefer still hunting or stand hunting.

Stan in SC

The more I listen,the more I hear....and vice versa.

45/70,it's almost a religion.

If you have to take a second shot then you probably shouldn't have taken the first shot.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

eek
Your a better man than me! I can't even stand up on a pair of skates, let alone even think about letting someone take shots at me!

Don't let David fool you. He's a lot better at it than he leads on. He's very good actually.

Camp is where you make it.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Gophergunner,

You already know that you can come up and hunt with us. I've been thinking about making a run up there soon to build a few blinds/hang some stands and some cameras.

Just let me know.

The lady friend tell him it's time to go back?

Camp is where you make it.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Stan_in_SC
Gopher gunner,
I have hunted on dog driven deer hunts.You sit and listen to the dogs run for a long time.When it sounds like they are coming your way the excitement level is wayyyyyy high.The deer are really moving fast ahead of the dogs so when and if you get a shot it is a quick proposition.AND you don't shoot just once.You empty the gun so as to stop an adrenalin charged deer being chased by predators.There's them that really like it.I prefer still hunting or stand hunting.

Stan in SC

Does that change the taste of the venison? I have only shot one big deer that ran a long ways, and it had a much more gamey taste than other deer from the same area of similar size. I always wondered if the fact that the deer was all jacked-up and had adrenaline pumping through it made the difference?

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
The combination of adrenalin,dried blood in the meat and the fact that they usually are pretty shot up does not make for tasty meat.You can even soak it in vinegar/water/ice for three or four days and it still is gamey bad tasting.I just do not care for the meat obtained in that manner nor the type of hunting.
I'm not knocking it because as I said before there's them that REALLY like the method.It just is not for me.

Stan in SC

The more I listen,the more I hear....and vice versa.

45/70,it's almost a religion.

If you have to take a second shot then you probably shouldn't have taken the first shot.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yeah, I'd just like to give it a try some time. 'Grew up running beagles for rabbits, and really enjoy hearing the hounds bawl when they get a snootful of scent.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Stan, when I lived and worked in SC, I saw these hunts regularly. What I never figured out was how it was that more deer died than people. I'd see these guys lining a dirt road across a swamp or river bottom and they would all be waiting for the dogs and drivers coming towards them. They were spaced maybe 150 yds at most, usually closer. How they miss the drivers and the standers and hit deer, I'll never know. Couldn't see more than 20yds off the road so I figure most of the shooting would be in the right of way.

We have shotgun deer drives that are not a whole lot different - just no dogs. Too many guys get shot and I don't do it. But I still was almost hit while laying on a mud bar in a river duck hunting at the time when a gang came by and a deer jumped into the river. We had slugs in the mud behind us and slugs splashing in the decoys. Now I try not to even leave the basement during shotgun season.

Yeah, that dog hunting is sure different, but man, I don't understand it.

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
never hunted deer over dogs, had a chance to when I lived in virginia for a spell, kinda wish I had done it just to say I did it.

SD draw results are posted. Kendra drew one of the coveted 27L tags! I'm so excited for her! woohoo!

big goose egg for my black hills tag, I did draw 27B though, so that's good!

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That's the same way I feel-I'd just like to try it once just to say I did it.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
could use prayers for my grandpa, he's en route to the hospital

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Fall has arrived? New low temp record, 46* this morning. Saturday we tied a 100 + year low high temp of 56*.

Spend Saturday at Deer Fest in Oshkosh. Lots of TV personalities there, Lee and Tiffany, Pat and Nicole plus a number of others. I was to distracted by the booth babes to pay any attention to the others. grin

Grand daughter got a pair of Muck boots and my SIL and I picked up a few things we needed.

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except for bears. Bears kill you.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Colorado1135
could use prayers for my grandpa, he's en route to the hospital

Sent

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
thank you! just got word he's doing better, adjusting his medication and keeping him overnight.

he got really pale this morning and fainted. took an ambulance to the hospital and we've been waiting hours for an update. glad to hear it's not nearly as bad as it could have been.

Page 1,161 of 1,842 1 2 1159 1160 1161 1162 1163 1841 1842

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

621 members (007FJ, 10Glocks, 160user, 12savage, 12344mag, 10ring1, 70 invisible), 2,109 guests, and 1,344 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,911
Posts18,479,524
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.