Print Thread
Hop To
#79348 08/04/02
P
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
Just wondering if any of you have a favourite Bannock recipe? Or are they all pretty well the same.
<br>Bill

"The 375HH is the greatest level of power you can get for the investment in recoil." (JJHack)
79s and losttrail, biggest waste of air.
GB1

#79349 08/05/02
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Parts, I don't think I ever ate one. How do you fix them? When is the season? Don't think we got any around here. [Linked Image]
<br>
<br>BCR

Quando Omni Moritati
#79350 08/05/02
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
4 cups flour
<br>
<br>4 teaspoons baking powder
<br>
<br>1 teaspoon salt
<br>
<br>4 tablespoons oil
<br>
<br>Add enough water to achieve a bread dough consistency
<br>
<br>Mix ingredients well and knead for approximately ten minutes. Grease and heat a fry pan. Form the dough into cakes about 1/2 inch thick and dust lightly with flour. Shake the pan at intervals to prevent the bannock from sticking to the pan. Once a bottom crust has formed and the dough has hardened enough to hold together, you can turn the bannock cakes.
<br>
<br>Cooking takes 12-15 minutes. Test whether or not the bannock is ready by inserting a toothpick into the loaf. If it comes out clean, the bannock is ready to eat.
<br>
<br>If you don't have an available fry pan you can make a thicker dough by adding less water. Roll the dough into a long ribbon, no wider than an inch. Wind this around a preheated green hardwood stick and cook over a fire, turning occasionally, until the bannock is cooked. Usually have meat in the cast iron so this method gets used fairly often.
<br>
<br>Mike

#79351 08/05/02
P
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
Well I had seen this at our tourist stop in the Fraser Canyon, called Hells Gate but rather than buy it, I figured I would make it instead. Looks like a type of round bread or bun. So should be good.
<br>Bill

"The 375HH is the greatest level of power you can get for the investment in recoil." (JJHack)
#79352 08/05/02
P
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
Thanks Carbonman: Sounds like a superheroes name. I will try that recipe and see how it goes. Appreciate it.
<br>Bill

IC B2

#79353 08/05/02
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Bill,
<br>The name relates more to being covered with black carbon dust than any kind of heroism. My air handling unit is better these days. Used to be this norweigen boy came home looking pretty dark after a day building barrels.
<br>Mike

#79354 08/06/02
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Oh, that's what it is. I just didn't know it by that name. We always called it wedge a$$ or cropper biscuit. Same recipe same cooking process.
<br>
<br>BCR

Quando Omni Moritati
#79355 08/06/02
P
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
Well I guess we can't all talk Texan, I guess a lot of these foods, have aquired different names, depending on the location where they are made.

#79356 08/07/02
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Partsman,
<br>I take bannock makings to camp with me all the time..I usually have a small wood stove in moose camp and as I'm glassing for bulls, I have some bannock in process.
<br>We are usually blessed with some blueberries about that time of year and I throw in a handful....
<br>
<br>The recipes are all much the same....I prefer to mix 1/3 corn meal in the mix or wheat germ....some folks just use Bisquik or some bicuit mix.....the trick is to keep the heat moderate....serve with good butter/jam/honey etc...sometimes we brak it up and cover with moose stew.....
<br>
<br>I have seen it cooked as a ribbon wrapped around a stick when cooking utensils were not available....
<br>
<br>But, for long canoe trips or when limited by Supercub space, I find it to be a great food to have along. When weathered in, bannock baking is a great diversion.
<br>
<br>Do a search on "bannock" and you will find some of the recipes.....The Hudson Bay Posts had a keg on a pivot that could be opened...favorite ingredients inserted and the keg revolved for mixing of dry ingredients. The mix was carried in a large flour sack.....to mix a batch; punch a fist depression in top of mix and pour in a quantity of water....the amount of mix saturated by that water is a ball of dough for the fry pan....
<br>
<br>making me hungry....

#79357 08/07/02
P
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
Thanks for the info, it does make one hungry thinking of all this good stuff. I figured it would be nice to make it up for the hunt I am going on in October for moose.

IC B3

#79358 08/07/02
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I like it so well that I cook it at home in the oven. Just put your dough in a well greased cast iron pan and bake till nearly done. Then turn on the broiler and move it up on a higher rack and brown the top a bit. I often sprinkle brown sugar and cinammon on when doing this. Add raisins, huckleberries, blueberries to the dough too if you want a bit of variety.

#79359 08/07/02
P
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
Stocker: Thank you for that info, I had thought about it for hunting, but it would be a good idea to try it at home first. So now that you brought that up, I will try it first at home and then will know how it works out.
<br>Bill

#79360 10/24/02
Lin Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
BANNOCK
<br>5 tsp baking powder
<br>5 cups flour
<br>2 TBSP sugar
<br>1 1/2 tsp salt
<br>1/2 cup lard melted
<br>3/4 cup milk
<br>3/4 cup water
<br>
<br>Combine dry ingredients.
<br> Add lard and mix thoroughly.
<br>Add milk and water. Gather into a ball and knead.
<br>Divide into 2 balls. Roll out and prick all sides.
<br>
<br>Bake at 350 F for 1/2 hour.
<br>
<br>NOTE: This is the BANNOCK the native Canadian Indians make.
<br>
<br>
<br>The following is for you, Bullwinkle and your "cook book of regional nature".
<br>Historical Notes:
<br>"Bannock, a simple type of scone was cooked in poineer days over open fires. Variations in flours and the addtional of dried or fresh fruit make this bread the simple choice of Canadian campers even today. Oven baking has become an acceptable alternative to the cast iron frypan. McKelvie's resturant in Halifax serves an oatmeal version similatr to this one. For plain bannock, omit rolled oats and increase the all purpose flour to 1 cup.... One of the earliest quick breads, bannock was as simple as flour, salt, a bit of fat (often bacon grease) and water. In gold rush days, dough was mixed right in the prospector's flour bag and cooked in a frypan over an open fire. Indians wrapped a similar dough around sticks driven into the ground beside their camp fire, baking it along with freshly caught fish. Today's native 'Fried Bread' is like bannock and cooked in a skillet. Newfoundlander's 'Damper Dogs' are small rounds of dough cooked on the stove's dampers while 'Toutons' are similar bits of dough deep fried. At a promotional luncheon for the 1992 Inuit Circumpolar Conference, Eskimo Doughnuts, deep fried rings of bannock dough, were served. It is said that Inuit children prefer these "doughnuts" to sweet cookies. Red River settlers from Scotland made a frugal bannock with lots of flour, little sugar and drippings or lard. Now this same bread plays a prominent part in Winnipeg's own Folklorama Festival. At Expo '86 in Vanocuver, buffalo on bannock buns was a popular item at the North West Territories ' restaurant. In many regions of Canada, whole wheat flour or wheat germ replaces part of the flour and cranberries or blueberries are sometimes added. A Saskatchewan firm markets a bannock mix, and recipe books from coast to coast upgrade bannock with butter, oatmeal, raisins, cornmeal and dried fruit."
<br>
<br>SOURCE: "The First Decade" chapter in "A Century of Canadian Home Cooking"
<br>
<br>

Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect. It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfections.
#79361 10/31/02
S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
PP - Thanks for putting up that excellent recipe. I do a quicky version, flour, baking powder, salt. Then add water and throw in grease on hot iron. Gonna try yours for the gourmet version!
<br>
<br>Regards, sse

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

465 members (1minute, 1beaver_shooter, 1234, 1badf350, 17CalFan, 222Sako, 49 invisible), 2,115 guests, and 1,145 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,253
Posts18,504,708
Members73,998
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.