Print Thread
Hop To
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Gents:

I could use a little purchase advise on a backpack for my wife. She is leaving next week on a 3-4 day backpack trip to climb King's Peak in Utah (+14,000'). I think the hike into the base camp is about a day, then a day to ascend and descend the peak and then a day to hike out.

I'd like to get her a nice pack. She has an old external frame pack that our son used as a scout. It is sturdy and I think small or medium frame (wife is petite).

Should I just go with the Boy Scout pack or get her an internal frame pack. If so, what make and model.

Thanks,

Jordan

Communists: I still hate them even after they changed their name to "liberals".

My boss asked why I wasn't working. I told him I was being a democrat for Halloween.
GB1

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Deutor(spelling) makes great womens packs. My wife had one. We tried on several different makes and she settled on them. I'm sure it didn't help that it had pretty colors and flowers sewn in to it.

We let me hunting partners wife barrow it and she got one to.

life, liberty, and the pursuit of all who THREATEN it!!!!
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
http://www.deuter.com/en_US/backpacks.php?category=131

Found the link for ya.

One thing I do see is that they are fairly light and have lots of air flow.

life, liberty, and the pursuit of all who THREATEN it!!!!
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I often recommend Granite Gear for a new backpacker w/ general needs. They have several women's specific designs: GG Leopard

R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Thanks guys. 'Preciate it. We've decided to use the Boy Scout pack and spend the money on something else. She's a tough old gal. She'll handle it fine. smile

Last edited by RobJordan; 07/27/13.

Communists: I still hate them even after they changed their name to "liberals".

My boss asked why I wasn't working. I told him I was being a democrat for Halloween.
IC B2

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Rob: my youngest daughter and I hiked Kings Peak a couple of summers ago. Same schedule as your wife. My daughter had a Mystery Ranch Big Sky but for now I would forget the pack and buy your wife a mosquito head net! Just about all the camping at the base of the peak is marsh-like and the mosquitos are terrible. Take all the bug stuff she can carry especially the botanical stuff like Badger Balm for around your face.

View from the top: (we just took little knapsacks to the summit)

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Two goats on the hike to the summit (we also saw a lot of moose in the marshy areas):

[Linked Image]

C
C
Nothing wrong with an external frame pack. I prefer my old Kelty Super Tioga. I tend to sweat and the gap between the pack and my back allows for some air movement. I also like the fact that it lets me walk more upright. The downside is if you going to be going off trail/scrambling then the external tends to make you a little tippy as it holds the weight away from you body. If the decision comes up again, visit a backpacking store and have your wife try on lots of different makes and models. There are two considerations, size and fit. Take what you will be carrying to the store with you and pack the bag. The right pack and shoes really make the trip.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Lightweight and not too big is good. I like to bring too much, my girls want to bring even more. I think they believe their is an electrical outlet in every tree!
I have a mountainsmith chimera for women that is lightweight and not big enough to get severely overpacked and too heavy. Several of them have used it and they all like it. (Well they didn't complain which translates into it must have worked fine.)

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I bought both my daughters Lowe Alpine internal frame packs that are height adjustable and for women years ago when they were just girls and started going to the Adirondacks for the summer. They do multiple 3-day trips and these packs have been great for them as they can grow as the girls grow...they are now 17 & 15 and the packs still work great...maybe not as important for your wife, but just thought I'd share.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
The Lowe Alpines are a good bargain in the pack world. A fine choice. I am a Kifaru addict, but loved my old Lowe Alpines.

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

589 members (1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 1badf350, 10ring1, 59 invisible), 2,629 guests, and 1,269 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,295
Posts18,525,805
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.