Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by mathman
I knock back powder fouling in a couple of minutes with a bronze brush and Ballistol.

Good stuff.

CAS shooters love it, especially the BP crowd.

I use it it on my guns for corrosion protection. It won't hurt wood or finishes and isn't a petrol product.

DF

HR IC

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I knock back powder fouling in a couple of minutes with a bronze brush and Ballistol.

You can do the same thing with Kroil or Kroil mixed with Butch's or Hoppe's too, but one squirt with Wipeout accomplishes the same thing.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
In two minutes?

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Another vote in favor of BTE. I've used it for a few years. Only use nylon brushes and jags because anything copper alloy will melt away quickly. No smell, no color to speak of.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
In two minutes?

In one hour, or you can leave overnight.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Moly.....

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hmmm. Kroil and a Butch's mix huh? Got both; may have to give that one a whirl.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Does everybody's accuracy fall off so quickly that they're needing to clean to bare metal all the time?

Good point.

Many shooters will clean down to bare metal--then shoot a couple of fouling shots before hunting. Seems like defeating the point--of taking it down to bare metal.

I shoot until accuracy falls off. Then I clean. I don't try to take it down to bare metal. I take it down until the bore feels smooth as I run a patch down it. When I'm done, I don't need to fire several fouling shots to settle the barrel. But then 300 yards is a loooong way for me!

YMMV

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by GeorgiaBoy
Does everybody's accuracy fall off so quickly that they're needing to clean to bare metal all the time?

Good point.

Many shooters will clean down to bare metal--then shoot a couple of fouling shots before hunting. Seems like defeating the point--of taking it down to bare metal.

I shoot until accuracy falls off. Then I clean. I don't try to take it down to bare metal. I take it down until the bore feels smooth as I run a patch down it. When I'm done, I don't need to fire several fouling shots to settle the barrel. But then 300 yards is a loooong way for me!

YMMV

Hey, whatever works.

I have a 6.5-284 Krieger that just doesn't foul. It's Dyna Bore Coat treated and wasn't much of a fouler before. It seems to shoot best dirty, so I shoot it all season without cleaning. I do clean it at the end of the season, just because. Powder residue is about all I see with the borescope and it's gone after a few passes with an Eliminator soaked patch.

Other rifles do better kept pretty clean.

DF

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Another one for Eliminator, the best I've used, I use it with Dewey aluminum jags otherwise you'll never get rid of the blue patches...incredible stuff!

IC B3

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Just a few general comments:

I've tried Butch's and Butch's with Kroil, and quit using both after getting my bore-scope a decade ago. You DON'T know how clean a bore is until you use one.

I can't believe people are still using ammonia-based cleaners that have to be shoved down the bore every 15 minutes to prevent harming the bore. There are so many good products that can be just left in there for an hour or overnight that actually take both powder and copper with no more effort than letting them soak.

Of course, I've also noticed rifle loonys often choose to do tasks that make no difference at all, even after they've learned they make no difference, just so they can fuss over their rifles and ammo.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
...and quit using both after getting my bore-scope a decade ago. You DON'T know how clean a bore is until you use one.

I used to think only a few people owned bore scopes. After reading this thread, I came to the realization that I'm one of the few without one.............

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Just a few general comments:

I've tried Butch's and Butch's with Kroil, and quit using both after getting my bore-scope a decade ago. You DON'T know how clean a bore is until you use one.

I can't believe people are still using ammonia-based cleaners that have to be shoved down the bore every 15 minutes to prevent harming the bore. There are so many good products that can be just left in there for an hour or overnight that actually take both powder and copper with no more effort than letting them soak.

Of course, I've also noticed rifle loonys often choose to do tasks that make no difference at all, even after they've learned they make no difference, just so they can fuss over their rifles and ammo.

Good points, I for one have never been comfortable leaving any solvents in my bores for hours let alone overnite since I'm not sure whats in them, but BTE seems to work fairly fast!

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I use Tiptons truly remarkable bore cleaner or whatever its called

Don't sniff test it for ammonia......it'll drop you like a rock!

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Mule Deer,

Is Butch's an ammonia-based cleaner? I thought it was not, that's why I use it.

Can you reccommend some cleaners that are not ammonia-based that work as you described?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Wipeout....

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
If it smells like ammonia, about knocks your head off with a good whiff, it's ammonia or an ammonium compound.

Some say "no ammonia", meaning no NH3. Ammonium compounds (NH4+) aren't technically ammonia, but produce a similar effect. Some ammonium compounds, when in the presence of certain chemicals, give off plenty of ammonia. And ammonia is pretty corrosive.

I go with the sniff test. If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck... shocked

DF

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I've tried everything and while Montana Products, Sweets & Barnes' ammonia based solvents work, they require a hell of a lot of elbow grease.

In fact, no elbow grease at all with Montana. It's an oil based ammonia. Leave it in the barrel over night or a week. It won't harm the metal like water based ammonia aka Sweets.

N
ned Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
wipeout/patchout with the accelerator will remove duracoat for sure. was doing a bit of 'sperimenting to see what would take it off on a barreled action that I wanted it off. got a rag wet with it and wrapped it around the barrel for the night and it came off with a toothbrush.

very interested in hearing more about the accelerator not being safe to leave in overnight. doesn't seem to have caused any issues for me but perhaps I just don't know it has.

i did use butches for a long time and when I switched to the Montana line I realized how lousy it was. headed to BTE to give it a try.

Ride well, shoot straight, and speak the truth.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
GeorgiaBoy,

To my knowledge Butch's isn't ammonia-based, but in my experience it doesn't work all that well either.

Evidently you misinterpreted my post. There are SOME ammonia-based cleaners that you can leave in the bore. As SU35 noted, Montana X-Treme is an ammonia cleaner in an oil base, so can safely be left in the bore. All of the older ammonia-based cleaners I know of (Sweet's, CR-10, etc.) are in a water base, so another patch has to be shoved through the bore every 15 minutes or the ammonia starts to oxidize and etches the bore.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

542 members (1minute, 1badf350, 1234, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 10Glocks, 56 invisible), 2,466 guests, and 1,253 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,557
Posts18,491,741
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.